Identifying Chemical/Pharmaceutical Structures: Tips and Tricks - tIA

• Thread starter nubee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a chemical or pharmaceutical structure. The person asking for help wants to know either the drug name or the chemical name. The expert confirms the correct chemical formula and suggests adding hydrogens to each carbon to correctly identify the structure. The person eventually figures out that the structure is bambuterol and confirms the correct number of hydrogens. They also thank the expert for their help in recalling the process of identifying structures.
nubee
what is this structure??

Can anyone help in the identification of this chemical / pharmaceutical structure, tIA...

Attachments

• structure.jpg
    structure.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org

What are you asking for? The name of the structure?

well, either the drug name (if you know it) or the chemical name (like C18 H21 N3 O5 etc)
I can't figure it out! Thanks

The chemical formula you have provided is correct for the number of C's, N's, and O's, but the number of H's is wrong (it is not 21). I don't want to give the name directly because this smells like a homework question...but I can confirm if you have the right formula when you get there.

thks anyway, I've figured it out it's bambuterol! so the H=29??

Correct :wink:

tbh got the answer on another forum, but how do you work out the no of hydrogens, got abit confused, it's been a while since i studied this stuff!

Make sure there are 4 bonds attached to each carbon. If there aren't 4 bonds attached to a carbon then "add hydrogens" to that carbon until it has 4 bonds.

oh yeah, now it's all coming back to me. Thanks again for your help! :)

1. What is the purpose of this structure?

The purpose of a structure can vary depending on its type and location. Some structures are built for shelter or protection, while others serve as support for other structures or as a means of transportation. The specific purpose of a structure can also be influenced by its design and materials used.

2. What factors are considered when designing a structure?

When designing a structure, factors such as location, function, materials, and safety must be taken into consideration. The location and function of a structure can determine the type and size of materials used, while safety concerns include factors such as load-bearing capacity and potential hazards.

3. How is the stability of a structure determined?

The stability of a structure is determined by various factors, including its design, materials, and environmental conditions. Structural engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the stability and strength of a structure, taking into account factors such as weight distribution, wind and seismic forces, and potential stresses.

4. What are the different types of structures?

Structures can be classified into different types based on their purpose and design. Some common types of structures include buildings, bridges, dams, tunnels, and towers. They can also be categorized as natural structures, such as caves and trees, or man-made structures, such as roads and monuments.

5. How does the design of a structure impact its overall strength?

The design of a structure plays a crucial role in determining its overall strength and stability. A well-designed structure takes into account various factors, such as load distribution, material strength, and potential hazards, to ensure it can withstand expected forces and remain standing for its intended lifespan.