What is this tool and how is it used to study light?

In summary, the conversation is about a photo that shows a kit called Laser Refraction Tank, which is used to study light from glass to air. The material of the kit could be glass, plastic, or any other liquid. The photo also shows a protractor in the background, and the tool is called a semicircular prism. It is easier to study light using a semicircular prism compared to a rectangular prism, as the light from the source is undeflected. The kit allows for easier exploration of total-internal reflection as well.
lightresearch
Hi!
I'm doing a light research project and to have a refraction and reflection ( I don't know if it's like this in eglish) visual representation I came up with this photo. I don't know the name of this tool and also what is it made of? In my opinion is just a glass but I don't really know. Thanks!
F%C3%A9nyt%C3%B6r%C3%A9s.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What nice about the semicircular prism is that you can more easily study light from glass to air (compared to a rectangular prism).
From the semicircular side, aim the light source at the origin of the semicircle (the midpoint of the straight edge).
Since the normal direction at the semicircular interface is radial, the light from the source is undeflected (as is evident from the photo)...
so that one just has to handle the rays at the flat glass-to-air interface (as opposed to two or more sets using a rectangular prism).
One can explore total-internal reflection more easily.

1. What is the purpose or function of this tool?

The purpose of a tool refers to what it was designed to do. This can vary depending on the specific tool, but generally tools are created to help with a specific task or problem.

2. What is the name or title of this tool?

The name of a tool is the specific word or phrase used to identify it. It may also be known as the title or label of the tool.

3. How does this tool work?

The way a tool works depends on its design and intended use. Some tools may be manual, requiring physical force to operate, while others may be powered by electricity or other forms of energy.

4. What are the different parts or components of this tool?

Most tools are made up of various parts or components that work together to perform a specific task. These parts may include handles, blades, motors, and other structures.

5. Are there any safety precautions or guidelines for using this tool?

Safety is an important consideration when using any tool. It is important to read and understand the instructions for proper use and any potential hazards associated with the tool.