1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is this tool named?

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    Hi!
    I'm doing a light research project and to have a refraction and reflection ( I don't know if it's like this in eglish) visual representation I came up with this photo. I don't know the name of this tool and also what is it made of? In my opinion is just a glass but I dont really know. Thanks! F%C3%A9nyt%C3%B6r%C3%A9s.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 8, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What nice about the semicircular prism is that you can more easily study light from glass to air (compared to a rectangular prism).
    From the semicircular side, aim the light source at the origin of the semicircle (the midpoint of the straight edge).
    Since the normal direction at the semicircular interface is radial, the light from the source is undeflected (as is evident from the photo)...
    so that one just has to handle the rays at the flat glass-to-air interface (as opposed to two or more sets using a rectangular prism).
    One can explore total-internal reflection more easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted