1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this unit of force?

  1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    I'm reading a paper on a simulation of graphene and carbon nanotube growth on SiC, in the paper they give a few computational details about the structural optimization of the SiC model using a conjugate gradient method and they state the maximal force component as

    What is this unit? I'm assuming Ha per angstrom...but Ha seem to be a unit of area...I need to convert to eV/Angstrom
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    I would have guessed that
    Ha = Hartree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartree
    ##a_0## = Bohr radius.

    And that gives you energy per unit length, which is what you need.

    (ETA: If it were lowercase "ha" would be "hectare" -- if that's what you were thinking. Angstrom is written like Å not ##a_0##)
  4. Aug 4, 2015 #3
    When I bought carpet for my house it came on a roll that covered 5 x 10-14 hectares per Ångstrom :wink:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook