1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this unit?

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Change the forum if this is in the wrong place but I was doing some math (multiplying hertz and watts) and I came with 4.8912 × 10^12 m^2 kg / s^4, I don't know what unit that is, so can anybody tell me if there even is one?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2
    there is no known physical quantity with those dimensions.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

[tex]Watt = Joule/s = kg*m^2*s^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]Hertz = s^{-1}[/tex]

So your units are correct. Basically it's Joules per s^2, or Watts per second.

But as pointed out, it is unusual to multiply power and frequency. What was the calculation for?

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4
    I meant to divide hertz and watts and I would get 2 122.91667 m^-2 * kg^-1 * s^2 so now I think my question truly is what is that unit

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As asked, what are you trying to accomplish? It almost seems like you are doing blind math, hoping to stumble on something interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  7. Jan 1, 2012 #6
    I was trying to find how far one photon can go like with a radio transmitter, how far could one of those photons could go. And now I found I did not have enough information to do these calculations.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #7
    There's no limit to how far a photon can go. But I'm not sure you can come to a conclusion like that by doing dimensional analysis. Sometimes interesting things can pop out though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook