What Is the Meaning of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$?

• B
  • Thread starter askor
  • Start date
In summary, The question is asking about the meaning of the second derivative of y with respect to x. This can be calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative, or by rewriting the equation in terms of x and taking the derivative. This concept is similar to acceleration, which is the second derivative of position with respect to time. Rewriting in terms of a parametric variable, such as t, allows for the calculation of the derivative in that form.
askor
Can someone please tell me what is meant by ##\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx})##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the 2nd derivative of y with respect to x.

If ##y = t^2## and ##x = t##, what is its ##\frac{d}{dx} (\frac{dy}{dx})##?

I know that ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2t}{1} = 2t##.

You can rewrite ##y = t^2## as ##y = x^2##. Then ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x##.

Take the next derivative of that.

What about, if, ##y = t^2 +2t + 1## and ##x = t##, what is its 2nd derivative?

Same idea. Rewrite it in terms of x and take the derivatives.

It looks like acceleration to me ##-## 2nd derivative of position with respect to time, the 1st being velocity, the 3rd being jerk, the 4th, jounce or snap (jounce being by some called snap at least partly so that some whimsical people can wryly call the 4th, 5th, and 6th, snap crackle, and pop, respectively.

Doc Al said:
Same idea. Rewrite it in terms of x and take the derivatives.
Can you show in terms of t (parametric)? I know that ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt}##.

Just use t as the variable and take derivatives with respect to t.

Can you show in form of t (parametric)? I know that ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt}/\frac{dx}{dt}##.

What is the concept of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$?

The concept of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ is known as the second derivative of a function. It represents the rate of change of the slope of a function with respect to the independent variable.

How is $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ calculated?

To calculate $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$, we use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What is the physical interpretation of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$?

The physical interpretation of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ is the acceleration of a moving object at a specific point in time. It tells us how the velocity of the object is changing over time.

What is the difference between $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ and $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$?

While both represent the second derivative of a function, $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ is the derivative of the derivative, while $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ is the second derivative itself. In other words, $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ is the process of finding the second derivative, while $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ is the result of that process.

What are the applications of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$?

Some common applications of $\frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx}$ include finding the concavity of a curve, determining the maximum or minimum points of a function, and analyzing the acceleration of a moving object. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand various phenomena.