Mystery in the Sky: What is the Rainbow-Shaped Cloud?

In summary, a rainbow-like object was seen in the clouds yesterday and again today in the same location, and it appeared to be larger and more vibrant today. There is a theory that this is a result of sunlight reflecting off of ice crystals in the atmosphere.
moose
What IS this?

Yesterday I was driving home from school when I saw that in the clouds there was what seemed to look like a portion of a rainbow :confused: :confused:

I thought it was weird, so I took a picture of it while driving, with my cell phone, so it's not the best quality :redface:

Anyway, today I was driving home from school, and again, in the same exact location, it was there again! What is this?

I'm in Arizona and this was almost exactly to the West.

this is just the rainbow looking thing, click on the picture to see the full pic
http://www.twilightus.net/adam/DSC00742.JPG"

Also, today it appeared to be slightly larger with more vibrant colors.

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
moose said:
Yesterday I was driving home from school when I saw that in the clouds there was what seemed to look like a portion of a rainbow :confused: :confused:

I thought it was weird, so I took a picture of it while driving, with my cell phone, so it's not the best quality :redface:

Anyway, today I was driving home from school, and again, in the same exact location, it was there again! What is this?

I'm in Arizona and this was almost exactly to the West.

this is just the rainbow looking thing, click on the picture to see the full pic
http://www.twilightus.net/adam/DSC00742.JPG"

Also, today it appeared to be slightly larger with more vibrant colors.

:confused:

I saw that prism effect when I was driving home today! Are you sure you don't live in Knoxville?

Edit: Have you ever noticed that you can see it better with polarized sunglasses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks yomamma!

It's a sun dog

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/sundog.htm

moose said:

Um... it wasn't the best decision either.

JasonRox said:
Um... it wasn't the best decision either.
I was at a red light.

moose said:
I was at a red light.

You did all that in 3 seconds?

JasonRox said:
You did all that in 3 seconds?

One button takes a picture. I pointed the cell phone in the general direction, pressed the button. Plus, the light just turned red as I was pulling up to the intersection, so I had more than 3 seconds anyway.

EDIT: Notice how in the full pic, the sun dog is not in the center at all.

Moose, that is so cool! I missed my once in a lifetime opportunity to photograph a sun column. :cry: A dozen cameras, and none had working batteries.

Evo, I just searched what a sun column is... That is awesome, I hope that I'll get to see one someday! Sucks about the batteries though :mad:

lol, I looked today, and there was no sun dog out to greet me :frown:

moose said:
Evo, I just searched what a sun column is...
This column was incredible, I have yet to find a picture that comes close to what I saw. It was a solid hot pink column and it was almost a full inch wide (from my perspective).

You were extremely lucky to see that sundog. I envy you.

I did see another phenomena years ago. It was a circle around the moon that started as a halo just around the full moon, but as we watched, it started moving out, away from the moon, but remained a perfect circle, just growing larger and larger. It was a thin band that kept expanding out. We watched until it reached the edges of the viewable sky. I have yet to see a description of this exactly, but have found reference to a somewhat similar phenomenom caused by ice crystals in the air. It was reported on the news, but they had no explanation of it. Tons of people were calling in asking what it was. It was so many years ago, I don't believe there is any film of it. :frown:

Evo said:
Tons of people were calling in asking what it was.

It was a glitch in the energy shield bubble covering the Earth by the aliens! :tongue2:

I hope that I will see cool effects in my lifetime! Maybe we should have a thread on what weird things people have seen in the sky.

1. What causes the rainbow-shaped cloud?

The rainbow-shaped cloud is caused by a phenomenon known as cloud iridescence. It occurs when sunlight is diffracted or scattered by water droplets or ice crystals in the cloud, creating a rainbow-like effect.

2. Can the rainbow-shaped cloud appear at any time of the day?

Yes, the rainbow-shaped cloud can appear at any time of the day as long as the sun is shining and there are enough water droplets or ice crystals in the cloud to create the diffraction effect.

3. Are rainbow-shaped clouds rare?

Rainbow-shaped clouds are not extremely rare, but they are not a common occurrence either. They are more likely to be seen in high-altitude clouds, and their appearance can also be affected by weather conditions and cloud composition.

4. Can the rainbow-shaped cloud predict weather patterns?

No, the presence of a rainbow-shaped cloud does not have any correlation with weather patterns. It is simply a result of light interacting with the cloud's water droplets or ice crystals and does not have any predictive abilities.

5. Are there other types of rainbow-shaped clouds?

Yes, there are other types of rainbow-shaped clouds such as circumhorizontal arcs, which form parallel to the horizon, and circumzenithal arcs, which form near the zenith point in the sky. These are less common than the traditional rainbow-shaped cloud but are still caused by the same diffraction effect.