1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this? ;)

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    z = x2-y2
    How do I draw it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
    How would you draw any graph? Answer: By making a table of values and plotting them.
  4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    yes I say that z = const and look further
  5. Nov 28, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

But z is not a constant, according to the equation in your first post.

A more sophisticated approach than that of the other responder is to look at a variety of cross-sections. The graph of z = x^2 - y^2 is a three-dimensional surface. The intersection of the surface with the x-z plane (where y = 0) is a parabola, and so is the intersection of the surface with the y-z plane (where x = 0).

Look at the intersections with the planes y = +/-1, +/-2 and so on, as well as the planes x = +/-1, +/-2. These might help you visualize what the surface looks like.
  6. Nov 28, 2008 #5
    I wouldn't. I would set y = 0. Draw that like you would in high school z = x^2, looks like a parabola in the x going up /wrt z. Do the same for y = 0, except you get a parabola going down in the yz plane. I would say you can stop there. Draw one of the parabolas in xyz system. Suppose you choose z = -y^2. Then you get a parabola that is going down around the z axis. Now attach one of your z=x^2 parabolas to some points that lie on the z = -y^2 parabola. You can generally get a frame for a 3d graph like this. If you are really careful, the graph might look like a horses saddle.
  7. Nov 29, 2008 #6
    yeah, that's what i was thinking - it might be a horse saddle !!!
    But I wasn't sure about how to draw it carefully. Thank you all.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?