Explore the World of Baryons: Links to Learn More

In summary, baryons are massive particles made up of three quarks, including the proton and neutron. They are different from mesons, which have only two quarks, and are part of the hadron family of particles. Baryons have a baryon number and strangeness, which are important for interactions and decays. The recent discovery of pentaquarks has been controversial and is still considered hypothetical. If you want to learn more about these particles, you can start with online sources like Wikipedia and the Particle Adventure website, but keep in mind that the concept of baryons being composed of only three quarks is oversimplified.
Biologik
I quoted this from Hyper Physics, and I want to learn more about this, where can I? I am asking for links to places where I can learn about this ( I already know about Protons, Neutrons, Electrons and all the basic ones but now I want to get more in depth):

Baryons are massive particles which are made up of three quarks in the standard model. This class of particles includes the proton and neutron. Other baryons are the lambda, sigma, xi, and omega particles. Baryons are distinct from mesons in that mesons are composed of only two quarks. Baryons and mesons are included in the overall class known as hadrons, the particles which interact by the strong force. Baryons are fermions, while the mesons are bosons. Besides charge and spin (1/2 for the baryons), two other quantum numbers are assigned to these particles: baryon number (B=1) and strangeness (S), which in the chart can be seen to be equal to -1 times the number of strange quarks included.

The conservation of baryon number is an important rule for interactions and decays of baryons. No known interactions violate conservation of baryon number.

Recent experimental evidence shows the existence of five-quark combinations which are being called pentaquarks. The pentaquark would be included in the classification of baryons, albeit an "exotic" one. The pentaquark is composed of four quarks and an antiquark, like a combination of an ordinary baryon plus a meson.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you asking for here? Are you asking for sources to learn about elementary particles? Or do you want to just learn about Baryons? Or are you more interested in these "pentaquarks", which, BTW, their discovery has NOT been agreed upon yet.

If you want to learn about the basics of elementary particles, then I would suggest the http://www.particleadventure.org/" , since you didn't describe the level of sophistication that you already have.

BTW, don't make wholesale quote of webpages. Just provide a link, and quote ONLY the relevant part that you want to understand so that we are clear on what the issues are. The part you have quoted here covered the whole gamut of many things, which didn't make it clear what exactly is the topic that you wanted to understand.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it exactly that you want to learn about? Wikipedia has some good information about baryons in general, I suppose you could use that as a starting point and also have a look at the list of references at the bottom.

P.S. Pentaquarks are still considered hypothetical. A few experiments did seem to offer evidence of their existence, but it wasn't conclusive (i.e. could have been due to errors in the experimental setup or data analysis) and the results have not been replicated since.

There are 3 valence quarks in baryons. It doesn't mean there are just 3. Saying, "a proton is made up of 3 quarks" is misleading. It's composed of a whole lot of stuff.

K^2 said:
Saying, "a proton is made up of 3 quarks" is misleading. It's composed of a whole lot of stuff.

Like what? (prepares to have mind blown)

Additional quark-antiquark pairs and gluons.

http://www.particleadventure.org/eternal-questions.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are baryons and why are they important in the study of particle physics?

Baryons are subatomic particles that are made up of three quarks. They are important in the study of particle physics because they are the building blocks of matter and are crucial in understanding the structure and interactions of atoms and molecules.

2. How are baryons different from other subatomic particles?

Baryons are different from other subatomic particles in terms of their composition. They are made up of three quarks, while other particles such as mesons are made up of two quarks. Baryons also have a higher mass compared to other particles.

3. What are some examples of baryons?

Some examples of baryons include protons and neutrons, which are the most commonly known baryons. Other examples include hyperons, which are baryons that contain one or more strange quarks.

4. How are scientists able to study baryons?

Scientists are able to study baryons through experiments using particle accelerators. These machines accelerate particles to high speeds and then collide them, allowing scientists to observe the behavior and properties of baryons.

5. What is the significance of understanding baryons?

Understanding baryons is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. Baryons are also important in explaining the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.