Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

CHARGOGAGOGMANCHARGOGAGOGCHARBUNAGUNGAMOG

Any one know if this is a real word ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
    yes it is a lake in massachussetts

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Cheers, i found it amid some word oddities, i have a few more that are not in
    my dictionary. :smile:

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4
    However, in Massachusetts, there is Lake CHARGOGAGOGMANCHARGOGAGOGCHARBUNAGUNGAMOG, usually listed on maps as "Lake Webster." It supposedly means "You fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, nobody fish in the middle."

A reader of this page suggests the word is spelled CHARGOGGAGOGGMANCHAUGGAGOGGCHAUBUNAGUNGAMOGG. Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary spells the word CHARGOGGAGOGGMANCHAUGGAGOGGCHAUBUNAGUNGAMAUGG.

However, another reader of this page writes: "I live in Dudley, MA, just west of Webster, MA. and I can verify that the lake is spelled Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchabunagungamaugg by the locals. Also, it doesn't supposedly mean anything. Nobody knows what it means. the 'i fish on my side....' or 'Neutral fishing ground' are just common guesses. From what I've learned, people that have attempted translations learned that it has nothing to do with fishing at all, but the 'neutral borders' might be a closer translation, as it's at the boundary of where a few Indian tribes once lived."

from A Collection of Word Oddities and Trivia

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5
    drats beat me to it! How about your UK...
    LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Are these real words ?

PHONOCARDIOGRAPHICALLY, PRORHIPIDOGLOSSOMORPHA, SUPRADIAPHRAGMATICALLY, and MACRACANTHORHYNCHIASIS.

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i did know what it meant, some thing about a pond by a cave ?

9. Sep 23, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I think I've been there when I was young. Deffinately been in the area.

Funny place names: http://places.jump-around.com/browse/
    You can also search by postcode (UKers only.)
    I live 49 miles from Cock Heads and 20 miles from Wetwang, which is quite a nice village, despite its name.

10. Sep 23, 2005 #9
    It`s a little village in Anglsey and means ; "Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave."

11. Sep 23, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Thank heaven for post codes. :biggrin:

12. Sep 23, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Did Richard Whitely live in Wetwang ?

13. Sep 23, 2005 #12
    PHONOCARDIOGRAPHICALLY;
    An attempt at the assessment of myocardial contractility from phonocardiographically measured time components of ventricular contraction in patients with prosthetic aortic valves. Asynchronous activation as a cause of diminished velocity of contraction.

How good is Google!

14. Sep 23, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

He was made honorary mayor of Wetwang after taking the wee wee out of its name for so long (at least I think that's how it went) but I don't think he ever lived there. I hope they make a memorial statue there. Carol Vordeman can inscribe it.

15. Sep 23, 2005 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Well thats cleared that one up :confused: Measuring artificial heart beat with
    sound recording :confused:

16. Sep 23, 2005 #15
  17. Sep 23, 2005 #16

wolram

Gold Member

My mom misses count down so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?