Understanding Time: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses a video recommended by a friend that claims to explain the concept of time. However, it is deemed as unreliable by the participants due to the creator's self-proclaimed expertise and disregard for established scientific principles. The conversation serves as a reminder to be cautious of information found on the internet and to adhere to forum rules against speculation and personal theories.
GusAmancio
I came across this video on the recommendation of a friend. I don't have a complete understanding of physics, but I like to think I'm pretty smart when it comes to understanding it at a base level. Regardless, the video tries to explain what time really is, and I was wondering if anyone had a more scientific approach to understanding these claims, and whether they comport with actual science.

Thanks all!

<crackpot link deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gus, welcome to PF. I only had to watch a few seconds of the video to know that the guy is a crackpot. Anyone who begins a video with "I have my own theory of physics" and "I found something that physicists have overlooked" registers high on the Crackpot Index.

Likes wabbit
I could go on for as long as this guy went on talking about how he has fundamental flaws in his physics understanding, but that would simply be a waste of time just like watching this was. Bottom line: Do not trust everything you find on the internet.

Speculation and personal theories such as the one this person engages in are against Physics Forums rules and this thread is therefore closed.

1. What is the concept of time in science?

In science, time is considered to be a fundamental dimension that measures the duration of events and the intervals between them. It is often described as a continuous progression of moments and is measured in units such as seconds, minutes, hours, and years.

2. How is time measured in scientific experiments?

Time can be measured in various ways in scientific experiments depending on the specific research being conducted. Some common methods include using clocks or timers, measuring the rate of change of a process, or using precise instruments such as atomic clocks.

3. Can time be manipulated in science?

While time itself cannot be manipulated, scientists have discovered ways to manipulate our perception of time. For example, the theory of relativity shows that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative speeds and positions.

4. What is the role of time in the study of the universe?

Time plays a crucial role in understanding the evolution and behavior of the universe. Scientists use time to study the formation of galaxies, the movement of celestial bodies, and the origins of the universe itself. Time also helps us understand the concept of space-time, where the three dimensions of space are combined with the fourth dimension of time.

5. How do scientists explain the concept of time travel?

Currently, time travel is only possible in theory. Scientists have proposed different ideas, such as the theory of relativity and wormholes, to explain how time travel could potentially be achieved. However, further research and advancements in technology are needed to fully understand and potentially realize the concept of time travel.