What is Torque? How Is It Measured?

• Thread starter LifeIsGreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is a measure of how strongly an object rotates about a point, and is dependent on the distance between the point and the force applied, as well as the direction of the force. It is commonly used to explain concepts such as opening a door or tightening a bolt.
LifeIsGreat
Can anyone give me a 'simple' explanation of torque? And how is it measured? Or tell me best place to find this info?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{r}\times\vec{F}[/tex]

lol. Thank you arildno! :-)

Sadly that helps not one bit as I am not an engineering student, but I guess the thought was there! I am working my way through Wikipedia so sure I'll get there soon.

Okay, a bit more then:
The torque a force produces upon an object with respect to some point is directly related to how strongly the object will rotate about the point.

Thank you both. I think it's getting my head around the idea that "how strongly" the object rotates about the point is a combination of how "fast" and with how much "force". Wish I was a real scientist...

Fast? Don't you mean distance?

Actually there are lots of real-world examples you can think about to get the idea about torque. For instance, consider a door. Notice that the doorknob is always as far as possible from the hinge (which is the axis of rotation). What happens if the doorknob is very near to the hinge? Does it make it easier or more difficult to open or close the door?

Direction of the force matters too. As someone mentioned, torque is the cross product of the displacement vector and force. What if both of these vectors are parallel? Work it out, then consider this: what if you apply a force to the door towards the hinge? Does it affect the rotation?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the measure of how much a force acting on an object causes that object to rotate around an axis.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: Torque = force x distance.

3. What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are Newton meters (Nm) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the Imperial/US system.

4. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured using a torque wrench, which is a specialized tool that allows for the precise application of torque. The torque value is displayed on a scale or digital display on the wrench.

5. What are some examples of torque in everyday life?

There are many examples of torque in everyday life, such as using a wrench to tighten a bolt or opening a door by turning the doorknob. Other examples include using a can opener, turning a steering wheel, and riding a bike.