Exploring the Nature of Language & Truth

In summary, language is a powerful tool for communication, but it is not without its limitations and complexities.
Deveno
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MHB
Think a bit about this, before you answer...

Here are some of my musings on the subject:

Language, or almost any other means of communication, is a means of mapping our internal experience externally. Our internal experience (which includes, but is not limited to, our sensory data, our feelings, thoughts, our dreams and physical actions) is robust, varied and complex, and is likely impossible to fully communicate.

So, as is the case with many maps, language is not fully faithful. We include what we feel are the important features of our internal experience, and omit others. In the language of data transmission, language is simultaneously encryption AND compression.

For example, I might say: "My shirt is green" (in point of fact, I DO have a green shirt on at this moment). But what do I mean? Emerald? Kelly green? Fluorescent lime? I think we would all like to believe that since my shirt is, in fact, green, that what I am saying is an example of a true statement. Some possible ways of ascribing this value ('truth") to my statement:

Verifiablity (but this is not possible for blind people).
Falsifiability of the negation (but this is not possible for people with red-green color blindness, for example).
Consistency with repeated observation (but this seems to lead to the idea that truth doesn't exist UNTIL it is confirmed).
Logical deduction (perhaps coupled with wavelength analysis of light reflected off my shirt, and a suitable range given for "green"). This seems to rest on some "basic facts" which we can take as "axiomatically true". Which facts are these?

The more one thinks about this, the worse it gets...where can we even begin?

Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on language and communication. I find this topic to be quite intriguing and complex.

You are absolutely right that language is a means of mapping our internal experience externally. It is a tool that we use to convey our thoughts, feelings, and experiences to others. But as you pointed out, it is not a perfect tool. It is limited by our own perceptions, biases, and understanding. This can lead to misunderstandings and miscommunications.

I agree that language is both encryption and compression. We use words to encode our thoughts and experiences, but in doing so, we also compress them. This can lead to ambiguity and multiple interpretations. Your example of the color green is a great illustration of this. Even though you said your shirt is green, there are still many possible shades and variations of green that could be perceived by others.

I appreciate your exploration of different ways to ascribe truth to a statement. Verifiability, falsifiability, consistency with repeated observation, and logical deduction are all valid approaches, but they also have their limitations. As scientists, we often rely on these methods to determine the truth, but we must also acknowledge that our knowledge and understanding are constantly evolving and subject to change.

In regards to your question about which facts can be considered "axiomatically true," I believe that this is a difficult question to answer definitively. Ultimately, it depends on our individual beliefs and perspectives. However, as scientists, we strive to base our knowledge and understanding on empirical evidence and logical reasoning.

Thank you for prompting this discussion and for making us think critically about the complexities of language and truth. As scientists, it is important for us to constantly question and challenge our understanding of the world in order to continue advancing our knowledge and discoveries.

1. What is the relationship between language and truth?

The relationship between language and truth is a complex topic that has been studied by philosophers, linguists, and scientists for centuries. Some argue that language is the key to understanding truth, while others believe that language can be used to manipulate or distort truth. Ultimately, the answer likely lies somewhere in between, as language is a powerful tool that can both reveal and conceal truth depending on how it is used.

2. How does language shape our perception of reality?

Language plays a significant role in shaping our perception of reality. It allows us to label and categorize objects and concepts, which in turn can influence how we understand and interpret the world around us. Different languages also have different grammatical structures and vocabulary, which can impact how people from different cultures perceive and communicate about reality.

3. Can language be objective or is it always subjective?

This is a highly debated question in the field of linguistics. Some argue that language is inherently subjective, as it is shaped by the individual's experiences, beliefs, and cultural background. Others argue that language can be objective, as there are certain rules and structures that are shared across languages and can be used to convey objective information. Ultimately, it is likely a combination of both subjective and objective elements in language.

4. How do we know if a statement is true or false?

This question is at the heart of the study of language and truth. In general, a statement can be considered true if it accurately reflects reality, and false if it does not. However, determining the truthfulness of a statement can be a complex process, as it may depend on various factors such as context, perspective, and intention. Scientists use rigorous methods such as empirical research and logical reasoning to determine the truthfulness of statements.

5. How has technology affected language and our understanding of truth?

The rise of technology has greatly impacted language and our understanding of truth. With the advent of social media and the internet, information can spread quickly and be easily manipulated, making it challenging to discern what is true and what is not. Additionally, technology has also led to the development of new forms of communication, such as emojis and internet slang, which can change the way we use and interpret language. It is important for scientists to continue studying the effects of technology on language and truth in order to better understand and navigate this ever-evolving landscape.