What's the Significance of the Virgin Mary Appearing in Cigarette Smoke?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: I left out for them. :biggrin:In summary, Tsu is not currently posting, seems that she has deserted the Physics forums. What do you suppose she is doing instead? She's definitely enjoying those apple martinis and has forgotten all about us! :cry:I haven't seen Ivan online either. Is he sitting around moping because he misses Tsu?I voted lounging under a palm tree with an apple martini. Or surfing with an apple martini, or parasailing with an apple martini... :biggrin: Whatever she's doing I'm sure it's a heck of a lot

What is Tsu doing instead of posting here?

• Seeking a nunnery to renew her vows?

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Seeking a nunnery to experience sin?

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Lounging, carefree under a palm tree, Apple Martini at hand?

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Woefully sitting in a lonesome hotel room desperately Seeking Ivan?

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Math Is Hard said:
TSU! You're back! Gosh I missed you so much!
Those photographs make me miss Hawaii so-o-o bad!
Did you do any touristy things like go to a luau or take hula lessons?
Hell, no. We just pretty much parked it on a beach and that's where we stayed. We did some snorkeling, boogie boarding... and we partied it up a couple of nights down on Waikiki Beach with some hunky Peruvian sailors. Nice young men, they were... :wink: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, Tsu. guess what I'm pleasuring myself to tonight?

:eek: :eek:

Kerrie said:
wait...is Ivan not with Tsu in Hawaii?

Yes, it sucks but we can't both be gone right now due to animal concerns. Also, after logging about 200,000 air-miles in a little over two years, about the last thing that I want to do is to get on a plane. It looked like Tsu's sister was going to cancel for a time but everything worked out great. She brought me back lots of Kona coffee and she had a fantastic time. I spoil her rotten. :biggrin:

I'm so glad Ivan doesn't have time to read all the posts and usually skips over the ones I write.

Just for the general information Ivan grills about the best steak I have ever eaten. At least I think it was... humm maybe I need another just to be sure :biggrin:

thanks Integral. We really enjoyed having you and your wonderful wife Derivative over. It should also be noted that Derivative makes absolutely killer pies! Mmmmmm. In fact...I do believe that we still have half a pie up there... so much for dinner! :tongue2:

Unfortunately, as you might have noticed I did rush the fire a bit. Due to the damp charcoal and low ambient temp I feared running low on fire and should have waited for the roaring flames before throwing on the steaks. As it turned out we had plenty of fuel. I also need a better new tree to pick from. In fact, the more I think about it...there is no doubt about it. The results were unacceptable and we have to try that again soon. :biggrin:

Maybe we can get Janus and Kerrie down here one of these days this spring.

Oh, yeah, Ivan, Tsu... We have a box of Samoas here with your name on it. How do we do the exchange?

Weird. I was just thinking about that on my way home from work tonight. I was going to call Derivitave in the morning. :biggrin: I can stop by on my way to work tomorrow (or Wednesday if that would work better for her) - around 2:30 or 3:00? Ivan wants to know - Can we make that FOUR boxes? That way I get to have a cookie, too. :biggrin: (He LOVES Samoas!)

2:30-3:00 should be fine. I'll be up and around for sure. I hope we have 4 Boxes of Smoas, they are in pretty high demand!

It's lunchtime and you've got my mouth watering for grilled steak!

Integral - I'll take all you've got. :biggrin:

I notice you never invite me over for steak.

Tsu,
Are you going to post the virgin Mary pic you took?

Wow, what is that? It does look like the Virgin Mary. :bugeye:

We're not sure. It looks like smoke - but as far as I remember, I'm quite sure no one was smoking around me when I took that picture. It really probably is just smoke from a cigarette or something, but there are a couple of areas of the 'smoke' that just don't look quite like what smoke does when it wafts about... Odd, isn't it?

Wow! Tsu is going to make a FORTUNE on ebay with that photo! Or better, enlarge it, frame it, stick it up on your front lawn, and charge admission to see it! You'll be able to retire very comfortably. :biggrin:

pilgramage to Tsu's

Only if she promises Ivan will have the grill fired up when we get there!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but clearly this apparition was in front of a large Banyan tree in Hawaii, shouldn't that be the destination of the pilgrimage? So you all will just have to forgo that steak, unless Ivan sets up his grill in front of Banyan tree. :approve:

Ivan,
Where do you suppose we could find a Oak tree in Hawaii?

PF Pilgrimage to Hawaii...that's even better! :biggrin: I'm sitting here freezing, and OR isn't going to be any warmer this time of year. I think we need to find that tree! Well, all in the name of debunking, of course (that means we can take Ivan too this time). :approve:

I know exactly where it is. We could just camp out there for a few nights and see if we can get more pictures like it. Hop on board the bus, folks. We're headin' for Honolulu. :biggrin: We won't skip the grilled steaks, but I'd rather have Nui nachos and a REAL spicy Bloody Mary. Maybe some Arturo's Very Very Hot Salsa, too... :biggrin:

Well, we definitely need to get a grill fired up to test different smoke patterns to see if we can re-create the effect.

*hops on board the PF tour bus*

Just remember, if you can't find me when we get there, you better start beach-hoppin' because that's where I'M heading! :biggrin:

For curiosity's sake we're going to try to duplicate the photo by using smoke.

Absolutely. We should try a variety of types of smoke. Different types of charcoal and wood, perhaps some of the guys will want to puff some cigars (I'll head to the beach while you're doing that though), I'm sure we can find someone with a birthday and blow out birthday candles, perhaps bring out a sizzling platter of fajitas or cherries flambe, gather up the tiki torches, etc. I'm sure we can figure it out. But we don't want to be hasty and give up too quickly. It could take a while, so we better plan on staying in Hawaii a while. :biggrin:

Should this be in the debunking forum?

Integral said:
Should this be in the debunking forum?
Nah, I'm convinced.

Honestly, I'm trying to see where air movement and smoke make sense here. Perhaps it's not smoke, it would be interesting to know what it is.

This was a digital camera?

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes it is a digital camera - a JVC I think. My take is that it looks like smoke but we also have one significant hitch: There is almost always a constant breeze when the trade winds are blowing. It is not likely that smoke would linger. Of course it may have been a calm moment or they may have been sheltered. In either case I thought it would be interesting to see how closely we could duplicate the effect.

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/1897/dsc001933cc.th.jpg

I will post a pic later but there is no doubt about it. Cigarette smoke and a camera flash produce exactly the same effect. Someone was probably smoking nearby and the smoke drifted in front of the camera.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/1897/dsc001933cc.th.jpg

I will post a pic later but there is no doubt about it. Cigarette smoke and a camera flash produce exactly the same effect. Someone was probably smoking nearby and the smoke drifted in front of the camera.
Well rats, I guess this means the pilgramage to Hawaii is off? Can we still go to your place for steaks? :tongue2:

Evo said:
Well rats, I guess this means the pilgramage to Hawaii is off? Can we still go to your place for steaks? :tongue2:
The fact that it is smoke is irrelevant! Obviously the Virgin Mary chose to appear in a puff of cigarette smoke. There must be some significance in that.

Now the question is, is the fact that the smoke was in Hawaii significant, or to we need only to pilgrimage to the nearest smoke filled bar?

I like the idea of a pilgrimage to Ivan's steak grill a lot. Perhaps she will make her next apparition in the smoke of Ivan's grill...Take my word for it there is plenty of smoke.. Mama Cass Eliot could aperate into that smoke cloud!

Evo... My spell checker spelled pilgrimage different from yours? o:)

Last edited:
Integral said:
The fact that it is smoke is irrelevant! Obviously the Virgin Mary chose to appear in a puff of cigarette smoke. There must be some significance in that.

Now the question is, is the fact that the smoke was in Hawaii significant, or to we need only to pilgrimage to the nearest smoke filled bar?

I like the idea of a pilgrimage to Ivan's steak grill a lot. Perhaps she will make her next apparition in the smoke of Ivan's grill...Take my work for it there is plenty of smoke.. Mama Cass Eliot could aperate into that smoke cloud!

Evo... My spell checker spelled pilgrimage different from yours? o:)
That's because I didn't use spell check and I misspelled it. :redface: