Solving ∫(x^7/(1+x^16)dx: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date
In summary, solving the integral of x^7/(1+x^16)dx allows us to find the area under the curve of the function, which is a fundamental concept in calculus with various real-world applications. Some tips for solving this integral include using substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting the constant of integration and making errors in algebraic manipulation. This integral can be solved using basic calculus techniques. Its real-world applications include fields like physics, engineering, and economics, where it can be used to calculate work, population change, and present value.
kevinnn

Homework Statement

∫(x^7/(1+x^16)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like it's so simple. I have tried making u equal to 1+x^16 and then trying to find some sort of chain I can use to make the equation work but no luck. When i saw that arctan was in the correct answer I was lost. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I just had to look at it for a second more.

And you let [itex]u= x^8[/itex]?

Yes.

What is the purpose of solving ∫(x^7/(1+x^16)dx?

The purpose of solving this integral is to find the area under the curve of the function x^7/(1+x^16)dx. This is a fundamental concept in calculus and can be used to solve various real-world problems.

What are some tips for solving this integral?

Some tips for solving this integral include using substitution to simplify the integrand, splitting the fraction into partial fractions, and using trigonometric identities.

What are some common mistakes to avoid while solving this integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid while solving this integral include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and not checking the solution for accuracy.

Can this integral be solved using only basic calculus techniques?

Yes, this integral can be solved using basic calculus techniques such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

What are some real-world applications of solving this integral?

Solving this integral can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the rate of change of a population, or the present value of a continuous income stream.