What is virtual object?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In the following figure AB which is behind the mirror is virtual image of object AB placed at some point between the pole and focus.
object-between-pole-focus.gif

So,is virtual object something we will get if we treat this virtual image as object i.e when we place a mirror in right side of this virtual image AB ,then the incident ray will come from AB and it's image will be formed at this second mirror.Let's name it A"B" So,the virtual image of first mirror i.e AB is virtual object for the second mirror.That's what we mean by "virtual object"right?

Answers and Replies

But I think there is something wrong in
then the incident ray will come from AB
Because AB is virtual image of first mirror and rays cannot diverge from or converge at virtual image.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So,is virtual object something we will get if we treat this virtual image as object i.e when we place a mirror in right side of this virtual image AB ,then the incident ray will come from AB and it's image will be formed at this second mirror.Let's name it A"B" So,the virtual image of first mirror i.e AB is virtual object for the second mirror.That's what we mean by "virtual object"right?

I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to explain here. Why are you even introducing a 2nd mirror?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Riddle me this. How is the ray going to get to the second mirror if it's behind the first one?

Likes Delta2
How is the ray going to get to the second mirror if it's behind the first one?
I don't know.I don't have any idea .please guide me.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't know.I don't have any idea .please guide me.

My point is that it's important to understand the setup and how it works before you change it.

Anyways, I found this video which I think will explain what a virtual image object is very well:

For mirrors, you would obviously have to place the 2nd mirror in the path of the light after it bounces off of the 1st mirror, which means it must be on the left side of the diagram, not the right. Otherwise, you treat it just like you do a lens.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
, I found this video which I think will explain what a virtual image
But I want to understand virtual object.Let me watch the video and then I will inform I understood or not.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
But I want to understand virtual object.Let me watch the video and then I will inform I understood or not.

I'm sorry, I meant virtual object, not image.