Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is volt?

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    I am a high-school student. My Physics's teacher is not good,so I am here.
    Please anyone explain me "What is volt", so that I will have no confusion with Volt.
    I will be thankful to you if you clear my confusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

volt1
    vōlt/
    noun
    noun: volt; plural noun: volts; symbol: V

the SI unit of electromotive force, the difference of potential that would drive one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.

You should learn to use Google. It will answer many such questions for you. If you google something and it still doesn't make sense, then you can ask a more focused question here.

4. Jun 3, 2014 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The volt is a unit of measurement measuring the electric potential difference across any circuit element, or more generally between any two points in space.

5. Jun 3, 2014 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To be able to help you, you need to clearly explain what it is exactly that you are confused with. Just asking such a question and telling us that you have a confusion about it is like telling a doctor that you don't feel well and hoping the doctor gives you an accurate diagnosis.

Have you tried to understand it? What did you read? And what exactly did you not understand that you have read? Did you try googling? Did you go to the Hyperphysics website, for example, to see if they have anything on this?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elevol.html

Zz.

6. Jun 3, 2014 #5
    Matterwave is correct. However, I would also like to add that Volts are equivalent to Joules (J) per Coulomb (C). Joules are a unit used to measure energy, and Coulombs are a unit to measure electric charge. And by the way, there are 6.24x1018 protons/electrons per Coulomb.

7. Jun 4, 2014 #6
    I am thankful to all of you for helping me. I have one more question.
    What is the relation between Voltage and electric current ?

8. Jun 4, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

volt1
    vōlt/
    noun
    noun: volt; plural noun: volts; symbol: V

the SI unit of electromotive force, the difference of potential that would drive one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.

9. Jun 4, 2014 #8
    Thanks phinds:smile:. I will read all the posts carefully in future. o:)
    HyperPhysics is good.Thanks ZapperZ

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook