What is warm hole?

• Thread starter sarah03
  • Start date
what is warm hole???

i read lots on warm hole but i am not getting anything about it...so please kindly explain me in very simple language....

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Do you mean "Worm Hole"?
I've never heard of a "Warm Hole"
I'll refrain from posting any "Your Mom" jokes about that...:rofl:

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

i read lots on warm hole but i am not getting anything about it...so please kindly explain me in very simple language....
I think you mean wormhole, as in a hypothetical region of space that connects two distant places.

Well, I'll be quietly shot in my sleep by hardcore physicists for this (of which I am one) but imagine a flat piece of paper. Imagine now on it two points A and B, which are at some distance from each other. Normally to travel from A to B, you'd walk from A to B on the paper.

Now imagine folding the piece of paper so that the points A and B overlap. Now we can go from A to B not along the paper but by 'jumping out of the paper and into it again'. Of course this way of travel is much quicker (though way messier because you'll be travelling out of the space you live in, which is the flat paper).

Such is the nature of a worm hole. A hypothetical 'hole' that connects two distant regions of space.

And time too.

Feeling the urge to post a few dirty jokes when I saw the title :P

sorry by mistake i wrote "warm" instead of "worm hole"...but still i am not getting it very clearly..please someone help in solving my this doubt...

Well, I'll be quietly shot in my sleep by hardcore physicists for this (of which I am one) but imagine a flat piece of paper. Imagine now on it two points A and B, which are at some distance from each other. Normally to travel from A to B, you'd walk from A to B on the paper.

Now imagine folding the piece of paper so that the points A and B overlap. Now we can go from A to B not along the paper but by 'jumping out of the paper and into it again'. Of course this way of travel is much quicker (though way messier because you'll be travelling out of the space you live in, which is the flat paper).

Such is the nature of a worm hole. A hypothetical 'hole' that connects two distant regions of space.
Prhamitra, I am really considering your response to "What is warm hole?". Would you please give references in support of your viewpoint.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award

And time too.

Feeling the urge to post a few dirty jokes when I saw the title :P
Me too. Tut Tut!

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I think you mean wormhole, as in a hypothetical region of space that connects two distant places.
sorry by mistake i wrote "warm" instead of "worm hole"...but still i am not getting it very clearly..please someone help in solving my this doubt...
Basically if you could make a pair of wormholes you could walk into one and come out of the other. My post at #3 had a clickable link to a page that could help you (just click on the word wormhole).

A more thorough answer involves point out that wormholes require "exotic matter" to be built and maintained which we have no idea how to do (or even if it is possible). Then you run into the interesting stuff about wormholes collapsing if you try to use them to send messages back into their past light cone or perhaps not and allowing you to make a time machine.

Prhamitra, I am really considering your response to "What is warm hole?". Would you please give references in support of your viewpoint.
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/wormhole.html

and the first few lines of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

But do know that this is only an analogy meant for non-physicists and laymen. Actual understanding of these objects require knowledge of Relativity, Reimann geometry and singularities. Without going into any details what I said is more or less correct.

Also remember worm holes are still hypothetical in that they are consistent with existing theory, but is still to be found existing in nature.

A wormhole is like a tunnel that connects two points in spacetime. If the wormhole is "traversable" it acts as a shortcut through spacetime.