What is wrong with my derivation of max speed on inclined curves?

In summary, the maximum speed for a flat road turning is found by setting the centripetal force equal to the friction force, and for a banked road with angle T, the maximum speed is found by setting the centripetal force equal to the sum of the normal force times sin(T) and the friction force times cos(T). However, the normal force is not equal to the weight of the object, but is instead equal to the weight divided by the cosine of the angle minus the coefficient of friction times the sine of the angle. As the bank angle increases, the normal force also increases, but reaches a maximum before the denominator becomes negative. In the case of a vertical bank, the normal force is entirely
michaelw
For a flat road, where a car is turning, the max speed can by found by:
Fc = Ff
mv^2/r = uFg = umg
v = sqrt(rug)

For a banked road with angle T, the max speed (i think i did this wrong)
mv^2/r = Fnsin(T) + Ffcos(T)
mv^2/r = mg*sin(T) + umg*cos(T)
v = sqrt(rg(sin(T) + ucos(T))

but sin(T) + ucos(T) can be < 1 for low u's! this doesn't make sense.. in other words its saying that in some cases, driving on a bank results in a lower max v than driving on a flat road..

what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is in assuming that the normal force equals mg. This is incorrect for a banked road. You'll need a second equation (for the vertical forces) to solve for the normal force and thus the max speed.

michaelw said:
For a flat road, where a car is turning, the max speed can by found by:
Fc = Ff
mv^2/r = uFg = umg
v = sqrt(rug)

For a banked road with angle T, the max speed (i think i did this wrong)
mv^2/r = Fnsin(T) + Ffcos(T)
mv^2/r = mg*sin(T) + umg*cos(T)
v = sqrt(rg(sin(T) + ucos(T))

but sin(T) + ucos(T) can be < 1 for low u's! this doesn't make sense.. in other words its saying that in some cases, driving on a bank results in a lower max v than driving on a flat road..

what did i do wrong?
As Doc Al has pointed out, the normal force is not mg. It is the component of mg that is perpendicular to the surface + a component a centripetal force. Your first statement of the centripetal force is correct (where Ff = uFn). The trick is to find Fn.

In order to determine the normal force, you have to look at the vertical components of the forces (which sum to ___?). So there is an additional equation that you need in order to work out the normal force.

AM

thanks
can you please help me figure out how to find the normal force?
the vertical components should add to 0 :)

michaelw said:
thanks
can you please help me figure out how to find the normal force?
the vertical components should add to 0 :)
The friction force has a downward vertical component and this, together with gravity, equals the upward vertical component of the normal force:

[tex]F_{gy} + F_{fy} = F_{Ny}[/tex]

What is the vertical component of the gravitational force (easy)?

What is the downward vertical component of the friction force? (The friction force is parallel to the surface so it has a horizontal and downward component. The friction force along the surface is [itex]\mu_sF_n[/itex])

What is the upward vertical component of the normal force?

AM

The vertical component equation is
Fy = Fn*cos(T) - Fg - Ff*sin(T) = 0

The horizontal component is
Fx = Fc = Fn*sin(T) + Ff*cos(T) = mv^2/R

but how can i solve these to find an equation for velocity?

michaelw said:

but how can i solve these to find an equation for velocity?

If you are still looking for maximum speed under these conditions (banked curve) the frictional force and the normal force are stll related by the coefficient of friction. You had the wrong normal force in your first post. Now that you have that corrected, you can use the friction equation.

how can i find what Fn is though from my equations ? Do i need to know trig rules?

You find the normal force by solving your first equation using the fact that Ff is proportional to Fn. How are they related?

I am assuming the bank angle and the coefficient of friction are given.

Fn(cos(T) - u*sin(T) = Fg
Fn = Fg/(cos(T) - u*sin(T))

Is that correct? It seems weird because Fn would be negative for a high theta..

michaelw said:
Fn(cos(T) - u*sin(T)) = Fg <-- I added a parenthesis, OlderDan
Fn = Fg/(cos(T) - u*sin(T))

Is that correct? It seems weird because Fn would be negative for a high theta..

That is a good observation. Suppose you start with a flat track. Then Fn would have to be Fg, and your answer reduces to that result. As you increase the bank angle, your result says the normal force will increase. That is because your equations assume that as you increase the bank, you are going to go faster and maintain the maximum possible speed. What is going to happen to the normal force before that denominator goes negative? Suppose you made the bank vertical. Have you ever seen those guys on motorcycles riding inside a cylinder? Which direction do you think friction is acting in that case?

ahhhhhh
that makes sense now :)
so just to be sure, in that case, Fn would be entirely the centripetal force, with no component opposing gravity (ie 90 degrees), and Ff would now oppose gravity, with the force directed up

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum speed on inclined curves?

The formula for calculating maximum speed on inclined curves is v = √(μrgtanθ), where v is the maximum speed, μ is the coefficient of friction, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

2. Why is the coefficient of friction included in the formula for maximum speed on inclined curves?

The coefficient of friction is included in the formula because it determines the amount of resistance between the tires and the surface of the curve. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more grip the tires have on the surface, allowing for a higher maximum speed.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating maximum speed on both banked and unbanked curves?

No, the formula for calculating maximum speed on inclined curves only applies to banked curves. Unbanked curves require a different formula, which takes into account the lateral acceleration of the vehicle.

4. What are some common mistakes made when deriving the formula for maximum speed on inclined curves?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include the coefficient of friction, using the wrong formula for unbanked curves, and not accounting for the angle of inclination. It is also important to make sure all units are consistent when plugging values into the formula.

5. How accurate is the formula for calculating maximum speed on inclined curves?

The formula is only an approximation and does not take into account other factors such as the shape of the curve, the weight of the vehicle, and the condition of the tires. It is important to use caution and adjust the speed based on these factors to ensure safe driving on inclined curves.