What is wrong with my electricity?

• Thread starter CrystalStudios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the individual is experiencing buzzing issues with their guitar amp when using it with their computer. After investigating, they have found that unplugged objects and other appliances plugged into the same power system can cause buzzing. They are seeking confirmation that this is an internal power problem and potential solutions. Suggestions have been made to unplug all appliances and check for malfunctioning ones, and to check for proper grounding. The individual is also advised to have their wiring checked for safety.
CrystalStudios
Ok - So I had some issues with using my guitar amp on the line in of my computer... I had some buzzing issues.

In my full on investigation I have discovered some distrubing things.

Let me describe to you this, and please help me out and tell me this could only be a problem with the electrical system within the walls.

I have my computer running - of course plugged into the power outlet of the wall.

I have my headphones plugged into my computer so I can hear.

1. When I pull the power cords out and in on RANDOM things around the house that are in no way attached to the computer in any way whatosever - I get a buzzing when they're in, and less buzzing when they're out. Again these objects are in no way connecting to my computer, except they are running through the same power system (but not the same outlet)

2. Ok - with the same setup, I have a cord plugged into the LINE IN on my computer. WHenever I touch this cord to random cords lying on the ground that are IN NO WAY PLUGGED INTO ANYTHING - THEY ARE JUST LYING WITH BOTH ENDS ON THE GROUND - it causes a lot of buzzing in my headphones

So in both cases completely unplugged random cords are causing buzzes in my computer headphones - and unplugging objects in the walls which are NOT connected to my computer cause buzzing through my computer

DOes this provide evidence to the claim:

CLAIM: The buzzes of the plugged in objects are causing power changes which are coming through the power plug of my computer and into the headphones?

QUESTION: Why would touching the line in cord to unplugged cords lying on the ground cause anything to happen? There should be nothing going on in the cords should there??

Anyone who can help me out here thanks

Really I just want to know:

1. that this is a problem inside the wall power system
2. POssibly the origin of the problem so I can sound knowledgeable when I talk to the front desk people

THANKS!

Oh and also, for those who missed my earlier post. The reason this started is because whenever my guitar amp is on and plugged in I get a local radio station coming through the amp speakers.

thanks again!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have furthermore discovered that having other objects plugged into the wall outlets - weather they are at all plugged into the computer - cause a buzzing.

However, since my amp is by far the most powerful item in the house - it causes the most buzzing.

Keep in mind that the items are in no way plugged into my computer. The only comment connection is that they are always both plugged into the wall outlets and thus my power system.

I am dying to get this fix.

Entropy please tell me this seems like an internal power problem because I can have the apt people look at it then!

Or if you know of any plug I can put onto my computer and music equipment to stop this problem from coming out of the wall system and into my PC and amp etc...

thanks!

Ok!
I want you to unplug all appliances and check to see. Plug them in one by one until you hear the buzzing noise. It could be an appliance you have malfunctioning. The reason your buzzing gets louder while the headphones are plugged in is because the headphones are not well insulated and remember everything with current creates a magnetic field with differ frequencies. Now your body can act as an antenna to pick up stray frequencies. if I were you i would have your outlets checked anyway if it doesn't cost you anything or use a multimeter to see if you pick up drastic voltage fluctuations (a O-scope is best but expensive test equipment).

thats what I would do because it does sound like your wiring is screwed.
dx

Last edited by a moderator:
it could just be bad sheilding in the wires that are beign disrubted by the other electrical currants

^^ Would be my vote ^^

Using lighter sheilded wires is cost effective, and saves ppl money. Its also more prone to interference, which is what you seem to be suffering from.

All electrical devices operate at a certain frequency. Frequencys are radio waves, and do not neccesarily have to travel through wires. Hence your picking up the radio station through your amp (do you live near a broadcast station by chance?).

If I follow you, say your PC is in the bedroom, and you plug a toaster into an outlet in the kitchen. Does it start making the noise immediatly, or do you have to operate the toaster? Chances are, you've got a funny appliance somewhere that is putting some weird feedback into your wiring.

As far as the objects not plugged in, what kind of objects. Things such as box fans, e-pencil sharpeners have large magnets, transformers and capacitors which could possibly store enough juice to produce some weird noise.

As I'm sure you know, you can also touch the line in of your amp to your finger or tounge and get some noise.

I'd definately get your wiring checked, if nothing else to make sure there are no fire hazards.

Also, perhaps a good surge protector would assist in some way.

you don't have a ground, or a bad ground. Get a ground and be happy don't worry.

1. What causes power outages?

Power outages can be caused by a variety of factors, including severe weather conditions, equipment failure, human error, or even animal interference. In some cases, power companies may also intentionally shut off power for safety reasons or to perform maintenance on the electrical grid.

2. Why do my lights flicker?

Flickering lights can be a sign of an overloaded circuit, a loose connection, or a problem with the wiring in your home. It's important to have a licensed electrician inspect and fix any potential issues to avoid potential safety hazards.

3. Why is my electricity bill so high?

There are a few possible reasons for a high electricity bill, including using more electricity than usual, outdated appliances that are not energy-efficient, or faulty wiring that is causing a constant flow of electricity. It's best to consult with an electrician to determine the cause and find ways to reduce your energy consumption.

4. What should I do if I'm experiencing an electrical shock?

If you are experiencing an electrical shock, it's important to first turn off the power source before touching the person or object that is causing the shock. Call for medical assistance if necessary. To prevent future shocks, have an electrician inspect your wiring and make any necessary repairs.

5. How can I protect my electronics from power surges?

Power surges can damage or destroy electronic devices, so it's important to protect them with surge protectors or whole-house surge protection systems. These devices work by diverting excess voltage away from your electronics and into the ground, preventing damage to your devices.