What is wrong with my logic?

• Thread starter jason17349
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
Therefore, e^{\pi i} could be 0 or it could be anything else that multiplied by (e^{\pi i}+1) equals 0. This is not a contradiction, but rather a lack of information.In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^{\pi\imath}+1=0 and the potential solutions for e^{\pi\imath}. It is pointed out that simply multiplying both sides by e^{\pi\imath} does not provide any additional information or solutions, but rather just confirms that e^{\pi\imath} could equal 0 or any other value that satisfies the original equation.
jason17349
if [tex]e^{\pi\imath}=-1[/tex] then:

[tex]-e^{\pi\imath}=1[/tex] and,

[tex]e^{2\pi\imath}=1[/tex]

then:

[tex]-e^{\pi\imath}=e^{2\pi\imath}[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow e^{2\pi\imath}+e^{\pi\imath}=0[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow (e^{\pi\imath})^2+e^{\pi\imath}=0[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow (e^{\pi\imath}+1)e^{\pi\imath}=0[/tex]

then:

[tex]e^{\pi\imath}=0[/tex]

and

[tex]e^{\pi\imath}+1=0[/tex]

Can somebody explain this contradiction to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the very first line you wrote:
[tex]e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0[/tex]
You divided by zero when you went from
[tex](e^{\pi i} + 1)e^{\pi i} = 0[/tex]
to
[tex]e^{\pi i} = 0[/tex]

I thought if [tex]ab=0[/tex] then you could have two solutions a = 0 and b = 0?

jason17349 said:

Think again. For what values of [itex]x[/itex] is [itex]0\cdot x = 0[/itex] true?

Whoops, sorry :blushing:

jason17349 said:

You're thinking of something like if ab=0, then either a=0 or b=0. However, in this case, you know that [itex]e^{\pi\imath}+1=0[/itex], and so [itex] (e^{\pi\imath}+1)e^{\pi\imath}=0[/itex] tells us nothing about [itex]e^{\pi i}[/itex]

What is wrong with my logic?

The most common question asked by individuals who are unsure about the accuracy of their reasoning is "What is wrong with my logic?" This question can arise in a variety of contexts, from scientific research to everyday decision-making. Here are five of the most frequently asked questions about logic and their answers.

1. How can I tell if my logic is flawed?

The first step in identifying flaws in logic is to understand the basic rules of deductive and inductive reasoning. Deductive reasoning involves drawing conclusions from specific premises, while inductive reasoning involves generalizing from specific observations. If you find that your conclusions do not logically follow from your premises, or if you have not considered all possible evidence, your logic may be flawed.

2. What are some common logical fallacies to avoid?

Logical fallacies are errors in reasoning that can lead to flawed conclusions. Some common fallacies to be aware of include circular reasoning, false cause and effect, and ad hominem attacks. Familiarizing yourself with these fallacies can help you identify and avoid them in your own logic.

3. How can I improve my logical thinking skills?

Logical thinking is a skill that can be cultivated through practice and critical thinking. One way to improve your logical thinking skills is to carefully evaluate and analyze your own arguments and those of others. Additionally, engaging in activities that require problem-solving and decision-making can also help sharpen your logical thinking abilities.

4. Can emotions affect my logical reasoning?

While emotions can play a role in decision-making, they should not be the sole basis for logical reasoning. Emotions can cloud our judgment and lead to biased thinking. It is important to consider emotions but also to rely on evidence and sound reasoning when making logical arguments.

5. How important is logic in the scientific process?

Logic is essential in the scientific process as it helps to ensure that conclusions are based on sound reasoning and evidence. Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, and conducting experiments to test those hypotheses. Logical reasoning is used throughout this process to draw valid conclusions and make new discoveries.