What is wrong with these people?

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: That's the only era they get to rule things.The British Royal family has devolved into little more than a tourist attraction. Even so, in my opinion it is a dangerous one. After all, disdain for kings and aristocracy is not surprising in an American.
Proton Soup said:
if it were confined to one channel, i would have no quarrel.

Oh no, it's everywhere. It's just one channel have decided to really go for it.

I notice it's even live on YouTube.

Physics news on Phys.org
Proton Soup said:
i don't so much have anything against the brits and their royal adoration, i just don't want my television flooded with that mess here in the US.

Well, sorry, but your major networks bought the rights for a reason. Presumably lots of Americans and people around the world love the ceremony of the occasion, maybe because it's steeped in history that a lot of countries don't have (e.g. Westminster Abbey, which has been hosting royal weddings for a thousand years).

For the Brits themselves, it's an excuse to celebrate being British. We don't have a July 4th, or an independence day (for obvious reasons), so waving a union flag is something that is rarely done.

Last edited:
cristo said:
Well, sorry, but your major networks bought the rights for a reason. Presumably lots of Americans and people around the world love the ceremony of the occasion, maybe because it's steeped in history that a lot of countries don't have (e.g. Westminster Abbey, which has been hosting royal weddings for a thousand years).

For the Brits themselves, it's an excuse to celebrate being British. We don't have a July 4th, or an independence day (for obvious reasons), so waving a union flag is something that is rarely done.

don't you celebrate the magna carta or something?

Proton Soup said:
don't you celebrate the magna carta or something?

Do we? Can't say I've ever heard of that one.

Apparently, they've considered it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5028496.stm

Never went much further though.

Sure glad none of the OP threats of doom and gloom came to pass for the bride and groom. No one should have to be worried about riding in an open carriage.

JaredJames said:
Do we? Can't say I've ever heard of that one.

Apparently, they've considered it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5028496.stm

Never went much further though.

Wow, I'm surprised - you really should celebrate it! I mean, it's kind of a big deal!

lisab said:
Wow, I'm surprised - you really should celebrate it! I mean, it's kind of a big deal!

Nah, just part of the daily routine for us Brits!

Wouldn't want to let something as benign as gaining some rights get in the way of things.

We have enough bank holidays as it is.

lisab said:

I think the UK has a different sense of "history" from the US - probably because we have a lot more of it.

We tend to celebrate things like Magna Carta on a fairly big scale when their 100 year anniversaries comes around (so watch out for 2015). If we had annual "days" for everything significant that has happened since 1066, we would never get any work done.

For example there was quite a big celebration of the defeat of the Spanish Armada (1588) in 1988 - re-enacting the chains of signal bonfires that carried the news across the country, etc.

Even what happened between 55BC and 1066 has still left quite a lot of marks on the landscape - for example a lot of the main roads in the UK still follow the routes where the Romans first built them, and many of the little clumps of trees that the Romans planted next to the road at the top of hiills, so they could climb them and use them for look-out posts, are still there 2000 years on...

Proton Soup said:
i'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with all these nuts going gaga over the royals and their weddings.

I liked the hat parade, especially this one:

wedding_hats_01.jpg

Math Is Hard said:

wedding_hats_01.jpg

looks like something out of japanese animation.

Math Is Hard said:

wedding_hats_01.jpg

It appears http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squidward_Tentacles" is no longer working on the set of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Interestingly, I read that in less than 24 hours, this design alone went viral, in a very negative way, on some Facebook site. That fact was reported on http://royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/beatrice-and-eugenie-arrive-at-royal-wedding-7858" and many other sites.

Were there no quality control commission in place for the principle guests? I'll bet there will be the next time a British royal marries!

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the wedding itself, I watched a one-hour special last night which covered the highlights, and found it quite wonderful! It's nice to see the British Royal Family in a wedding where the Bride and Groom really love one another. I thought the Aston Martin departure from the Palace was a nice touch. :)

Last edited:
Back