What is <x_1-x_2> for two particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator

In summary, Mniazi explains that the hermitian polynomials, H(y), are functions of y which are evaluated as part of the integral. They are appearing in the expectation value of a function of x because x is a free variable. My professor says that the document is incomplete because I still have to evaluate <x^2> using the virial theorem.
Mniazi
if we have two non-interacting particles of mass M in a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential of frequency ω, with the wavefunction defined as:

$$\Psi\left(x_1,x_2\right) = \psi_n\left(x_1\right) \psi_m\left(x_2\right)$$

where x_1 and x_2 are two particle co-ordinates. and ψ_n is the nth harmonic oscillator eigenfunction.

then:
a) will:
$$\psi_n(x_1)= (\frac{\frac{M*\omega}{\hbar}}{\pi})^{1/4}*H_n(x_1)*e^{-\frac{M*x_1^2*\omega}{2*h}}$$

or will it be in this format:

$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n*n!}}*(\frac{m*\omega}{\pi*\hbar})^{1/4}*e^{-\frac{M*x_1^2*\omega}{2*\hbar}}*H_n(\sqrt{\frac{m*\omega}{\hbar}}*x)$$

b) What is <x_1-x_2>??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B) Would it be the same as <x_1> - <x_2> as they are non-interacting?

A) what is x?

Since I am new to quantum physics I want to even know what <x_1> represents. sorry that had to be x_1 or x_2 in the second formulas, these are the positions of the two particles.

I think you need to think harder about what it is you are trying to calculate. <x1 - x2> should be zero. <|x1 - x2|> won't be zero, nor will sqrt(<(x1-x2)^2>.

Likes 1 person
Can you please tell me what something inside < > represents? Like the thing I am trying to solve needs me to calculate <(x_1-x_2)^2> ?

It means the expectation value. (What it might be found to be on average.) So <x1-x2> is the expectation value of the vector distance between the two particles and <(x1-x2)^2> is the expectation value of the square of the distance between the two particles. The first one will be zero as the first particle will expected to be the left of the second particle as often as it is the right of it etc.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, So incase I wanted to make sure that <x_1-x_2> is zero then will I have to do this integral? :

$$<(x_1-x_2)> = \int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{(\psi_n^{*}(x_1)*x_1*\psi_n(x_1))dx_1} - \int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{(\psi_m^{*}(x_2)*x_2*\psi(x_2))dx_2}$$

And If I want to calculate $$<(x_1-x_2)^2>$$ then can i write it as $$<x_1^2>-<2*x_1><x_2>+<x_2^2>$$ ?

Well they are non-interacting particles, and when I solve these I do get 0.

Mniazi said:
Thanks, So incase I wanted to make sure that <x_1-x_2> is zero then will I have to do this integral? :

$$<(x_1-x_2)> = \int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{(\psi_n^{*}(x_1)*x_1*\psi_n(x_1))dx_1} - \int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{(\psi_m^{*}(x_2)*x_2*\psi(x_2))dx_2}$$

Yes, I'm pretty sure it will work that way if x1 and x2 are independent. I haven't studied this though, so I am surmising...

Here is the work I did, two pages full of calculations, am I correct?

Attachments

• Quantum Paper.docx
    18.5 KB · Views: 174
Mniazi, can you send PDF, I'm on an iPad here?

sure, here you go, :)

Attachments

• Quantum Paper.pdf
    249.1 KB · Views: 174
Thanks! The last equation on the first page is not right. You need to sandwich x^2 between the ψ s in the integral, rather than x and squaring the whole thing.

so the <x_1^2> and <x_2^2> integrals are wrong. Oh! ok, do you mean to say that the wavefunctions should stay as they are, and only x_1 should be changed to x_1^2 respectively? Thanks! I shall correct this imediately.

Yes, and then you don't need to square the whole thing.

When I do the integral from -infinity to infinity, it doesn't converge? Edit: I think there is a problem with my formula, wait, let me fix it .

yeah, in the doc I forgot to put a square over the x in the wavefunction exponent.

FIXED! here it is updated:

Attachments

• Quantum Paper.pdf
    248.6 KB · Views: 217
here is the more corrected one, I mistakenly redirected M as the wavefunction modulus with variable, which could cause confusion with the Mass

Attachments

• Quantum Paper.pdf
    248.7 KB · Views: 184
Good morning Mniazi. What is H(y)? Aren't these the hermite polynomials? I think they should be a function of x.

Yes! These are Hermite Polynomials, but since theey are a function of $$\sqrt{\frac{M*\omega}{\pi}*x}$$, so I wrote it with respect to y, which the document states equals to $$\sqrt{\frac{M*\omega}{\pi}*x}$$. :)

OK, I missed that. If that's the case why are they appearing in your final expressions? Shouldn't they be evaluated as part of the integral?

I even checked the integration on Mathematica, It is coming the same. should they not appear in the final equation?

They are functions of x so how could they appear in the expectation value of a function of x?

My proffessor says that the document is incomplete, cause I still have to evaluate <x^2> using the virial theorem, working on that now.

Edit: he is saying the same thing about x being a free variable and can't be in the answer.

Last edited:
:thumbs:

1. What is a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

A 1-D harmonic oscillator is a system in which two particles are connected by a spring and are allowed to move only along a single dimension. The potential energy of this system is proportional to the square of the distance between the particles, making it a harmonic potential.

2. What is the difference between x1 and x2 in a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

In a 1-D harmonic oscillator, x1 and x2 represent the positions of the two particles along the dimension in which they are allowed to move. The difference between them, x1-x2, is a measure of the distance between the particles.

3. How is the potential energy of a 1-D harmonic oscillator related to x1-x2?

The potential energy of a 1-D harmonic oscillator is given by V(x) = k(x1-x2)2, where k is the spring constant. This means that the potential energy is directly proportional to the square of the distance between the particles, x1-x2.

4. How does the value of x1-x2 affect the behavior of a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

The value of x1-x2 determines the potential energy of the system, which in turn affects the motion of the particles. For example, when x1-x2 is large, the potential energy is high and the particles experience a strong force that causes them to oscillate rapidly. When x1-x2 is small, the potential energy is low and the particles experience a weaker force, resulting in slower oscillations.

5. What is the significance of studying 1-D harmonic oscillators in science?

1-D harmonic oscillators are commonly used as a simplified model for more complex systems, such as molecules and atoms. By studying these simple systems, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of more complex systems and make predictions about their properties. Additionally, 1-D harmonic oscillators have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, making them a valuable concept to understand in science.