What is you favor law of nature,

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of mathematical theorems in representing the laws of nature. While some may argue that math is not an exact reflection of nature, it is still a valuable tool in understanding and describing natural phenomena. The conversation also touches on the concept of accuracy and the limitations of measurement.
kant
Principles, math theorm.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Aren't maths theorems just approximations of the laws of nature,even constants like the fine structure constant are not 100% accurate.

I'd say the best law of nature is evolution followed by gravity perhaps.:smile:
man.jpg

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Aren't maths theorems just approximations of the laws of nature
Maths does not concern itself with the laws of nature. That is the job of physics.

even constants like the fine structure constant are not 100% accurate.
What exactly do you mean by this? It is a measurement or a description that possesses the property of accuracy. The value of the constant, just like the value of any other measured quantity (that isn't quantized) as determined by measurement, naturally can not be had to an arbitrary accuracy (heck, is it even possible to write down an arbitrary real number in a finite time?).

Gokul43201 said:
Maths does not concern itself with the laws of nature. That is the job of physics.

Erm ok, do you not think that was a little bit of a nit pick? I think it's clear what he's referring too, and what I am, I was pointing out that maths is not an exact reflection of the laws of nature, on it's own. In other words?

What exactly do you mean by this? It is a measurement or a description that possesses the property of accuracy. The value of the constant, just like the value of any other measured quantity (that isn't quantized) as determined by measurement, naturally can not be had to an arbitrary accuracy (heck, is it even possible to write down an arbitrary real number in a finite time?).

Exactly what you just said, so why has he said maths theorems? And by maths theorems I presume he's talking about mathematical terms that apply to theory, or nature, thus the ?

I kind of get the feeling that we are both saying the same thing pretty much.

When I think of a law of nature I don't think of

[tex] F_g=G.\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/tex]

I tend to think of gravity and the discussion of gravity's effects as the law and the maths as the closest representation possible of these effects given condtion x.

Last edited:
I didn't read the question that way. I read it as "what are your favorite laws of nature, principles, and math theorems?" But I still don't understand what you mean by :
I was pointing out that maths is not an exact reflection of the laws of nature

That is exactly the opposite of what I was trying to say; that it does not attempt to be one. I guess it's just not as clear to me as it is to you.

Last edited:
I see what you mean? Very odd way of writing the question, I've not seen someone do that before, never mind.:smile: Obviously my mistake.

Gokul43201 said:
That is exactly the opposite of what I was trying to say; that it does not attempt to be one. I guess it's just not as clear to me as it is to you.

Well considering I misinterpreted the question, I didn't think that was made clear? Anyway doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of people split up a sentence between the thread title and the first part of the OP. Can be quite confusing.

a^2+b^2=c^2

I think we just saw the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics at work in the first 8 posts!:smile:

Go 2nd Law!

What is your favorite law of nature?

As a scientist, it is difficult for me to pick just one favorite law of nature as all of them are equally important and fascinating. However, if I had to choose, it would probably be the law of gravity. This fundamental law governs the motion of all objects in the universe and has a profound impact on our daily lives.

How does the law of gravity work?

The law of gravity states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull, and the farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational attraction will be.

What are some real-life examples of the law of gravity?

The law of gravity can be observed in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, when we drop an object, it falls to the ground because of the Earth's gravitational pull. The moon orbits around the Earth due to the Earth's gravitational force, and the Earth orbits around the sun because of the sun's gravitational pull. Even our weight on Earth is a result of the gravitational pull between our bodies and the planet.

How does the law of gravity relate to other laws of nature?

The law of gravity is closely related to other fundamental laws of nature, such as the laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics. These laws work together to explain the behavior of objects in the universe and are essential for understanding the physical world around us.

Has the law of gravity ever been proven wrong?

So far, the law of gravity has stood the test of time and has never been proven wrong. However, it is worth noting that our understanding of gravity has evolved over time, from Newton's law of universal gravitation to Einstein's theory of general relativity. As our scientific knowledge and technology continue to advance, it is possible that our understanding of gravity may also change in the future.