Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your eyesight worth?

1. no amount of money

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. at least a million dollars

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. at least a billion dollars

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. some higher amount

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    Would you give up your eyesight (permanently) for a billion dollars? A million?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The last guy I dated was blind in one eye. I would have never known if he hadn't told me. When you have only one eye left, that eye becomes very precious.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

What ever thoughts did you have when you posted this ?

5. Jun 19, 2006 #4
    If I went blind, I'd kill myself. (Not being cute, in all seriousness, I would)

I could manage being deaf, but blind.....no.

6. Jun 19, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I guess I'm the only one to answer positively. I'd gladly go blind for a billion dollars. Gordon Gund lives a better life than I.

7. Jun 19, 2006 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Here's a similar example, be careful what you wish for:

redsox.wmv

8. Jun 19, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

OWWWch, i nearly droped my lap top, the thought of it sends me cock eyed.

9. Jun 19, 2006 #8
    If I had no vision I would cease to have any memory whatsoever and a very decreased level of ability to learn and be productive. I'd much rather be confined to a wheelchair or a bubble than to be blind, I just don't think I'd adjust well. I'm very dependent on my vision.

10. Jun 19, 2006 #9

Astronuc

I would not voluntarily give up my sight for any amount of money.

If I went blind, I'd make do somehow.

11. Jun 19, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are my sentiments as well.

12. Jun 19, 2006 #11
    There are many things that are worth much more than money, and most of them we get for free. Life, health, sight and even love (the stuff you buy isn't really love) we should be thankful for these gifts and not worry about money. If we lose one of them most of us would willingly part with all our money to get it back.

13. Jun 19, 2006 #12
    I wonder how people voting for at least billion of dollars imagine their life without a sight. Even if you have all of this you cannot enjoy your money because you're blind, and things you want for money you usually don't have require an eyesight.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  14. Jun 19, 2006 #13
    At this point in my life, no amount of money would suffice. However, I voted for "some higher amount" (not seeing the first option :redface:)

15. Jun 19, 2006 #14
    If it was a matter of my family starving and living on the streets, then that would be a different matter....

*talking in future tense*

16. Jun 19, 2006 #15
    Can't remember, I was watching tv when I thought of it. I asked LYN if he would give up his eyesight for a billion dollars and he basically said hells yes. I was pretty surprised and couldn't accept the arguments he was making for it, so I decided to start a poll to see if it was me that was the crazy one. As usual, it wasn't:wink:

17. Jun 20, 2006 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, some surprising results. The overwhelming majority would give their eyesight up for free. :bugeye:

I picked some higher amount, since it came the closest to reflecting how I'd feel about losing my eyesight.

18. Jun 20, 2006 #17

Mk

Thank you so much! I will be glad to ignore that link.

Some stuff on the internet you don't want to see. Seriously, it has a negative impact on the rest of your day.

19. Jun 20, 2006 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I really wonder why people think life as a blind person would be so terrible. Gordon Gund might be the only blind billionaire, but there are others that have plenty of money, and others that have no money, that have lives just as fulfilling and rich as my own. It isn't my eyesight that makes me a happy person.

20. Jun 20, 2006 #19

Evo

:rolleyes: Heh.

:grumpy:

21. Jun 20, 2006 #20
    100,000,000,000.17[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?