Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your favorite beer?

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    who here likes beer, what what is your favorite beer?
    Who hates beer?

'cause I was just thinkin I could go for a beer right now... I don't know what kind, but just simply a beer would be nice right now. If I had to say which kind I like I'd say I'm kinda partial to lagers, pale ales, and wheat ales.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    I have a beer once in a long while in social situations. I'm not really a fan of beer at all. In fact, I've never consumed enough beer in one sitting to feel any affect from the alcohol. I suppose I'll eventually get use it. Or, I won't care to.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

Not a fan of beer at all. Much more a hard liquour man. Vodka, rum, Aftershock, its all good. Beer not so much. Guinness is good though, I'll go out of my way to get that. But thats about it.

5. Mar 4, 2006 #4

Mk

Beer tastes bad.

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    Belgium beer is the best by far :) And Orval is my fav.

If you live in LA I know where you can go. There is a nice bar on the pier of redondo beach. The owner is a self confessed beer geek, and knows everything you could ever want about beer, and has a massive collection. Not quiet as big as the pub down the street from my appartment, but hey I live in Brussels.

7. Mar 4, 2006 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

8. Mar 4, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are wine people and there are beer people.

I've been to about two dozen wine tastings and I still can't tell the difference between Merlot and Pinot Noir. I know enough to know that any wine people out there are on their backs laughing at me right now.

I can, however, taste the difference between lager, IPA, Pilsner, bitter (well duh), stout, and white beers (without looking).

Winos...I mean "wine people" sometimes feel that their preferred beverage is more cultured; I totally disagree. And that stuff consumed at ballgames is not "beer."

9. Mar 4, 2006 #8

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love beer and I homebrew. I like to try different styles but I more bias for english ales and typically the darker one (brown, porters and stouts).

Homebrew gives you a chance to produce different types of ales and lager.

I have brew at least 20 different style of beer. My IPA seems to be the favorite among people that drink my beer. Right now, I have an imperial stout that has been aged for more than a year.

10. Mar 4, 2006 #9
    I only like beer in the summer, and then I tend to go for local micro-beers..like Detroit Red.

11. Mar 4, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ian, my man! I'm coming right over.

I am a brown ale, porter, stout lover. :tongue2:

The darker and heavier, the better.

And I like Single Malt Scotch or Whisky as well, although I like some blends.

I can't stand bourbon though! :yuck:

12. Mar 4, 2006 #11
    Good man.. whats you tipple? Lagavulin is my fav right now, second being laphroiag... Actually most of the islay malts, I prefer the peaty wiskeys

13. Mar 4, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Lagavulin and Laphroiag are both excellent, as are the Islay malts in general. Macallan (http://www.themacallan.com/) and Glenmorangie (http://www.glenmorangie.com/) are also favorites, and generally 18-25 yrs. Macallan is a Speyside and Glenmorangie from the Northern Highlands.

In Japan, I enjoyed Suntori Black, a blend - straight - no water, no ice.

At a dinner in Osaka, I was served a whisky diluted and with ice. :yuck: I had to send it back twice, first to remove the ice, and second to get it straight. They were not used to someone who drinks whisky unadulterated.

Let's not forget this is a beer thread. :biggrin:

14. Mar 4, 2006 #13
    what are Lagavulin and Laphroiag? can you get those in the US?

15. Mar 4, 2006 #14

Evo

16. Mar 4, 2006 #15

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Mar 4, 2006 #16

Astronuc

18. Mar 4, 2006 #17

Astronuc

Seriously now -

Anti-inflammatory effect of beer

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/medizin_gesundheit/bericht-56005.html

Beer down-regulates activated peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro

:cool:

19. Mar 4, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like good beers (that means keep that watered down Bud crap away from me). IPAs and bitters are among my favorites, though I haven't been able to find a good bitter in the U.S. (I was sampling as many as I could during my brief visit to the U.K. a few years back). Contrary to the name, I didn't find bitters to be bitter at all. And, then on a cool evening, sometimes a porter or stout is just the thing to enjoy next to the fire.

Chi Meson, as for the difference between a merlot and a pinot noir, that's easy...the merlot is the one I don't like (it always gives me a headache...lots of sulfites I think). :biggrin: I let the wine snobs pick the wines, and just put in the caveat that I don't want a merlot or chardonnay, but anything else is okay, and they usually find something that tastes good to me. Have you ever tried two wines side-by-side? That's when you can tell the difference a bit better. The same for anyone trying beers who can't tell the difference...try some different ones side-by-side and you'll better see how they compare.

20. Mar 4, 2006 #19
    Japanise brewer used to send there children to scotland to "learn" the inner working of good wiskey making.. Problem is it's in the water ;) uisge beatha

I would be intertested in tasting some tho...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  21. Mar 4, 2006 #20
    ok, who wants to go to the American Beer Fest 2006 in Boston?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?