What is your favorite field of math?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation revolved around everyone's specialties in mathematics, with a focus on algebra, logic, and analysis. Some participants expressed their dislike for calculus, while others mentioned their interest in topics such as discrete mathematics and tensor calculus. One voter chose "other" as their specialty, which sparked some curiosity and speculation about what it could be. The conversation also touched upon the limitations of a multiple choice poll and the inclusion of different branches of mathematics.

What is your favorite field?

• Analysis

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Algebra

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Toplogy

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Number Theory

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Logic

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Geometry

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Statistics

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Applied Math (what type?)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Discrete Math

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
gravenewworld
Just curious as to what everyone's specialty is on here. Personally, I love algebra (to be very general) and logic. I head for the hills whenever I start to see a lot of integrals and summations, i.e. I dislike analysis a lot.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hm..There are three votes and each is 50%?

Well, discrete mathematics includes logic and number theory. And why isn't calculus a choice?

I voted for algebra and other (calculus).

Well, discrete mathematics includes logic and number theory. And why isn't calculus a choice?

I only had 10 spots so I couldn't cover all the subfields of each major branch (gasp! possible use of pigeonhole principle here?:biggrin:) , which is why I have the other category. I just put down what came to mind first. Analysis covers calculus if I am not mistaken.

xAxis said:
hm..There are three votes and each is 50%?
It's a multiple choice poll. If everybody selected every option, then every branch would show up as having 100% of the votes.

z-component said:

calculus is part of analysis

Data said:
calculus is part of analysis
Thanks, this I did not know.

Tensor calculus is fascinating. In specific - application to the Navier-Stokes & fluid equations of motion.

Who has the other 'other' vote? We know the first is just a vote for analysis, but the other is a mystery at the moment.

gee I am so specialized, my favorite topic, algebraic geometry, does not appear.

CRGreathouse said:
Who has the other 'other' vote? We know the first is just a vote for analysis, but the other is a mystery at the moment.
hmm... numerology? :rofl:

analysis, algebra, logic, and geometry

edit: and I must say, I'm not suprised analysis is winning.

1. What is your favorite field of math?

My favorite field of math is geometry. I find it fascinating to explore the relationships between shapes and figures, and how they can be applied in real-world situations.

2. Why do you like geometry?

I like geometry because it is a visual and hands-on type of math. It allows me to use my creativity and problem-solving skills to understand and manipulate shapes.

3. What is the most interesting concept in geometry to you?

The most interesting concept in geometry to me is symmetry. I am amazed by how symmetry can be found in nature, art, and even in the human body.

4. How has geometry been useful in your scientific career?

Geometry has been useful in my scientific career in many ways. It has helped me with spatial reasoning, data visualization, and understanding patterns in data.

5. What advice would you give to someone interested in learning more about geometry?

My advice would be to start with the basics and practice regularly. Geometry can be challenging at first, but with patience and persistence, it can become a fascinating and rewarding field of math to explore.