Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your favorite kind of chocolate?

1. Milk Chocolate

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dark Chocolate

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. White Chocolate

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Semi-Sweet Chocolate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Mar 7, 2005 #1

Mk

What is your favorite kind of chocolate?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2
    Milk chocola-ta-te

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I voted for dark only because I can't vote for more than one choice. All of the above except white (which I don't think is really chocolate, more like candle wax or something). My absolute favorite chocolate is from a chocolate shop in NJ call Thomas' Sweets. They have these chocolates called meltaways in an assortment of flavors, both dark and milk (french milk is one of my favorites, but the dark espresso one is a close second), and as the name implies, they just melt on your tongue. Mmmmmm. Whenever I'm back in NJ, I try to get a chance to visit that shop (they have two shops, one near Rutgers and one near Princeton). They also have wonderful ice cream (they had the ice cream first, then expanded to chocolates). Thanks, now you have me craving unattainable chocolate. Hmm...I wonder if they have a website to order from?

5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  6. Mar 7, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All & it differs, currently consuming too much dark. Have a love and hate relationship with coconut doped.

7. Mar 7, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love The Cheesecake Factory! But, it takes me forever to figure out what to order. I wish I could get them to bring me a platter full of bite-sized pieces of all the cheesecakes so I don't have to pick just one. :biggrin:

8. Mar 7, 2005 #7

Mk

Now I want to go check if you can order Godiva chocolate online...

9. Mar 7, 2005 #8

Mk

10. Mar 7, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've gotten Godiva shipped to me before (though I didn't do the ordering :blushing:) and it arrives just fine. Well, of course that might depend on how hot the delivery truck gets. What's the temperature in Guam this time of year? Around here, there's not a chance it could melt on the way.

11. Mar 7, 2005 #10

BLASPHEMER!!!

May a hundred thousand midgets invade your home singing cheezy lounge-lizard
    versions of songs from The Wizard of Oz.

12. Mar 7, 2005 #11
    Mmmm, chocolate.

My preference is for dark chocolate. The darker the better, although I've never met a chocolate I didn't like.

Moonbear is correct about white chocolate, which technically isn't chocolate at all since there is no chocolate liquer in it. But it does have lots of cocoa fat, which is almost as good. White chocolate usually isn't something I go out of the way to eat though. I'd have to put it at the bottom of my list of preferences.

13. Mar 7, 2005 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I like dark and semi-sweet chocolates, but I go a step further and my favorite is raspberry-chocolate followed by orange-chocolate, the latter being Orange Jaffas.

I love a good dark chocolate torte with raspberry sauce/puree. It is so hard to find.

14. Mar 7, 2005 #13
    hmm... how about as little as possible... i only like chocolate in very small small doses. like one piece at a tims. I voted for milk chocolate cause its usually whats in candy bars and stuff eh? I also prefer gourmet chocolate, it just sets better in my stomach than cheap chocolate. I hate cheap chocolate... like in those heart shaped boxes from the grocery store with all those gross chocolates in them... ya those chocolates are gross... Only the expensive stuff for me guys :wink:

15. Mar 7, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

White chocolate is as much chocolate as milk chocolate. It is part cocoa butter and part confection, basically, whereas milk chocolate is part cocoa, part cocoa butter, part confection, and part milk. Both are made from half cacao derivatives and half from something else. Anyway, I'm a bit of a chocolate expert myself. I've both managed a chocolate shop and been a guide to a travelling chocolate exhibit when it went through the LA County Museum of Natural History. I am badly lactose intolerant, so I only eat dark chocolate, but to say that its the best hardly does justice to the situation. When you know as much and have eaten as much as I have, all dark chocolate is certainly not equal. They come in many different % cocoa mixtures and can have different spices and flavorings mixed in with them. It's hard to say what my favorite has been, but I do prefer anywhere from 50-70% pure cocoa. Lindt is a very good manufacturer, but unfortunately they don't have any stores west of PA.

16. Mar 7, 2005 #15

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing you've never had "Russian" dark chocolate ? If you ever get the chance buy a box, a big one ... it's the darkest I've sampled and for the very reason plain :!!) .

17. Mar 7, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What is the percentage of cocoa? The highest I've ever personally tasted was 85% (I have eaten a raw cacao pod, but I don't know if that counts). Very sharp and flavorful, but a little too strong. I'm generally a fan of sharp but still fairly mild flavors.

18. Mar 7, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chocolate snob! :tongue:

Oooh oooh oooh, I nominate loseyourname to organize the first ever PF chocolate tasting event! Tsu, get the tour bus fueled up, we're headed to wine (and chocolate) country! :biggrin:

19. Mar 7, 2005 #18

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Cheap chocolate actually makes my mouth and gums break out, something about the wax that I react to. Dark chocolate from belgium is my favorite, swiss chocolate is much to sweet for me. I have yet to taste a good white chocolate, but I would be sure to give it a try. Isn't it true though that chocolate starts out white in color and vanilla starts out dark (from the bean)?

20. Mar 7, 2005 #19

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's around those figures, some of it is really hard (like eating pebbles) and typically a bit too strong .... but well, decreases consumption ... cognac gives some added character :approve: .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?