What is your favorite movie(s)?

• Thread starter Quincy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes a list of favorite movies from various genres and discussions about specific films such as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle. The conversation also includes mentions of Totoro, Brazil, and several other popular movies.
Heide.

Physics news on Phys.org
FrancisZ said:
You know what is funny about this? Even in the future the Germans are as organized as an Intergalactic Empire. Makes you wonder if they have a Death Star.

Much better - every spaceship of at least category "Schneller Raumkreuzer" (Fast Space Cruiser) has the "Overkill" device on board (they really used the English word overkill) which is capable of destroying a planet. The clip shows a scene where it is just tested, i.e. not with full power:

But they only use Overkill if it's really necessary o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Heide.

:confused: Do you mean Heidi ?

OMG - please tell me it's not true... Or that you meant one of the X-Rated versions featuring an adult Heidi...

Or are you talking of clips with Heidi Klum ? :tongue2:

Oberst Villa said:
Do you mean Heidi?

No, I mean Heidi. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063051/"

Joe Namath and a bunch of other really good athletes were eager to watch this movie but due to pressing obligations were unable. I feel sorry for them.

Oberst Villa said:
Much better - every spaceship of at least category "Schneller Raumkreuzer" (Fast Space Cruiser) has the "Overkill" device on board (they really used the English word overkill) which is capable of destroying a planet. The clip shows a scene where it is just tested, i.e. not with full power:

But they only use Overkill if it's really necessary o:)

I'm impressed with their special effects. I think the computer simulation & voice is pretty cool for 60's tv.

Quincy said:
What is your favorite movie(s)?

Mine:

-Spirited Away (yes it's a "cartoon", yes the characters' eyes look like saucers, yes it's the best movie of all time)
-GoodFellas (humorous (in a twisted way), good story, great acting/directing)
-The Shawshank Redemption
-Princess Mononoke
-Dr. Strangelove
-Back to the Future
-Lord of the Rings (all three)
-Forrest Gump
-Raiders of the Lost Ark

These are great picks.

What's my favorite movie of all time?

Believe it or not... "Fantasia"... and all of the Warner Brother's parodies of it.

Actually... "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

This film had so many features to like about it, I couldn't get over it.

There's the history, there's the earthiness, there's the humour and the gunplay... there's too much to mention... including the sets. The other thing is, its a foreign film made to look domestic... very tricky.

My favorite quote from GB&U is when Clint says:

"Such ingratitude ... after all the times I've saved your life."

Amadeus
Boondock Saints
Clerks
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Galaxy Quest
Good Will Hunting
Immortal Beloved
Pulp Fiction
Requiem for a Dream
Reservoir Dogs
Serenity
Shaun of the Dead

I have many favorite movies, but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders_(1998_film ) gets my vote but it's not for everyone.
The combo of Matt Damon and Edward Norton is too much goodness in one movie.

Machete and True Grit are my recent top two!

Some movies on my Top List:

The Shawshank Redemption
Inception
The Dark Knight
Harry Potter
Sherlock Holmes
Social Network

These are not all my top picks. Just some recent ones that I can remember.

Castaway, LOTR, Star Wars, The Ocean series, Princess Monoke, Radio, etc.

I liked:
I, Robot
Pursuit of Happyness
Invictus
Batman Begins
Dark night
A few good men
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Taare Zammen Par

Can anyone recommend some good drama movies, I have been searching but cannot find many. Preferably pg 13

^ I really like The Majestic, it's a very good natured story. Also: Amelie, it's French, and it's amazing. So is A Very Long Engagement - it's a mature movie and contains strong violence (set in WWI), but it will break your heart (in a good way) :)

Good Night, and Good Luck - a movie about Edward R. Murrow (the journalist) vs McCarthy (the senator), it's in black and white with a great smokey jazz soundtrack and has a very authentic cinema feeling about it. George Clooney, David Strathairn and Robert Downey Jr.

Life Is Beautiful. This is my favourite film of all time, it's absolutely the best I've ever seen. Written directed and staring Roberto Benigni as a father with wife and child in a German prison camp, and how he keeps his son from ever knowing how dire the situation was. It's a truly amazing film!

A few other favourites include:

Adaptation (Chris COOOOOPER! He rocks this film, and Meryl is great too, I love it)
Miller's Crossing (a perfect gangster film about hats :)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (dramatic, hilarious, adventurous!)
9 (Tim Burton produced animation, if you haven't seen it, SEE IT! it's first class! :)
Platoon (I rewatched this recently, it's still great <3)
Das Boot (I just watched this for the first time last week, was gobsmacked, an amazing war movie, I can't believe I waited so long to see it >.>)
True Grit (the latest one by the Coen Bros, I loved it!)
Northfork (this movie is strange, surreal, quiet, the story is slow moving and very sad but uplifting at the same time, I watched it twice in one sitting!)
Princess Bride (a spoof of the whole fantastic disney movie genre, but it stands alone as something else entirely, it's the best kids movie around, and still funny even when you aren't a kid anymore!

Hmm...really good...

Made for television movie: Eleanor & Franklin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-tozD_Wwg

Cinema: Nixon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx0t-pLLD2k

*nod to mugs*
'12 Angry Men'

and...

The original: 'True Grit'

nismaratwork said:
*nod to mugs*
'12 Angry Men'

and...

The original: 'True Grit'
Both are classics; no doubt in my mind. Still I admit, I can't look past: one of 12, said angry fellows, was also the voice of Piglet on Winnie the Pooh.

[PLAIN]http://images2.makefive.com/images/entertainment/television/ambigously-gay-cartoon-characters/piglet-winnie-the-pooh-7.gif

Just seething with rage, isn't he? :biggrin:

FrancisZ said:
Both are classics; no doubt in my mind. Still I admit, I can't look past: one of 12, said angry fellows, was also the voice of Piglet on Winnie the Pooh.

[PLAIN]http://images2.makefive.com/images/entertainment/television/ambigously-gay-cartoon-characters/piglet-winnie-the-pooh-7.gif

Just seething with rage, isn't he? :biggrin:

He had a dark side, that piglet... the blood... oh the rivers of blood!

Mostly Sci-Fi for me

The Man from Earth
Solaris
Jacob's Ladder
All that Jazz
Metropolis

Fail-Safe
[The entire movie is available for streaming at Google Videos]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7998426879518244182#

The Lathe of Heaven [full movie]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6032236535078716306#

The Lathe of Heaven was a PBS movie made for TV. Much of the acting [not all] and directing are marginal at best, and many scenes are very bad by normal standards... well... by any standards, but the story is wonderful.

I really love movies with great dialogue and which are very cleverly written (where you can watch them multiple times and keep finding new things you missed last time).

Coen brothers' movies are great at this with the 2 best ones being:
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

25th Hour - great movie, I might just like it because I grew up in NYC and I love that monologue when Ed Norton is talking to himself about NYC (I grew up in Bensonhurst with the guido's and that shot with them sitting around a playground with bats and such is spot on!)

The Princess Bride - Classic!
Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
In Bruges - Awesome movie but I had to watch it like 3 times just to understand the dialogue because of the very heavy accents.

Woody Allen flicks tend to be pretty good (Deconstructing Harry)

Tombstone - Another classic!
Spaghetti Westerns are great.

And I think this is only because of nostalgia but I love all of the old cheesy 80's early 90's Jean Claude Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Schwarzenegger, Stallone etc movies.
Bloodsport
Commando

That movie when Seagal is a cop who gets shot and goes into a coma then wakes up and kills everyone, I think its called Hard to Kill or something.

All those really old, cheesy one-liner, action movies make me feel like I am really young again sitting there translating for my mom and dad cause they hardly knew English at that time.

These are my favorite movies :-
1 Harry potter
2 Narnia
3 Prince of Persia
4 Terminator
5 XMen
6 Resident Evil
7 Inception
8 Unstoppable
9 Predator
10 Faster

Star Wars: The Empire strikes back
Das boot
Cool hand Luke
The usual suspects

The Seventh Seal

seventhseal6.jpg

It's brilliant.

I also love:

Run Lola Run
The Deerhunter
Requiem for a Dream
Bourne Trilogy

silence98 said:
The Seventh Seal

seventhseal6.jpg

It's brilliant.

I also love:

Run Lola Run
The Deerhunter
Requiem for a Dream
Bourne Trilogy

Ohhh... good choice on that first of your list especially!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEM7bluhxA

Wish by Thomas D said:
Oh baby bitte bitte lauf lauf
gib nicht auf ich hab dich vermisst Es fressen
mich Daemonen auf wenn Du nicht bei mir bist
Ich tue was Du verlangst hab keine Angst
Ich lass Dich nicht allein denn uns gehoert die Welt
wir koennen alles sein doch jetzt bist Du auf dich gestellt...

Whenever I hear this question I rather instinctively think "Benny and Joon"... note: more for Mary Stuart Masterson (also great in chick-flick "Fried Green Tomatoes") and Julianne Moore (always great) than Johnny Depp (not always great, but often fun -- and he does a great job with the Charlie-Chaplin acts).

But looking at this in retrospect it's become too similar to my personal life (cast me as a Ruthie who could fix her own car -- love interest has post-traumatic issues from being orphaned as a child, and love interest also comes with the bonus of a special-needs family member). This is probably why I don't watch it anymore.

physics girl phd said:
Whenever I hear this question I rather instinctively think "Benny and Joon"... note: more for Mary Stuart Masterson (also great in chick-flick "Fried Green Tomatoes") and Julianne Moore (always great) than Johnny Depp (not always great, but often fun -- and he does a great job with the Charlie-Chaplin acts).

But looking at this in retrospect it's become too similar to my personal life (cast me as a Ruthie who could fix her own car -- love interest has post-traumatic issues from being orphaned as a child, and love interest also comes with the bonus of a special-needs family member). This is probably why I don't watch it anymore.

Nothing curdles the blood like entertainment coming too close to our personal realities... very understandable.

I'd add: 'Outland'

Ivan Seeking said:
Mostly Sci-Fi for me

The Man from Earth
Solaris
Jacob's Ladder
All that Jazz
Metropolis

Fail-Safe
[The entire movie is available for streaming at Google Videos]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7998426879518244182#

The Lathe of Heaven [full movie]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6032236535078716306#

The Lathe of Heaven was a PBS movie made for TV. Much of the acting [not all] and directing are marginal at best, and many scenes are very bad by normal standards... well... by any standards, but the story is wonderful.

You know 'TLoH' was originally a novel by Ursula K. LeGuin? You may enjoy it more in its original form if you found the adaptation lacking.

DanP said:
Star Wars: The Empire strikes back

YES. Dan we finally agree on something. Empire was always my favorite of the original three (and all 6 really). My older brother always said: "Geez, why do you always like sequels; or when the bad guys are winning?"I do like sequels, admittedly: Temple of Doom, for example. But I like The Empire Strikes Back, best of all Star Wars flicks, on account of the ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-KR-14uXM

"Put Captain Solo in." The voice I shall sorely miss some day. Long live James Earl Jones.

I also like sequels frequently, because the characters have already been established; and I find,a lot of the time, writers add substantial depth in the middle of a story.As an aside: I also love "Being There"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfMCeidJ8bg&feature

My top picks would be High School Musical (all three).

We're soarin' flyin'! OMG it's the best.

RichardParker said:
My top picks would be High School Musical (all three).

We're soarin' flyin'! OMG it's the best.

Heh... are you kidding?

nismaratwork said:
Heh... are you kidding?

To each his own, boss. I like my own brand of camp...give me a bit to dig it up.

FrancisZ said:
To each his own, boss. I like my own brand of camp...give me a bit to dig it up.

Hey, I love the Rocky Horror Picture Show... I know from camp. Highschool Musical is just... well I watched it with a niece and it was physically painful. I believe I developed a brief bout of aplastic anemia as a result, and I was passing blood for a week!

vickyyadav said:
This movie should have blown us out of the water.
I was a wreck after I saw it. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. My wife was drowning in tears.

I only recently saw "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus." After "Tideland" and "Brother's Grimm" I was wary of another Terry Gilliam mis-fire. Pleased to say that I think it was his best since Brazil. Right there with Time Bandits and 12 Monkeys, easily. I can't get over how perfect Tom Waits was as Mr. Nick (the devil). It's unfortunate that Heath Ledger died halfway through the movie. It would have been better, probably, than it ended up, but I have to give mountains of praise to Gilliam for how he handled saving Ledger's last film from the heap.