What is your favorite Star Trek series

In summary: I tend to dismiss the subsequent series, admittedly without giving them much of a chance, but recently I started getting into Enterprise and found it interesting, especially the early relationship with the Vulcans. After a while, however, it grew a bit tiresome as there was hardly an episode where ships weren't firing on each other a la Star Wars or there wasn't a shootout with phaser pistols, and it seemed every encounter with aliens ended up badly.

What is your favorite Star Trek series

• The Original Series (1966–69)

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • The Next Generation (1987–94)

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Deep Space Nine (1993–99)

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Voyager (1995–2001)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Enterprise (2001–05)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I prefer the movies

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Buzz Bloom said:
Not close 4th choice: Enterprise. Favorite character: Kirk.

Kirk?

Physics news on Phys.org
pixel said:
Kirk?
Archer. I just don't understand why it's not T'Pol. :biggrin:

Kelvin timeline.

Next Generation with Deep Space Nine as a close second; TNG had the better captain (though Sisko is definitely a cool cat), but you can guess from my avatar that DSN had the better villains. Favorite characters overall tend to be Picard, Kirk, Spock, Data, Riker, Sisko, Bashir, Quark, Nog, Q, O'Brien, Odo, Garak and Dukat; honorable mentions to Worf, Quinan, Martok, and Gowron.

Last edited:
No love for the animated series?

Vanadium 50 said:
No love for the animated series?

The special effects were too hokey. The one episode I tried to watch, the alien spaceship they were checking out looked like a giant flower or seed pod or something.

Given my decades old crush on Mariette Hartley
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpX6LFmaKKQU6uyr99DHNoWmosmYdqxlWYoTQtlilXoqR338MdUA.jpg
i have to vote for original TV series episode "All Our Yesterdays" .

Likes davenn, Asymptotic, OCR and 1 other person
Since this thread is about favorites, and I voted for movies, my favorite movies are:
1. (By far my first choice) Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
3. Star Trek: First Contact

Likes fresh_42
Buzz Bloom said:
Since this thread is about favorites, and I voted for movies, my favorite movies are:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
I
I
I
[empty space to emphasize how far above the rest ST2 is]
I
I
I
2. Star Trek: Insurrection
3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Likes davenn
Buzz Bloom said:
Yep. And it contains my most favorite quote [McCOY]:

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.

This is so true. I always had been inclined to claim my country is the worst, but then I discovered, all others aren't much better. O.k. I haven't checked all, but some major ones, so the hypothesis appears to be justified.

Likes davenn and XZ923
fresh_42 said:
Yep. And it contains my most favorite quote [McCOY]:

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.

This is so true. I always had been inclined to claim my country is the worst, but then I discovered, all others aren't much better. O.k. I haven't checked all, but some major ones, so the hypothesis appears to be justified.

British writer C N Parkinson wrote at length on Bureaucracy in the 1950's. His "The Law of Delay" is a classic and management curricula are beginning to recognize his contributions to the science. I highly recommend that book to anyone working for an outfit of significant size . From my position at the bottom of the organization it gave me great ability to make light of the all too often self defeating machinations of middle management.
I sent a copy to our CEO .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345225651/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes OmCheeto and fresh_42
jim hardy said:
British writer C N Parkinson wrote at length on Bureaucracy in the 1950's. His "The Law of Delay" is a classic and management curricula are beginning to recognize his contributions to the science. I highly recommend that book to anyone working for an outfit of significant size . From my position at the bottom of the organization it gave me great ability to make light of the all too often self defeating machinations of middle management.
I sent a copy to our CEO .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345225651/?tag=pfamazon01-20

for going so off topic, and, for not telling me about this book when I was employed by an outfit of significant size.

ps. I'm forwarding your book recommendation to my young protege, as she got caught up in such machinations, and is probably still there, wondering how to deal with it.
pps. OMG. Middle management...

Likes jim hardy
Hmm. Yes, i digressed...

Surely there was a Star Trek on this thought ...

When any organizational entity expands beyond 21 members, the real power will be in some smaller body. C. Northcote Parkinson
www.brainyquote.com/authors/c_northcote_parkinson

?

Likes OmCheeto
I don't have a favorite. They each had their own merits and I enjoyed them equally.

Likes OmCheeto
jim hardy said:
Hmm. Yes, i digressed...

Surely there was a Star Trek on this thought ...
?
Glad you did. I made many "trekkian" connections with Parkinson's thoughts.

As I see it:
Parkinson: "Here's what's wrong with the way we run things."
Roddenberry: "Here's how people in the future run things."

I may have to get that book, and read it myself.

ps. Here's the portion I deleted from my post yesterday:

ppps.
Fast rewind to OmCheeto in the Navy:
Captain; "We've got a problem."
Om; "I'm pretty good with problems. Would you like me to work on it?"
Captain; "Make it so, OmCheeto!"
Me; "Ok. [scratches head. solves problem.] Done!"
Fleet Admiral; "Give that Om kid a medal or something."
[true story]

Slow rewind to civilian life:
Om; "You could make this a lot more efficient if you..."
Middle management; "Shut up! I'm in charge here."
[true story]

Is the book anything like that?

Analysis of my situation in the navy: Everyone is judged by their problem solving abilities, regardless of social/rank status. Very Trekkian.
Analysis of my situation in civilian life: Everyone is judged by their social/rank status.

pps. I also had about a thousand other thoughts. Most of which involved me thinking about how "adolescent" of a species we still are.

Likes fresh_42
OmCheeto said:
pps. I also had about a thousand other thoughts. Most of which involved me thinking about how "adolescent" of a species we still are.
My favorite measure to distinguish the two:
"Whose fault was it?"
in contrast to
"Any proposals how to solve it?"

I think the main reason why Star Trek works is, because it's based on how we want to be (morals, adventures, economics) rather than what we are.

Likes davenn and OmCheeto
fresh_42 said:
...what we are.
Fallible.

Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge of error and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible. In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

Ugh. I think we are going off topic again.

It seems Bureaucratic mentality is common in SciFi so we simply must mention the hilarious Hitchiker's Guide Vogons which is a terrific book and a rather decent film. I nearly needed my towel to dry the tears from laughing so hard.

the original star trek will always be my fav, but next generation ain't bad. I didn't really keep up with deep space one and voyager like I did with the original.

I don't know about you but I consider myself a combination of kirk, spock, McCoy, scotty, piccard, data, and ricardo montebon in the original episode when he trys to take the ship, what a man! lol

My first Star Trek was Voyager so there is special place for him. Now I am on Next Generation, love their sense of humor.

I may have already answered the base question but just in case I didn't and since I feel very strongly about this although I started out with Original Star Trek (yeah... I'm old :) ) and enjoyed it's depth of layers that circumvented commercial compromises to a degree, hands down the fullest and most satisfying Star Trek series came from Gene Rodenberry when he finally became a "rock star" who could dictate terms and fully realize his vision and that was without a doubt The Next Generation. IMHO none of the others even comes close.

enorbet said:
I may have already answered the base question but just in case I didn't and since I feel very strongly about this although I started out with Original Star Trek (yeah... I'm old :) ) and enjoyed it's depth of layers that circumvented commercial compromises to a degree, hands down the fullest and most satisfying Star Trek series came from Gene Rodenberry when he finally became a "rock star" who could dictate terms and fully realize his vision and that was without a doubt The Next Generation. IMHO none of the others even comes close.

Huh, I'd heard the opposite. That a lot of the problems with TNGs early seasons were Rodenberry's overbearing control, such as his demand that there be no interpersonal disagreements between starfleet characters or situations where he had to be talked out of overly sexualising certain characters. IIRC this was talked about in the documentary trouble on the bridge.

Likes fresh_42
Hello ryan_m_b, nice to "meet" you. Of course since i wasn't there and any personal accounts of experiences are colored by personal POV all I can resort to is "proof is in the pudding". Let's start with the easy one, sexualizing characters. Some level of that is almost always going to exist on any dramatic TV series since humans are sexual creatures and also posses an intellect capable of understanding that Sex Sells, in fact the Big Three of requirements in novels of any kind are Sex, Money and Murder. There was some sexualization in Original Star Trek and by my judgement about the same level in TNG. That level seemed to drop a bit under Gene's son who was a strong force on Deep Space 9 but popped back up for Voyager and Enterprise.

Conclusion: While there has been some fluctuation in sexuality in the overall series I don't see any huge leaps and never found any of the series (even ones I either liked a lot more or a lot less) overly dependent on sexuality especially considering their living conditions.

As far as interpersonal conflict that too seems a fairly flat line especially in the TV series. There too we have the record as best evidence of any thematic change. It is highly worthy of note that Gene died in October of 1991 and TNG aired new episodes for three more years. I was actually a bit shocked to read and recognize those dates since for some reason it never hit me back then and part of that is from the fact that there was so little change in what appeared before and after Gene's death.

My assertion regarding Gene's vision reaching fruition on TNG has to do with his view of Political and Social norms of the future where cheap energy and advanced technology has essentially eliminated poverty, lack of opportunity especially in education, and thos xenophobia still exists in Gene's vision of the future racism and sexism among Homo Sapiens has all but disappeared and while some people are still "shoot first and ask questions later" there is a quantum leap in the baseline desire for collaboration and negotiation. To me those are the hallmarks of what Star Trek was all about, it's most important and valuable contribution instead of the far more common "Cowboys and Indians in space".

Likes Voq
Grrrrrr For some reason the edit button is failing repeatedly so rather than continuing to beat my head against a brick wall I'll just amend it here.

The last sentence in the 3rd paragraph should have been clearer and more specific, reading "... so little change in TNG compared by before and after Gene's death,

Additionally while that could be interpreted as Gene having very little control my conclusion is that regardless of control his influence was long-lasting and pervasive and every account I've ever read speaks about Gene's vision that universally cheap energy is the key to such an enlightened and productive society, a quantum leap for humankind required to survive technology advances that threaten extinction.

Grrrrrr For some reason the edit button is failing repeatedly so rather than continuing to beat my head against a brick wall I'll just amend it here.

The last sentence in the 3rd paragraph should have been clearer and more specific, reading "... so little change in TNG compared by before and after Gene's death,

Additionally while that could be interpreted as Gene having very little control my conclusion is that regardless of control his influence was long-lasting and pervasive and every account I've ever read speaks about Gene's vision that universally cheap energy is the key to such an enlightened and productive society, a quantum leap for humankind required to survive technology advances that threaten extinction.

enorbet said:
My assertion regarding Gene's vision reaching fruition on TNG has to do with his view of Political and Social norms of the future where cheap energy and advanced technology has essentially eliminated poverty, lack of opportunity especially in education, and thos xenophobia still exists in Gene's vision of the future racism and sexism among Homo Sapiens has all but disappeared and while some people are still "shoot first and ask questions later" there is a quantum leap in the baseline desire for collaboration and negotiation. To me those are the hallmarks of what Star Trek was all about, it's most important and valuable contribution instead of the far more common "Cowboys and Indians in space".

It is the most valuable part of it. Philosophies and humanity behind decisions governing their actions. That is why they got there in my opinion. And this new Star Trek is something different..I don't even want to analyse it.
Cheap energy with eliminated poverty would be a big step for sure.

Although I voted for TNG, the original series does have the honour, so I believe, of there being the first ever TV scene which portrayed interacial romance.
I think Kirk was getting a bit frisky with Uhuru or something like that,

rootone said:
Although I voted for TNG, the original series does have the honour, so I believe, of there being the first ever TV scene which portrayed interacial romance.
I think Kirk was getting a bit frisky with Uhuru or something like that,
I've read somewhere that they wanted to cut the scene, but Shatner tricked them by delaying the scene to the very last moment which left them with no time to cut it. Don't know whether it is true, but it fits to the spirit. And what's most important, it influenced us as children and we saw that equality isn't just a word. Even the constant mocking of Nimoy by Kelley can be seen as an insurance against negative discrimination.

Likes Ryan_m_b

i liked all of them except Voyager. i really liked Enterprise though. the theme song was particularly inspiring.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
First one for me - I used to jump behind the settee when the music came on

I see I voted on this a while ago. I used to care. The problem now is I can't watch Star Trek any more. In fact I can't stand to watch any science fiction any more. Has anyone else lost their interest in the genre because they have become such a science brain that they can't enjoy fantasy any more?

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I see I voted on this a while ago. I used to care. The problem now is I can't watch Star Trek any more. In fact I can't stand to watch any science fiction any more. Has anyone else lost their interest in the genre because they have become such a science brain that they can't enjoy fantasy any more?
I have more objections against news magazines and pop science shows. If I watch a sci-fi show then I will expect to be entertained, not taught. I'm amused by the Heisenberg compensators in the transporter set-up, because the HUP could indeed become a problem. I do not expect a scientific explanation for something which cannot be explained. That's the point where I developed animosities towards news and pop science shows: they do pretend as if it were explanations what they say, and they rarely can deliver, neither of them.

I remember many years ago when we were out and decided to watch a movie. We couldn't really agree on a film and ended up in Spielberg's Hook. One girl complained the entire movie how poor and predictable the story was. That's the point: you will not expect a high quality story and movie if you're going to watch a Peter Pan adaption. I sometimes have problems with shows where their material losses are regularly much heavier than could be restored within the time given, e.g. Andromeda or Voyager. That's more a matter of basic algebra than a matter of background or genre. It simply doesn't match up if you nearly destroy the entire ship week by week, and will go on fully equipped in the next episode. But I'm not surprised that the universe appears pretty crowded whereas in reality I think it is not.

However, if I hear for the hundredth time about pairs of particles to explain Hawking radiation in a documentation, and read here almost weekly, that this is nonsense, then I get angry. And if politicians of any kind try to explain a situation and a necessary consequence, while they obviously leave out 90% of the facts, then it makes me feel sick, because the reason to watch them is information. The reason to watch sci-fi is entertainment.

Likes jim hardy, Imager, Aufbauwerk 2045 and 2 others