Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your favourite coffee?

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    It doesn't matter if it comes in the form of whole beans, ground beans, or instant coffee. What is your favourite coffee? Briefly describe what makes it so good :biggrin:.

I have been drinking nescafe taster's choice for quite a while now and it is probably one of the best instant coffees(imo), but I just bought a coffee machine so I am gonna switch to drip coffee.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Folger's Original Roast with Cream, no sugar. I like coffee to be bitter and creamy, not sweet though. (Some people I know think I'm crazy for drinking coffee without sugar.)

4. May 9, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

We still get our coffee from our favorite place in the Village in Manhattan, Porto Rico Importng. It's their house blend. It's a American roast so it's not too dark, but it has just a ton of flavor and is not bitter at all. Yum. The describe it as:

I actually have 20 Lbm of it on the way as we speak. That is one thing I do miss about living in NY.

5. May 9, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Black, unsweetened espresso made from Chock Full 'o Nuts regular grind. I traded in some unused air miles for an espresso maker a few years ago and I have a big mug of espresso every morning. It blasts that superheated water through the grounds so fast, there is no time for it for it to pick up a bitter or acidic taste. BTW, that is pretty cheap coffee - you don't have to buy pricey blends to make good coffee.

6. May 9, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We grind Millstone French Roast.

7. May 9, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Intravenous. :biggrin: jk

I'll drink just about anything - even the sludge at the bottom of the pot.

My consumption varies, but it's probably two, three or four liters/day sometimes.

An my wife complains that I'm spiking it when I add cocoa (plain or raspberry) mix to it.

I use a rather large mug at home, so I usually knock of 1.5-2 liters at breakfast.

I like to put vanilla ice cream, honey and nutmeg powder in the mug and pour the coffee over that - or just coffee w/ cocoa mix. :biggrin:

I used to drink Seaport, which is an especially strong coffee.

8. May 9, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

we brew espresso/capuccino at home from dancing goats beans. at work we have a lavazza espresso machine. at our sons house in the bay area we drink Peets. a well equipped coffee room is the most important feature of a math department, as thats where most of the best conversations take place.

oh description: peets ahs so much flavor, you can even brew the same grounds twice, unpalatable as that sounds. lavaza is the premium italian coffee used in Italy. Dancing goats, house blend from espresso royale in athens is a nice rich dark blend, but its the espresso machine that makes the difference. We bought one a few years ago from starbucks and have never bought another cup of their dreck.

we paid $300 and it didn't work right, so took it back and tried some cheaper ones. but by then we were hooked on the good stuff, and it turned out the gaskets were just not quite set in right, so we got another $300 one, and never looked back. we are on our second one now.

instant coffee? [guffaw, chortle.]

9. May 9, 2007 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

now how do all those exotic coffee ads find this page? or is this a product placement thread?

10. May 9, 2007 #9
    Google uses keywords from the thread to generate the ads.

As for coffee, I don't drink the stuff :tongue2:

11. May 9, 2007 #10

Astronuc

forgot the :yuck:

12. May 9, 2007 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

then why didn't tasters choice and other schlock make itaa/ did the
    y just assume we were gourmet coffee drinkers?

13. May 9, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Do we have a smilie with a more disgusted expression? I don't even want Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, or Tim Horton coffees anymore. My home-made espresso is too good. Instant is out of the question. My wife used to keep a little around the house to "perk up" her brownies with a mocha flavor, but that's all it ever got used for.

14. May 9, 2007 #13
    My favorite is: Don Francisco's cinnamon Hazelnut.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/1/29/102949.shtml

I am starting to suspect that Mac Dees adds a secret ingredient to their coffee. Sort of like when it was discovered that they added sugar to their french fries.:yuck:

15. May 9, 2007 #14
    Illy Espresso, made with a proper Bialetti coffee maker. Or if I am in the mood Cafe Hellinica (glykys)

16. May 9, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

McDees had announced that they were going to start selling high quality coffee; and it makes sense because $5.00 a cup certainly doesn't. It may be nothing more than a free market doing its job. Does anyone really think their coffee is worth 3.50 to 5.00 a cup in a competitive market?

I never would have predicted that people would pay what they do for a cup of Joe.

However, in my experience Consumer's Reports is full of it. I never trust what they say anymore.

17. May 9, 2007 #16

Evo

McDonald's is my favorite coffee.

18. May 9, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like Starbuck's Italian Roast, brewed at home, not by them. It's a strong, dark roast, but not bitter or burnt tasting like a lot of dark roasts commonly available.

My former favorite was Millstone's Bed and Breakfast Blend, but I can't get that in the stores around here :frown: so that prompted me to switch to Starbucks (the other brands here are offered either in too light of roasts or are burnt tasting). The Bed and Breakfast Blend was also a dark roast and not bitter (it's quite different from their Breakfast Blend).

But, if you're switching from instant, all of these will taste too strong to you.

19. May 9, 2007 #18
    Dark, smooth, strong and rich ...like my man:wink:

20. May 9, 2007 #19

Evo

My man (who insists he's not my man - pfffft, right :wink: ) is thin, light, rather sharp and sour at times, obviously he would not be good to drink. :yuck:

21. May 9, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe you could use him to pickle cucumbers. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?