Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your greatest achievement in physics?

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    What personal contribution to the field of physics are you most proud of?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2
    Ive solved PIE one time. But damn it anyway, forgot it when i went to tell someone. :tongue2:
  4. Nov 11, 2004 #3
    forgive my ignorance -what is PIE?
  5. Nov 11, 2004 #4
  6. Nov 14, 2004 #5
    My greatest achievement is to teach and inspire students, far brighter than me, who then go on to study Physics at a high level at some of the UKs top Universities.

I wish I was as bright as some of the pupils I have taught...... :cry:
  7. Nov 14, 2004 #6
    That's one of my hopes, Adrian.
  8. Nov 15, 2004 #7
    I love physics.
  9. Nov 16, 2004 #8
    I was pretty happy when i understood F=MA :rofl: :wink:
  10. Nov 16, 2004 #9
    Is solving Venus physics too?
  11. Nov 16, 2004 #10

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

1] Teaching the willing how to tell the difference between fact and fantasy.
    2] Explaining the difference to the unwilling... and occasionally suceeding.
    3] Creating algorithm for solving Pi to an unlimited number of decimal places - unfortunately it required unlimited computer memory.
    4] Proving the law of gravity to my childhood companions by leaping from the porch while wearing a red cape.
  12. Nov 16, 2004 #11
    Finding a workable method for understanding the fundamentals of existence.
  13. Nov 16, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Passing Dr. Gardners Theromdynamics class.
  14. Nov 16, 2004 #13
    I found that if you square the number 2.5499146, then square the result of that, then square that result, you have four interesting numbers.
    Add the largest three, and you have proton mass in electron masses.
    Add the starting number and you have neutron mass in electron masses.

The results match measured values to within about .004 MeV.

I was looking into an old idea of Robert Holfstadter of Stanton who won the Nobel Prize
    for work in hadronic spectra analysis. He proposed a shell structure for the proton and neutron. As far as I know he never published the idea bacause it didn't square with QED. I found out about this from Azimov's publications.

Shell 1 mass is 2.5499146 Electron masses
    Shell 2 mass is 6.50206446729316 Electron masses
    Shell 3 mass is 42.2768423368363 Electron masses
    Shell 4 mass is 1787.33139797371 Electron masses
  15. Nov 16, 2004 #14
    Sounds like the atomic series (Balmer, Paschen, Brackett or Pfund), where atomic electron ionization energy equals the Rydberg constant over a natural number (1, 2, 3, or 4) squared.
  16. Nov 17, 2004 #15
    I have built a Goldberg machine that makes a ham sandwich and puts it into a lunch bag with no electric, and no outside forces. I'm pretty proud of myself. (is it obvious?) Oh, and I did this on my own, with no help.
  17. Nov 17, 2004 #16

I do not know if you count electronics as physics (I do ) , but I once had the priviledge of holding up the whole of the Jakarta satellite communication system whilst Me and a partner developed a key ( and missing) piece of equipment - which after a few disasters worked -- for which Hughes Aircrcraft flew us out by private jet to Catalina Island for Buffalo burgers -- a burger never tasted so good .
    Also my advice do not go to Catalina by jet -- the runway is awful short and braketed by cliffs at both ends -- you may not be able to eat lunch. !!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  18. Nov 18, 2004 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Totally serious here (which is perhaps sad): I came up with a mnemonic so my students can remember the regions of the electromagnetic spectrum in order of increasing frequency.

It features a story involving this totally sick skateboarder named Mike who gets all excited when he hears the x-games are coming to a nearby city, and this year they are gonna be harsh! Tickets are all sold out so he's bummed. THen his friend comes up and says that he got two ticket and Mike is psyched. But dude, "I'm taking my girlfriend" says his friend and Mike is again bummed out. (The story is not really important, but here's the moral):

Radical Mike inferred he could see the ultraviolent x games. (see it?)
    radio micro infrared visible UV X gamma

Well, I do what I can.
  19. Nov 21, 2004 #18
    Finding and identifying the relevant characteristics defined by a line with the following dimensional values:

Line = 47.713 cm
    Angle= 26.2540 degrees from horizontal

I did the basic trig and found the vertical leg was 21.106 cm, an interesting number. I then used the wavelength formula on both the hypotenuse and vertical values to extract the frequency related to the lengths.

[tex]f = \frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex]

I knew what the vertical leg would be (1420.4 MHz), and the hypotenuse turned out to be a multiple of 2 pi radians (628.31 MHz).

I found a matrix equation set could define the cosecant characteristics of the triangle, which indicated that our unit of time, the second, could be defined mathematically as the function of an angle when the vertical leg is a constant, a unique constant, the wavelength of the precession emission of neutral hydrogen.

f_1 &= \omega_f \times z \quad & \lambda_H = \frac{c}{f_1}
    f_2 &=\omega_f \times y \quad & \lambda_2 &= \frac{c}{f_2}
    \lambda_3 &= \lambda_H \times z \quad & f_3 &= \frac{c}{\lambda_3}
    \lambda_4 &= \lambda_H \times y \quad & f_4 &= \frac{c}{\lambda_4}
    [tex]y &= 1[/tex]
    [tex]z &= 2.260645[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_f &= 6.2381 (10^6)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda_H &= 21.10611[/tex]
    [tex]c &= 29979.2458 (10^6)[/tex]
    Alternately, you can substitute the angle for z.
    [tex]z &= \csc(\alpha)[/tex]
    Where the angle equals 26.25400 degrees.
    The equations can be solved as 2x2 sets, where (1) & (4) are a set, and (2) & (3) are a set, or as a 4x4 set.
    The results are numerically mirrored but with a times 100 difference. I extended the precision for my calculations, but the values shown illustrate the characteristics of the equation sets.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  20. Nov 21, 2004 #19
    I can't say I've had many achievements seeing as I'm going through my first basic kinematics course but three things come to mind-
    1. Getting my HAM liscence at 16 without any outside help.
    2. Doing some nice stuff with a quasar's spectra that almost got me as a coauthor in a published paper.
    3. Getting replies from people reading physics/ astronomy/ general science articles I've written saying "you got me interested in a field I never thought I would be interested in!" Something like that undoubtedly is one of my greatest achievements!
  21. Nov 21, 2004 #20
    Worked for the Office of Fusion Energy compiling project summaries of research around the world, 1978. Got mostly "excellent" evaluations. There assisted physicists, mostly with Q clearances, during that summer after my freshman year at Yale.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?