Fear of Aging: The Greatest Fear of Many Scientists

• Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around fears and what people are most afraid of. Some mentioned fears include death, being buried alive, being burned or mutilated, spiders, chimpanzees, boa constrictors, ants, maggots, fear itself, intimacy, falling from a great height, freezing to death, and aging. Some also mentioned the fear of losing loved ones and watching their own body deteriorate. However, one person seems to have overcome their fears and another claims to fear nothing.
evthis
What fears you the most? What are you most afraid of? What other things are you afraid of that come close to you worst fear?

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, death maybe... Also, being buried alive, burned in a fire, mutilated, stuff like that...

I'm afraid of nothing. :)

Spiders

Walking with their knees above their head, who wouldn't be :uhh:

Oh dear me...what are we going to do with you? :tongue2:

Being ripped to pieces by a chimpanzee.

Being eaten alive by a boa constrictor.

I'm generally scared of certain things, but I have the ability to overcome it and live.

I'm afriad of ants, getting stuck in my clothing or jewelry, and when people look at me and i don't know why, mostly ants though.

Maggots.. ewww.

fear itself!

I hate spiders, worms... Also when certain people look at me...

intimacy ... that's a doozy!

I hate the blackened earth.

Falling through air without a parachute from a great height.

If I had to pick a way to die, I might choose death by freezing. Just a slipping away, some pretty colors due to oxygen deprivation, and darkness. But the other way I might choose to die is by falling. From a great height, many miles, to the ground. There could be no more glorious end.

Bartholomew said:
... But the other way I might choose to die is by falling. From a great height, many miles, to the ground. There could be no more glorious end.
The remaining people on the ground who were left alive may not call the remains very glorious. :yuck:

The view as you fall would be glorious.

And in the knowledge that those are the last moments--glorious tenfold.

our sun going super nova.

mapper said:
our sun going super nova.

Or a missile shot from space. :grumpy:

Human potential, because of this I have to learn :rofl:

The only thing I really fear is aging and getting old. And I fear it a great deal.

Its not death I fear--I just fear watching my life and everyone around me fall apart slowly but surely. Watching all the people in my life die, and day by day I can no longer do certain things to the point my body deteriorates and I'm not as mentally quick.

I'd rather die before that happens. (within reason... I'm talking like around age 50-60)

1. What is your greatest fear?

My greatest fear is losing the people I love and being alone.

2. How do you cope with your fear?

I cope with my fear by reminding myself that I am strong and capable of handling any challenge that comes my way. I also turn to my support system for comfort and reassurance.

3. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

Fortunately, my greatest fear has not come true. However, there have been times when I have felt moments of fear and uncertainty, but I have learned to face them head on and overcome them.

4. Can fear be a positive thing?

Yes, fear can be a positive thing. It can serve as a warning sign or a motivator to push us out of our comfort zones and achieve our goals. It can also help us develop resilience and strength.

5. How can we overcome our fears?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to overcoming fears, but some strategies that may help include facing the fear head on, seeking support from loved ones, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, and seeking professional help if needed.