What's Your Homepage? Find Out What Others Use

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary: Opera but have been considering changing.It opens google, which I think is one of the websites that loads the fastest. Usually when I open the browser I instantly open a few tabs with my bookmarks.Chrome is ok, but there are some things that don't work (most video, such as youtube). But it's fast enough for me.I use google/yahoo, but recently have been playing around with Microsoft's bing. It runs fast, and it's nice and flashy.I also see delays in the chrome response. It load the page different way so you see a blank page for like few micro-seconds to seconds which is bit annoying. During that time, you don't
waht
Just curious, to what website are you directed when you open up your favorite browser?

Physics news on Phys.org
a page I made that is a list of the most commonly visited sites for me.

google

I recently started using Chrome. It uses something similar to what Insanity said, a page that features snapshots of my most frequented sites.

Oddly, it doesn't list PhysicsForums or Google, which are certainly my #1 and #2, respectively. Wonder why that is...:confused:.

GOOGLE!

I use either firefox bookmarks or google to go to every website.

lisab said:
I recently started using Chrome. It uses something similar to what Insanity said, a page that features snapshots of my most frequented sites.

Oddly, it doesn't list PhysicsForums or Google, which are certainly my #1 and #2, respectively. Wonder why that is...:confused:.

How is chrome? I have always used Opera but have been considering changing.

It opens google, which I think is one of the websites that loads the fastest. Usually when I open the browser I instantly open a few tabs with my bookmarks.
Once I tried using another homepage, but I prefer the almost instant loading of google.

TheStatutoryApe said:
How is chrome? I have always used Opera but have been considering changing.

Like Sakha says, it makes google apps work lightning fast. But lots of things don't work (most video, such as youtube). So, I'd give it a mixed-to-negative review...but I use it when I use google apps.

Google on my desktop, Yahoo on my laptop, and a proprietary site at work.

sympatico msn on desktop... google on laptop NOW. It was this website askmen.com which was freakin amazing :P

Looks like the majority have google. I use google/yahoo, but recently have been playing around with Microsoft's bing. It runs fast, and it's nice and flashy.

lisab said:
Like Sakha says, it makes google apps work lightning fast. But lots of things don't work (most video, such as youtube). So, I'd give it a mixed-to-negative review...but I use it when I use google apps.

I also see delays in the chrome response. It load the page different way so you see a blank page for like few micro-seconds to seconds which is bit annoying. During that time, you don't know if it has started loading the page or just doing nothing. I can run youtube videos in it, but lately (for few months now) I am having issues with youtube videos on windows xp maybe due to some memory leaks, my computer gets really really slow after I play youtube for few minutes.

Google.com. It's the one page that consistently loads instantly. I can do a quick search or navigate to anywhere else I need in half a second through it. Almost as fast as it would take me to use my bookmarks.

Just installed Chrome. No problems that I can tell so far with any video. Not being able to see my tabs is a bit annoying, I'm sure I can find a way to fix that though (I hope).

Edit: the 're-open closed tab' option is great.

Firefox's Google.

Google news. I used to have other sites, but they would get bogged down. A lot of people at work have the intranet main page as their homepages, but since I have a laptop, that doesn't work for me from home. Besides, I really only need to see the list of daily seminars and cafeteria menu once a day. At least the news gets updated throughout the day.

I use opera and open to a blank page. The browser opens faster, then I have a list of quick launch buttons for my most visited sites.

CINA said:
I use opera and open to a blank page. The browser opens faster, then I have a list of quick launch buttons for my most visited sites.

I used to do that too but I've noticed that google as your homepage opens just as fast :p

Google.ca

Oddly, it doesn't list PhysicsForums or Google, which are certainly my #1 and #2, respectively. Wonder why that is...

Maybe you have mistakenly removed them?

At the bottom of that starting page there is a link/button named "Remove a thumbnail", click on it, then click on "Restore all removed thumbnails". I hope this solves it.

IE8: about:blank
Firefox: (nothing)
Chrome: The original homepage.

Actually no need to open Google as a homepage, IE8 has a search bar, so does Firefox; and in Chrome search works through navigation bar itself.

wajed said:
IE8: about:blank
Firefox: (nothing)
Chrome: The original homepage.

Actually no need to open Google as a homepage, IE8 has a search bar, so does Firefox; and in Chrome search works through navigation bar itself.

I've always noticed that. When I open the internet on my laptop even though google is my homepage I never use it. I always find myself going to the search bar lol. Actually I use that search bar + the tabs function so much it's rediculous. Checking up things etc. I just never changed the firefox default webpage from google and I used google on IE because it was faster

yahoo.com

Physorg

Greg Bernhardt said:
ya'll are really missing out on some brownie points right now :biggrin:

lol... I have PF on 'Speed Dial' for Opera. ;-)

Google!
You know changing the homepage to google s always the 1st thing I do when I work with other computers:biggrin:

Lisa! said:
Google!
You know changing the homepage to google s always the 1st thing I do when I work with other computers:biggrin:

Not Yahoo!? ;-p

TheStatutoryApe said:
Not Yahoo!? ;-p

Yahoo as homepage?:yuck:
Oh I have to admit that I prefer yahoo email to gmail:cool:

I have firefox set to restore the previous state, so it's a different page every time. My nominal start page (in firefox settings) is the sky and telescope (magazine) site.

Last edited:
"Nyt.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
ya'll are really missing out on some brownie points right now :biggrin:

How's this to up my brown nose points :rolleyes:

pfOmCheetos10mostvisitedsites.jpg

Chrome thumbnails of my most-visited sites. Chrome is fast with low overhead which is pretty nice for those of us with what passes for "broad-band" connections out in the boonies. When I'd use IE or FF to enter PF FlashChat, I was always getting booted out. Connections with Chrome are stable, and I never get booted. I don't know if there are latency issues with slower connections that cause all the boots, but Chrome fixed them. Be sure to go to the options and tell Chrome to prompt you before saving any downloads, so you won't get loaded up with stuff that you only want to look at once and move along.

FF is really flexible with all its plug-ins, but all that utility comes at a cost.

<h2>1. What is a homepage?</h2><p>A homepage is the main or starting page of a website. It is the first page that appears when you visit a website and typically contains links to other pages within the website.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to know what others use as their homepage?</h2><p>Knowing what others use as their homepage can provide insight into popular websites and trends. It can also help you discover new websites and resources that you may not have known about before.</p><h2>3. How can I find out what others use as their homepage?</h2><p>You can find out what others use as their homepage by simply asking them or conducting a survey. You can also browse online forums and discussions to see what websites people frequently mention or recommend.</p><h2>4. Is it necessary to have a homepage?</h2><p>No, it is not necessary to have a homepage. Some websites may choose to have a different landing page or may not have a designated homepage at all. However, having a clear and organized homepage can make it easier for users to navigate and access the content on a website.</p><h2>5. Can I change my homepage?</h2><p>Yes, you can change your homepage. Most web browsers allow you to customize your homepage to your preferred website. You can also change your homepage by simply typing in a different URL or by setting a new homepage in your browser's settings.</p>

1. What is a homepage?

A homepage is the main or starting page of a website. It is the first page that appears when you visit a website and typically contains links to other pages within the website.

2. Why is it important to know what others use as their homepage?

Knowing what others use as their homepage can provide insight into popular websites and trends. It can also help you discover new websites and resources that you may not have known about before.

3. How can I find out what others use as their homepage?

You can find out what others use as their homepage by simply asking them or conducting a survey. You can also browse online forums and discussions to see what websites people frequently mention or recommend.

4. Is it necessary to have a homepage?

No, it is not necessary to have a homepage. Some websites may choose to have a different landing page or may not have a designated homepage at all. However, having a clear and organized homepage can make it easier for users to navigate and access the content on a website.

5. Can I change my homepage?

Yes, you can change your homepage. Most web browsers allow you to customize your homepage to your preferred website. You can also change your homepage by simply typing in a different URL or by setting a new homepage in your browser's settings.