Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your homepage?

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    Just curious, to what website are you directed when you open up your favorite browser?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    a page I made that is a list of the most commonly visited sites for me.

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    google

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently started using Chrome. It uses something similar to what Insanity said, a page that features snapshots of my most frequented sites.

Oddly, it doesn't list PhysicsForums or Google, which are certainly my #1 and #2, respectively. Wonder why that is...:confused:.

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    GOOGLE!

I use either firefox bookmarks or google to go to every website.

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6
    How is chrome? I have always used Opera but have been considering changing.

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7
    It opens google, which I think is one of the websites that loads the fastest. Usually when I open the browser I instantly open a few tabs with my bookmarks.
    Once I tried using another homepage, but I prefer the almost instant loading of google.

9. Sep 23, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like Sakha says, it makes google apps work lightning fast. But lots of things don't work (most video, such as youtube). So, I'd give it a mixed-to-negative review...but I use it when I use google apps.

10. Sep 23, 2009 #9
    Google on my desktop, Yahoo on my laptop, and a proprietary site at work.

11. Sep 23, 2009 #10
    sympatico msn on desktop... google on laptop NOW. It was this website askmen.com which was freakin amazing :P

12. Sep 23, 2009 #11
    Looks like the majority have google. I use google/yahoo, but recently have been playing around with Microsoft's bing. It runs fast, and it's nice and flashy.

13. Sep 23, 2009 #12
    I also see delays in the chrome response. It load the page different way so you see a blank page for like few micro-seconds to seconds which is bit annoying. During that time, you don't know if it has started loading the page or just doing nothing. I can run youtube videos in it, but lately (for few months now) I am having issues with youtube videos on windows xp maybe due to some memory leaks, my computer gets really really slow after I play youtube for few minutes.

14. Sep 23, 2009 #13
    Google.com. It's the one page that consistently loads instantly. I can do a quick search or navigate to anywhere else I need in half a second through it. Almost as fast as it would take me to use my bookmarks.

15. Sep 23, 2009 #14
    Just installed Chrome. No problems that I can tell so far with any video. Not being able to see my tabs is a bit annoying, I'm sure I can find a way to fix that though (I hope).

Edit: the 're-open closed tab' option is great.

16. Sep 23, 2009 #15
    Firefox's Google.

17. Sep 24, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google news. I used to have other sites, but they would get bogged down. A lot of people at work have the intranet main page as their homepages, but since I have a laptop, that doesn't work for me from home. Besides, I really only need to see the list of daily seminars and cafeteria menu once a day. At least the news gets updated throughout the day.

18. Sep 24, 2009 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

19. Sep 24, 2009 #18
    I use opera and open to a blank page. The browser opens faster, then I have a list of quick launch buttons for my most visited sites.

20. Sep 24, 2009 #19
    I used to do that too but i've noticed that google as your homepage opens just as fast :p

21. Sep 24, 2009 #20

Maroc

Gold Member

Google.ca

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook