Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your IQ?

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    I'd be interested in seeing what your career is and your IQ. I'd also like your general thoughts on IQ and engineering, and do you think you need an IQ of 120 + to become a successful engineer?

Also this IQ test, which I'm sure doesn't have too much validity to it, but it's fun!

http://www.iq-test.com/free-iq-test/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

First, very few people have actually been administered IQ tests, the online games are not IQ tests and they do not count. IQ is not a predictor of how well someone will function in a particular field. You do know that the different types of engineers vary greatly?

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

High enough to know that that is a fairly useless question. Scoring high on an IQ test basically shows that you have the kind of mind that scores high on an IQ test, not anything else.

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4
    IQ tests are primarily of use to therapists to categorize the mrdd population.

I don't believe IQ scores correlate well with imagination, creativity, etc. and STEM people shouldn't use them to compare each other.

6. Sep 13, 2013 #5
    [itex]\pm\infty[/itex] of course. What kind of low IQ question is that?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. Sep 13, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. Sep 13, 2013 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Sep 13, 2013 #8
    Last week I went to a job test in which I had to take an IQ& Critical thinking skill test. The IQ test included math reasoning skills. It was very hard. Your link to IQ test displays all completely easy problems. The CT test I took included reading and judging skills. I read a long statement and was given multiple choices and asked to pick up the one that was sufficient or insufficient to perform some action said in the statement. The only thing that annoyed me was that the receptionist who collected my paper and scanned my replies in the tests laughed at me for my bad scores. 30 min to work with 25 iq hard iq & 25 long ct questions.

10. Sep 13, 2013 #9
    It looks like medical doctors are smarter than engineers. In fact, medical doctors are smarter than everyone.

11. Sep 13, 2013 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but that's only if you ask THEM.

12. Sep 13, 2013 #11
    You're right! If you scroll down and read the fine print it says, "This site sponsored by the American Medical Association."

13. Sep 13, 2013 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have an IQ of 161*, and I don't see rocket scientist on the list. I must be a closet rocket scientist.

---------------------
    * I know this for a fact. On my last science forum was a member who I considered just a tiny bit smarter than I. One day I asked him what his IQ was. He said 162.

14. Sep 14, 2013 #13

jhae2.718

Gold Member

15,747,724,136,275,002,577,605,653,961,181,555,468,044,717,914,527,116,709,366,231,425,076,185,631,031,296

15. Sep 14, 2013 #14

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

16. Sep 14, 2013 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I've done brain surgery (neurosurgery). Believe me, it's not brain surgery. :tongue:

I like Evo's cute little muddled metaphor "rocket surgery". Always makes me laugh. :biggrin:

17. Sep 14, 2013 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a basic fact. I have been a member of the American Physical Society, and also have participated in survey done by the American Institute of Physics. In all those years, the AIP have survey a lot of things (one can look at the statistics report at the AIP page). However, there has NEVER, EVER been a survey or a question asking for IQ scores or number.

Now, this is purely a guess, but I tend to expect that other professional organizations (engineering, etc.) also may not have ever surveyed the IQs of their members. This brings me to two conclusions:

1. Whatever this IQ score is, it is of no relevance, or of little importance, to such professions. So why do we give even a second of our time on this?

2. Any reports comparing IQs of different professions may be based on faulty, non-representative data. After all, if these organizations that represents these professions do not have such data, just how many were used in the survey to arrive at any conclusion?

Zz.

18. Sep 14, 2013 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

(much like my intellectual height, the above message was too short)

19. Sep 14, 2013 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

No worries, Pyth, even a super genius would not meet the minimum character requirement :biggrin:.

20. Sep 14, 2013 #19

Curious3141

Homework Helper

It's not just the raw numbers. The sampling method also makes a huge difference, although I suspect you already know this.

Population-based surveys purporting to study IQ are fraught with major methodological issues that often invalidate or at least, greatly weaken, the results arising from them. It's a great pity that these deeply flawed studies have been used, and continue to be used, as a "scientific" basis for racial discrimination.

21. Sep 14, 2013 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:thumbs: :rofl:

A couple of things about the list:
    1. Where is bouncer? Isn't the smartest man in the world a bouncer? I think bouncers should be surveyed.
    2. What is it about running Fire Sales that takes so much brains?

pf.fire.salemen.are.smart.jpg

I've actually never been to a fire sale. Has anyone ever been to a fire sale? Did the salesperson seem smart? I suppose they'd have to be smart, to talk people into buying goods that are burned, or smell funny.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook