28 vote(s)
    38.4%
  8. Social Science

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. None of the Above

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. I tried to find a poll like this but I failed. So I *suppose* it has never been done before.

If I left your field out, I apologize.

Choices are, in alphabetical order:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Computer Science
    Engineering
    Mathematics
    Other Natural Sciences
    Physics
    Social Science

and of course, none of the above.

I think that covers most of us.

2. jcsd
  3. George Jones

George Jones 6,481
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physics.

Then, for some here, your group isn't big enough, and none of the possibilities will ring true.

4. I'm really interested to find out what those people do. But when I was making the poll I was doubting that there was any "none of the above" person here.

5. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Some people's work may span two or more disciplines, e.g. math/physics, or engineering/physics.

An example of three disciplines might be chemistry/physics/engineering for someone working in fundamental research in corrosion, particularly in corrosion in radiation environments.

6. That's true and I considered enabling multiple selection, but I was afraid it might be "wrong" statistics because then number of votes won't be number of people voted.

7. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I voted physics, but would class myself as more maths/physics.

8. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

George was making a funny. I guess he expected that someone into knots might have come across groups and rings in their field of study.

9. Yes, I eventually got it. The first time I really didn't know what he was saying, but eventually... yes, eventually. :wink:

10. But why "ring" ? I mean, the term "group" may somehow make sense, at least it is vague enough, but what suggests the term "ring" as being relevant to the "ring" structure ? I never got it frankly. It's the exact same term in french and does not make any more sense. As for "field" (algebraic), in french it's called a "body", and again, I don't see how that should be suggestive of the algebraic structure thus named.

11. I'm in experimental high energy astrophysics. On the side, I also try and think of shorter names for my discipline.

12. Well Z does look like a ring and Q does look like a field... what I don't get is "group".

or is that my overactive imagination??? :uhh:

13. :rofl:
    I have to little imagination to be a mathematician then, it's that simple.

14. Evo

I'm "none of the above" I'm in technology, data networks to be exact.

15. Astronuc

That would make you 'notabove'? :biggrin:

The internet did not exist when we were in high school, although the telecommunications networks did exist. I used to use dial-up on a time-shared mainframe. The grad students in our engineering department installed the first network, and we subsequently hooked our network to the university's network. I was able to get into other computers across the nation on what was some kind of network, possibly the precursor to the internet, but the syntax was something like - node1::node2:: . . . ::destination

16. I'm a lipid biochemist so I just voted chemistry.

17. I voted for engineering. It's ideal.

18. Student...

19. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,498
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer the algebraic numbers myself

20. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I have worked as a process chemist in a pulp mill, as a programmer/troubleshooter during the automation of some power-boilers, and as a consultant in all of the above. None of it had buttons to click.

21. :rofl:

Ah, a fellow math geek!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?