What is the most efficient morning routine for a scientist on a working day?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary: I'm up and at 'em too In summary, Dave is up and at 'em too, while Lisab sleeps in until later in the day.
hbk4894
for the average working days let's say

for me

9.30 wakes up

9.45 - goes to the shop for a newspaper

10.25 - have breakfast and watch Jeremy Kyle on ITV 1 plus 1

11.25 watch this morning

12.30 heads to work (i start at 1pm)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gee, where do you get the time? My alarm goes at 6:50 and at 7:10 I'm out the door. I don't wake up until 8:00.

Likes mheslep
Get up at 5 am. Shower, shave. Work on physics stuff, either for work, or on my own stuff. Get breakfast for my eight-year-old daughter and make/pack lunch for myself. (Wife doesn't trust me to make a nutritious lunch for daughter, so she makes that.). Daughter and I leave our place at 7:15 , walk to coffee shop (even when it is -25C), and arrive at 7:40. Have tea and a cheese croissant. Leave coffee shop at 8:15, and walk daughter to school. Walk to to bus stop, catch bus, and arrive at work at 8:50.

Likes Astronuc and Monique
Does no one but me ever defecate? :confused:

Up at 4:45 on workdays. Make two cups of very nice coffee, read the news for a while while I drink them. Iron clothes, shower, pack my workout bag if I'm going to the gym that day. Out the door by 6:15 or so for a long commute to work. Eat breakfast at work, usually cereal.

Weekends: usually up by 6:00. Same two cups of coffee and news-reading, but a bit more lazy after that ;).

Hear the alarm at 6 30,
think to myself: 5 more minutes
get up at 8, at best,
cry

an early start there Lisab !

alarm at 0615
up, washed and at puter by 0625
5 solar images to download to my database as with a bunch of seismograms from the NZ network
quick check of email and forums
0700 leave home grab brekky on way to work
0715 at work for a 0730 start
1630 finish, home within 7 minutes unless stopping to do stuff on the way

Dave

davenn said:
an early start there Lisab !

alarm at 0615
up, washed and at puter by 0625
5 solar images to download to my database as with a bunch of seismograms from the NZ network
quick check of email and forums
0700 leave home grab brekky on way to work
0715 at work for a 0730 start
1630 finish, home within 7 minutes unless stopping to do stuff on the way

Dave
Eating home is too mainstream ? :P

I never have breakfast at home on work days, I need time to wake up properly before eating ;)

there's only about 6km between home and work and if traffic isn't too bad about a 7 +- 1minute trip

just do a standard 8 hr day, don't get any thanks if I worked any longer

I don't do mornings.

Likes Danger
Man you guys are up early...

I usually wake around between 9:00-10:00. First thing I do when I get out of bed is pushups (about 120 over three sets), then I cook/eat breakfast and usually get to my office around 11:00.

I don't think I'll ever be able to deal with a 9:00-5:00 job where I can't set my own schedule.

Evo said:
I don't do mornings.
To be technical, I don't have mornings, let alone do them. I keep a cat-like schedule, based upon an approximately 34-hour cycle. Although I have to sleep anywhere from 10—16 hours per 24, it's never for more than 4 or 5 maximum at a go. Usually more like 2 or 3. My extended periods of wakefulness are just for eating or bathroom activities, and I watch TV and do my computer stuff during and on both sides of that time. If you've ever wondered why I'm constantly switching between logged in and logged out, or logged in but non-responsive, that's why. Sometimes I fall asleep or have a bathroom emergency without shutting down PF.

Likes Evo
Danger said:
To be technical, I don't have mornings, let alone do them. I keep a cat-like schedule, based upon an approximately 34-hour cycle. Although I have to sleep anywhere from 10—16 hours per 24, it's never for more than 4 or 5 maximum at a go. Usually more like 2 or 3. My extended periods of wakefulness are just for eating or bathroom activities, and I watch TV and do my computer stuff during and on both sides of that time. If you've ever wondered why I'm constantly switching between logged in and logged out, or logged in but non-responsive, that's why. Sometimes I fall asleep or have a bathroom emergency without shutting down PF.
It's the same for me. I am up right now because i had to lie down earlier and fell asleep for several hours.

Evo said:
It's the same for me. I am up right now because i had to lie down earlier and fell asleep for several hours.
Damn! That means that we can never actually be lovers. Neither one of us could stay awake long enough. :(

Danger said:
Damn! That means that we can never actually be lovers. Neither one of us could stay awake long enough. :(
LOL

My official morning routine, if I had to put in on a medical questionnaire, is:
Open one eye.
If there's nothing within reach to eat or have sex with, close eye.
Repeat 2 hours later.

Lately my routine has been
Wake up between 5.30 - 6.30am. Make my bed, turn laptop on. Take domperidone and lorazepam, do dishes. Then go to my laptop and check Facebook, PhysOrg, Gmail + ISP address emails, log into PF chat. Once finish coffee, dry dishes and put away. Then have a shower. Put washing on. Go back to my laptop and wait for Evo to come on.

hbk4894 said:
10.25 - have breakfast and watch Jeremy Kyle on ITV 1 plus 1

Jeremy Kyle USA edition is on between 12.30 - 2.30pm on TV2 in New Zealand. Jordan (my half brother) and I have a habit of watching it, although at 2pm I switch over to Parliament TV to watch Parliament live (if its sitting).

Up at five

Walk dogs

Work at 6 am

Snack a little each hour (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, peppers, Greek yogurt)

Take a short walk at 12noon

Go home at 2:30pm or thereabouts...

Why? To avoid heavy traffic on local roads at 7-9am and 3-7pm.

Bodily functions as needed...

PF posts as needed...

Browse Internet randomly or work related, watch YouTube documentaries if interesting...

Wake up at 08:00 from the alarm clock, then give up and go back to sleep. By the time I get up it's no longer morning.

Likes Medicol and Danger
You do realize that 2 of those steps can be skipped, right?

I have to try. Sometimes I make it.

Likes Danger
Cup of tea, breakfast, another cup of tea followed by cups of tea.

A big glass of milk coffee, going to a swimming pool for 1 and a half hour, then breakfast (I can't eat dry stuff i.e bread, sandwich alone; there must be soup) :D. Go to work.
I guess in my pre-existence, I was probably a fish or a dragon, ok worse, a water worm

Wake up, moan/grunt while getting up. (between 7 and 11 usually)
Make Coffee ASAP. Turn on laptop, check everything that needs checking.
Eat sour cherry yoghurt.
Do nothing.

Last edited:
Wake up between 5 and 5:15
Shower, pack lunch and make coffee and suck down a 16 oz protein drink: before 5:40
Take the bride a cup 'o joe on way out the door by ~5:50, at work by 6:30

this is all moot if I can't sleep. I have been known to get into the office by 4 am (now I know why my old boss was in so early, neither one of us could sleep).

What is your morning routine?

My morning routine typically begins with waking up at 6:00 am, followed by a glass of water and a quick stretch. Then, I take a shower and get dressed for the day ahead.

Do you have a specific order for your morning routine?

Yes, I have a specific order that I follow for my morning routine. I find that having a consistent routine helps me stay focused and productive throughout the day.

Do you have any morning rituals or habits?

Yes, I have a few morning rituals and habits that I incorporate into my routine. I always make my bed, meditate for 10 minutes, and have a healthy breakfast before starting my workday.

How long does your morning routine usually take?

My morning routine usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour. I like to give myself enough time to wake up, get ready, and mentally prepare for the day ahead.

Do you make any adjustments to your morning routine based on your schedule for the day?

Yes, I do make adjustments to my morning routine depending on my schedule for the day. If I have an early meeting, I might wake up a bit earlier to have more time to prepare. If I have a busy day ahead, I might skip my morning meditation and do it later in the day.