What is your most interesting bit of trivia?

In summary, the conversation discussed various interesting and surprising trivia facts, such as the success of the Star Trek book series, the growth of the Klingon language, and the existence of a mouse that does not pee. The participants also shared their personal experiences with trying out unique physical movements, such as pedaling with both hands and moving their thumbs in opposite directions. Overall, the conversation demonstrated the intelligence and curiosity of the group.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought I would try this one out for giggles. We obviously have a very intelligent group of interesting people here. I am wondering if we have a good supply of interesting, surprising, or amazing trivia.

Here are a few that surprised the heck out of me.

I am told that the most successful book series in publishing history is Star Trek. I didn't even know about more than 5 or 6 of these. I think there are 50 or 60...maybe even more? I am also told that for a while at least, Klingon was the fasted growing language in the world.

Also, did you know that at least one kind of mouse never pees?

Finally, did you know that jackrabbits should not be able to survive in the desert heat? They cool their blood by pointing their oversized ears at the sky. Since space has a lower black body temperature than the surrounding environment, the wabbit wivves.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I am also told that for a while at least, Klingon was the fasted growing language in the world.
In raw numbers or by percentage? If I invent a language and teach it to two friends tomorrow (it'll be a simple language), it'll be the fastest growing language for a day.

hmm...5 or 6, closer to the number of series':smile:

I thought the number of books was well into the hundreds.

In the US, I believe the number of Star Trek books sold a minute is a little over 10 or so, that stat alone gives you a good idea of how successful it is.

Star Trek sucks:smile:

The Sand Mouse is it?

EDIT: The Klingon Dictionary is considered to be the fastest growing language [in the galaxy *rolls eyes*]. Not that many people actually speak it fluently, but since it started with no people knowing it, they can call it the fastest growing language. Although I would doubt it because Spanish, French, German, etc. are taught across the country in schools to thousands and thousands of students, and only a couple hundred [max] know Klingon good enough to say they speak it.

Last edited:

Also, did you know that at least one kind of mouse never pees?

Yes I know and I'm holding one right now.

Originally posted by Dal
Yes I know and I'm holding one right now.

duh...I'm sitting here thinking: Well what is the name of the breed?

I do have an excuse though since I use a laptop with a touch pad. I almost forgot all about mouses.

In this context, is the plural of mouse, mouses, or mice? meeces?

duh...I'm sitting here thinking: Well what is the name of the breed?

I do have an excuse though since I use a laptop with a touch pad. I almost forgot all about mouses.

In this context, is the plural of mouse, mouses, or mice? meeces?

There is a real mouse that doesn't urinate, it simply expells moist droplets of excrement.

I don't know if this counts as trivia, but I know of one thing that not one single man, woman or child can do.

Its hard to describe, maybe someone will know what I'm talking about it. If after reading the following and you determine you can do it, then I've failed at explaining.

Ok, for starters, think of riding a bicycle. One foot follows the other, in a circular manner.

Now, If you can imagine, peddle the left peddle forward, and the right peddle backwards.

Ok, what you got to do is take both hands, fingers fully extended, and try to do the same concept, pedalling one hand forward, and one backwards.

Some reason, you cannot move 1 hand in one direction, and the other hand in the opposite direction. I suppose its something to do with your brain wiring.

I can do it, albeit slowly at first.

- Warren

Originally posted by kyle_soule
There is a real mouse that doesn't urinate, it simply expells moist droplets of excrement.

So really it goes number 1 as number 3.

Originally posted by chroot
I can do it, albeit slowly at first.

- Warren

I can too; but boy do I feel silly!

Originally posted by megashawn
I don't know if this counts as trivia, but I know of one thing that not one single man, woman or child can do.

Its hard to describe, maybe someone will know what I'm talking about it. If after reading the following and you determine you can do it, then I've failed at explaining.

Ok, for starters, think of riding a bicycle. One foot follows the other, in a circular manner.

Now, If you can imagine, peddle the left peddle forward, and the right peddle backwards.

Ok, what you got to do is take both hands, fingers fully extended, and try to do the same concept, pedalling one hand forward, and one backwards.

You must have explained wrong:smile: It is easy peddling a bike with your hands.

Some reason, you cannot move 1 hand in one direction, and the other hand in the opposite direction. I suppose its something to do with your brain wiring.

Clapping?

know how you "twiddle your thumbs"? move them in circles around each other.

do that a few times

now try this though: move your right thumb clockwise

then move your left thumb counter-clockwise around your right thumb

hard, isn't it?

it takes a good 15 or 20 seconds to get it down.

I think it mainly has to do with what hand you are. If you are right handed you will notice that your right hand thumb is the one that is doing most the actualy movement, your left thumb will basically go in a less coordinated motion. True though, it is harder to reverse it.

Here's one from Richard Feynman:
Can you pee while standing on your head?
Anyone care to try? Richard did.

OK. How many people can curl their tongue from side to side?
This is a genetic trait and only some people can do it.

My wife saw a patient once who has a condition known as Asides Inversus Totalis. All of the organs are reversed; right to left.

I was working with an MRI crew - I was not there at the time - that scanned a WWI vet. He had a very low quality stainless steel pin in his leg from the war. The MRI removed it for him. Came right out.

Last edited:

1. What kind of trivia do you find most interesting?

I am a scientist, so I find scientific trivia to be the most interesting. This could include fun facts about animals, space, or technology.

2. Can you share one of your favorite pieces of trivia?

One of my favorite pieces of trivia is that the Earth's oceans contain 20 million tons of gold.

3. How do you find interesting trivia facts?

I am constantly reading and conducting research in my field, so I often stumble upon interesting trivia facts through my work. I also enjoy attending conferences and learning from other scientists.

4. What is the most surprising piece of trivia you have come across?

One of the most surprising pieces of trivia I have come across is that there are more possible iterations of a game of chess than there are atoms in the known universe.

5. How do you use trivia in your work as a scientist?

Trivia can be a great way to spark curiosity and interest in a certain topic. I often use interesting trivia facts to engage my students or colleagues in discussions and further exploration of a particular subject.