What is your opinion about Arrhenius' announcement?

• Thread starter Jang Jin Hong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arrhenius
In summary, Svante Arrhenius delivered a speech at the ceremony of awarding Nobel prizes, in which he mentioned the theory of relativity. This theory has been the subject of lively debate in philosophical circles due to its pertinence to epistemology. However, Arrhenius' speech is outdated and relativity is more than just an epistemological curiosity. It has been accepted for its usefulness in calculation, but it is still a theory and not a proven fact. Electromagnetic theory, which is built upon relativity, has been verified by experiments such as Hertz's use of a resonator in 1888. However, there are still distorted information about relativity in the general public, such as the incorrect thought
Jang Jin Hong
At the ceremony of awarding Nobel prizes,
Svante Arrhenius said as following.

"Most discussion centers on his theory of relativity.
This pertains essentially to epistemology and has therefore
been the subject of lively debate in philosophical circles."

I agree with Arrhenius
what is the opinion of physicsits about this announcement?

Physics news on Phys.org
SR & GR were absolutely nowhere near as thoroughly verified in 1921/22 as they are today. Arrhenius' speech is well outdated, and relativity is way more than just an epistemological curiosity.

Jang Jin Hong said:
"Most discussion centers on his theory of relativity."
Although Einstein eventually did get the prize (more to the benefit of the prize than to Einstein), it wasn't for his theory of relativity.

Gokul43201 said:
SR & GR were absolutely nowhere near as thoroughly verified in 1921/22 as they are today. Arrhenius' speech is well outdated, and relativity is way more than just an epistemological curiosity.

Form of relativity is axioms.
Axioms can not be verified by experiment.
That was accepted by usefulness in calculation.
"verified" and "accepted" are different thing.
the one is process of physical law,
but the other is process of metaphysical axiom.

Jang Jin Hong said:
Form of relativity is axioms.
Axioms can not be verified by experiment.
Can you give an example of a physical theory that has been verified by experiment?

jimmysnyder said:
Can you give an example of a physical theory that has been verified by experiment?
Except relativity itself and Quantum mechanics itself, Almost every thing described in textbook of physics are physical theory.
electomagnetic theory, astronomical theory, solid state physics, etc...

Jang Jin Hong said:
Except relativity itself and Quantum mechanics itself, Almost every thing described in textbook of physics are physical theory.
electomagnetic theory, astronomical theory, solid state physics, etc...
Solid state physics is nothing but the quantum mechanics of solids. Astrophysics is built upon relativity. And the most accurate physical theory we have today is the theory describing electromagnetism - it's called quantum electrodynamics.

Jang Jin Hong said:
electomagnetic theory.
Which experiment verifies electromagnetic theory?

jimmysnyder said:
Although Einstein eventually did get the prize (more to the benefit of the prize than to Einstein), it wasn't for his theory of relativity.

The official motivation is "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect"

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/

Gokul43201 said:
Solid state physics is nothing but the quantum mechanics of solids. Astrophysics is built upon relativity. And the most accurate physical theory we have today is the theory describing electromagnetism - it's called quantum electrodynamics.
We study that field of physical phenomena by using quantum mechanics and relativity.
The application of quantum mechanics and relativity are physics.
but to investigate relativity itself and quantum mechanics itself are not physics.
those are metaphysics.

Jang Jin Hong said:
The application of quantum mechanics and relativity are physics.
but to investigate relativity itself and quantum mechanics itself are not physics.
those are metaphysics.
Was the investigation of Newtonian mechanics also not physics but only metaphysics?

And that brings us also to jimmy's question, which you are yet to answer.

Gokul43201 said:
Was the investigation of Newtonian mechanics also not physics but only metaphysics?
In my thought, Newton's first law is a metaphysical axiom.
I will not say about that problem in this forum. because that require long explanation.
And that brings us also to jimmy's question, which you are yet to answer.
I have said that. I can not understand what you want.
Kepler's elliptical orbit theory in astronomy.
Maxwell's equation in electomagnetism.
GL theory in solid state physics. etc..

Jang Jin Hong said:
I can not understand what you want.
I am trying to understand what you mean by the word 'verify'. It sounds to me as if you mean that some scientific theories have been proven to be true by means of experiment but that others have not. That is why I ask again. Which experiment verifies electromagnetic theory? Who performed the experiment? When?

I would also like to know if you can state the theory of electromagnetism as you understand it. I ask this because I want to know what you consider an axiom and what you do not consider an axiom.

jimmysnyder said:
I am trying to understand what you mean by the word 'verify'. It sounds to me as if you mean that some scientific theories have been proven to be true by means of experiment but that others have not. That is why I ask again. Which experiment verifies electromagnetic theory? Who performed the experiment? When?

Hertz verified Maxwell's theory about electromagnetic radiation in 1888 by using resonator.

Jang Jin Hong said:
Hertz verified Maxwell's theory about electromagnetic radiation in 1888 by using resonator.
Does this mean that electromagnetic theory is now a fact, or is it still a theory?

jimmysnyder said:
Does this mean that electromagnetic theory is now a fact, or is it still a theory?

Your question have some trap.
That is fact in the condition of relativity is accepted.

Jang Jin Hong said:
That is fact in the condition of relativity is accepted.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks.

There are some people who have a antagonism to use word "metaphysics".
but I do not use word "metaphysics" to devaluate relativity and quantum mechanics.
Those are useful and important theories.
But there are too many distorted informations about relativity in general public,
such as wrong thought of Karl Popper.

1. What is Arrhenius' announcement?

Arrhenius' announcement refers to the theory proposed by Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius in 1896, which states that the increase in carbon dioxide levels in the Earth's atmosphere can lead to global warming.

2. Do you agree with Arrhenius' announcement?

As a scientist, I cannot personally agree or disagree with Arrhenius' announcement. However, the majority of the scientific community agrees that the greenhouse effect, which Arrhenius' theory is based on, is a real phenomenon.

3. How does Arrhenius' announcement relate to climate change?

Arrhenius' announcement is a key piece of evidence in understanding the causes of climate change. His theory explains how human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, contribute to the increase in carbon dioxide levels and therefore contribute to global warming.

4. Has Arrhenius' announcement been proven?

While Arrhenius' theory has been widely accepted, it is important to note that science is always evolving and our understanding of climate change is constantly improving. Therefore, there may be updates or revisions to the theory in the future.

5. What impact has Arrhenius' announcement had on society?

Arrhenius' announcement has had a significant impact on society, as it has brought attention to the issue of climate change and the role that human actions play in it. It has also influenced policies and actions taken to address global warming and mitigate its effects.