What is your philosophy?

• Thread starter funcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary, Reality is whatever is important to you. Whether it is consistent or not is irrelevant. You can experience anything as real. To have a good time all the time, you should do it your way.
funcake
What is the nature of reality?

How do you know what's real?

How should we live?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you need to flesh these generic questions out.

I suggest you start by reading our philosphy guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47294

In general, one should attempt to flesh out questions and arguments in the philosophy forums adequately enough that readers will have a good understanding of the problem, the backdrop against which it resides, and the justification of one's perspective. This might include

* explicitly defining key terms;
* justifying why this is a valid issue or problem in the first place;
* explicitly stating starting premises or assumptions;
* providing logical or empirical support for such premises or assumptions;
* making subtle logical steps more explicit;
* summarizing previous arguments made on the topic and explaining how they are relevant to your argument;
* etc.

A good rule of thumb is to place yourself in the shoes of your readers and ask whether a prospective post is clear enough and developed enough to be understood by them-- Does this make sense? Am I making a sufficiently strong argument for my claims? How likely is it that someone will be confused by, or misinterpret, what I have written? You should strive to make your posts intelligible, well supported, and unambiguous.

...otherwise your one-liner questions will get one-liner replies:

What is the nature of reality? Reality is whatever matters.

How do you know what's real? If it matters, it's real; if it's not real, it doesn't matter.

How should we live? Like Frank Sinatra: do it your way.

Im a transcendental realist who affirms deontology.

funcake said:
What is the nature of reality?

How do you know what's real?

How should we live?

Reality is what we experience.
Everything I experience is real, although it may not be consistent.
The very best way we can.

Have a good time all the time. That's my philosophy, funcake.

1. What is the meaning of philosophy?

Philosophy is the study of fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It involves critical thinking and analysis to understand the world and our place in it.

2. Why is philosophy important?

Philosophy helps us to think critically and question our assumptions, beliefs, and values. It also provides a framework for understanding complex concepts and ideas and encourages us to seek truth and knowledge.

3. How does philosophy relate to science?

Philosophy and science are closely intertwined as both seek to understand the world and our place in it. Philosophy provides the theoretical foundation for scientific inquiry, while science provides empirical evidence to support philosophical theories.

4. What are the main branches of philosophy?

The main branches of philosophy are metaphysics, epistemology, logic, ethics, and aesthetics. Metaphysics explores the nature of reality, epistemology studies knowledge and how we acquire it, logic examines reasoning and arguments, ethics focuses on moral principles and values, and aesthetics examines beauty and art.

5. How can philosophy be applied in everyday life?

Philosophy can help us to think critically and make sound decisions in our personal, professional, and social lives. It can also help us to understand and evaluate different perspectives and beliefs, leading to a more open-minded and empathetic approach to life.