Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Christianity

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Other...please post what you believe in

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
I know perfectly well what Agnosticism is. I was merely expanding the definition out of the dictionary and into the real world.

mouseman
I thought Agnosticism was that you believed in God, just that God didn't give a crap about humanity... 'course I'm not to learned in the beliefs of the world.

kyleb
Originally posted by Mulder
I know perfectly well what Agnosticism is. I was merely expanding the definition out of the dictionary and into the real world.
funny, i take it your dictionary and your "real world" are full of bible beaters?

My Religion is Islam,
Iam Muslim :)
Mercy,bless and peace be upon u from God (The God).

In the last version of pf there was a thread on agnosticism...The genereal concensus was it was the disbelief in God because there was no proof, or if they were given proof they would not believe. Whereas, an atheist would believe in God if they were provided with sufficient proof.

I think more often than not atheists are agnostics and agnostics are religious just going through a period of disbelief...just my opinion.

I voted atheist.

FZ+
if they were given proof they would not believe. Whereas, an atheist would believe in God if they were provided with sufficient proof
I think you mixed it up...

But I disagree anyway. :smile:
Atheists would still change their minds if they had objective proof. They however put a (very) high probability in the non-existence of proof, while agnostics believe in the suspension of the conclusion (but not neccessarily the discussion) until proof is given. Kinda.

greeneagle3000
:D

none.

greeneagale what are you responding to when you say none

greeneagle3000
no religion

about my religion.

i don't pray to anything.

i believe in a creator god.

but i dont believe any one religion has got it rite. well its possible one of them did but i dont feel the need to choose one.

watch Dogma.

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Agnosticism implies sitting on the fence. If you are sitting on the fence, it means you can't make up your mind either way. In a normal situation, sitting on the fence occurs because there is equally convincing arguments from both sides, and you don't feel you can fairly choose one option over the other.

If you feel that there is equally as much evidence for god, as there is against god existing, then you may be an agnostic.

As for Atheism, I believe there are two kinds. I call them simply strong and weak. Weak atheism is

'I see no evidence, so I have no reason to believe'

while strong atheism is

'I have looked, and there is no evidence when there should be. There is, therefore, no god.'

I used to be a weak atheist, but have since revised my own position on the matter, and decided that I was more accurately a strong atheist. If God exists, then we honestly, should see something, anything, which gives us some sort of indication of its existence. Instead we get nothing. I believe, that there is no God. This is a belief of mine, just as my belief that the sun will rise tomorrow, and that eating carrots is good for me. None of those beliefs are religions, they are just beliefs which I have justifications for believing.

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
So, i feel I should now point out that while I did select Atheism in the poll, a more accurate description of my 'religion' would be something like what Lifegazer said.
Reasonism
If you want a word for it. My religion is philosophy. But then, philosophy isn't a religion, it is the yang of religion. Religion implies dogmatic truths. My religion, is that truth is out of my reach, so I must adapt to whatever truth I percieve at any time. My religion, is that religion has got it all wrong. Philosophy is the only way to guide our lives.

I use reason, and decide how I should act in any given situation appropriately. Not dogmatically.

The poll would not let me select Chirstianity and Buddhism. I'm a eclectic Christian Zen Buddhist. That either means that I have an open mind and find some good and truth in a number of belief systems or that I can't make up my mind what I am. I don't know; I can't decide which.

LogicalAtheist
I am pleased to see 50% are atheist.

And to sum up a comment, atheism is not a religion nor is it a belief or disblief.

Atheism is the conclusion reached by studying empirical, logical, mathematical, and scientific data on both sides of the ever famous question.

And to repeat a comment, you agnostics. Stop being to lazy to look at evidence and STUDY IT and reach the scientific conclusion.

PLEASE, we need you to unite!

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
And to repeat a comment, you agnostics. Stop being to lazy to look at evidence and STUDY IT and reach the scientific conclusion.

PLEASE, we need you to unite! [/B]
stop assuming they are being lazy...perhaps they are undecided even after looking at the evidence and looking at what is within them...remember, to insult someone who chooses to believe in somethind different then you (regardless of proof), only shows your streak of intolerance and ignorance...

LogicalAtheist
Originally posted by Kerrie
stop assuming they are being lazy...perhaps they are undecided even after looking at the evidence and looking at what is within them...remember, to insult someone who chooses to believe in somethind different then you (regardless of proof), only shows your streak of intolerance and ignorance...
Kerrie - I did mean it seriously. Perhaps I should have addes a :smile: or

They're not lazy. And agnostics I don't mind because they're very much leaning towards good in comparison to where humanity currently stands!

There is a missing poll option.

One can only makes choices between belief systems, either to the positive or to the negative. Atheism is treated as a belief system (the belief that there is no God), but this does not indicate my point of view.

I do not agree with that, cause I do not believe that a God exists, neither do I believe that God does not exist.

Why do I have to belief either to the positive or the contrary of something. I simly do not believe, but instead try to know and understand, and the issue of wether or not God exists is besides the issue.

Instead of believing or disbelieving God exists, I know a material world exists, since I can perceive one, and that through science we can know about the world as it is, beyond my perception of it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Another God
So, i feel I should now point out that while I did select Atheism in the poll, a more accurate description of my 'religion' would be something like what Lifegazer said.
Reasonism
If you want a word for it. My religion is philosophy. But then, philosophy isn't a religion, it is the yang of religion. Religion implies dogmatic truths. My religion, is that truth is out of my reach, so I must adapt to whatever truth I percieve at any time. My religion, is that religion has got it all wrong. Philosophy is the only way to guide our lives.

I use reason, and decide how I should act in any given situation appropriately. Not dogmatically.
Realism is a philosophy which has the point of view of Idealism, and opposes Materialism. It states in regard of the issue wether or not a material world exist, outside and independend of our minds, is at best left open (agnostic).

If you think that religion has got it 'all wrong', and we can know about the material world, then Materialism offers a better point of view. Realism does not escape from Idealist concepts entirely.

Last edited:
Alexander
I believe in facts and logic, but this religion is not listed above.

What should I press?

"Other..." button?

LogicalAtheist
Alex. Nice point. Thus, I am interested in why you do not claim atheism?

Perhaps, if your answer is neat enough, let's make a topic post for us to talk about this.

You saying you believe in facts and logic, is strikingly similiar to me. Now, on this forum thats not SO rare. But you damn well know how rare it is in the real world.

Lemme know how this differs from atheism.

Alexander
Well, I usually indeed call it atheism, but sometimes people say: "yeah, yeah - you believe in NO gods, we believe in YES gods - what is the difference?,- yours just another religion".

So, to avoid stupid remarks about atheism being another religion (which it is not) I then have to clarify EXACTLY what I believe in - for those who mixes atheism with religions. Look at the vote questions above - atheism IS among major religions here.

on the god thing I am a Atheist

but my religion is HIPPY we belive in sex and drugs and rock&roll but not any gods

Alexander
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

You saying you believe in facts and logic, is strikingly similiar to me. Now, on this forum thats not SO rare. But you damn well know how rare it is in the real world.

I was raised in society where I never heard "everything comes from God", so it is shocking for me.

It is same as to say that "everything comes from Santa".

BoulderHead
Originally posted by Alexander
It is same as to say that "everything comes from Santa".
Maybe so, but I still prefer Santa!

schwarzchildradius
There are obviously several monotheistic gods that require exclusion of belief in other gods by default. These gods have different powers and different levels of power, each manifested by human action. No god is all powerful, although they may purport to have supernatural powers over the afterlife, their true power is here and now, over life and death.