Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your Scariest Story?

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    mine when i was 10 and climbing a tree and nearly falling out of , scared i was going to die.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Being a passenger in any military (Marines++) helicopter. I hated them all and feared for my life every second. I watched a USMC CH-46 crash and kill two people from 20 feet away and then had to fly on one to the next job to a carrier a 100 miles away. The fear of horrible death during that flight still makes me sweat.

4. Mar 20, 2015 #3
    Mine is also an aircraft incident.
    Landed in snow, aircraft skidded, wing briefly touched the ground, a few sparks.
    Geneva, several years ago, no casualties, but seriously scary.

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Too many to count.

6. Mar 20, 2015 #5

Evo

Being several feet across from a called in bomb by the Ku Klux Klan after they had bombed our radio tower. That was one. So many, plane near misses where our plane was ordered into the path of another plane and narrowly avoided, the plane surged up, all of the overhead compartments flew opened, luggage raining down on us, people screaming and praying. A flight over water where we were in a WWII bomber with ropes as safety belts, barely skimming the water, sparks flying out of the propellers.

Car accidents where it was a miracle I wasn't killed. Attempted kidnapping in a bad part of town. Murders where I was with the murdered just hours before. Near drowning. Too many too go into.

7. Mar 20, 2015 #6
    Big spider in my room I don't even want to speak about it

8. Mar 20, 2015 #7

Evo

YOU WIN!!!!!

9. Mar 20, 2015 #8
    Had you been eating travel sickness pills?
    Although they do what they are supposed to do for me, they seem to have a side effect of making me see insects or spiders whatever.
    This is actually true, though a sample of one is meaningless

10. Mar 21, 2015 #9
    Was mugged in Chicago when I was 16, guy took about twenty dollars off of me and knocked me over.

11. Mar 21, 2015 #10
    Accidentally elbowed a scorpion.

12. Mar 22, 2015 #11

Maylis

Gold Member

I walked by a building that exploded at my university and watched the mushroom cloud of fire come from the top. That was pretty bad and the subsequent pandamonium.

13. Mar 22, 2015 #12
    One time when I was at my friend's apartment late at night, me and two other friends were leaving and some old guy was shouting at us from across the street. We assumed he wanted money or something, so we ignored him. Then as we were backing out of the driveway in his truck, a younger fellow came up to the door of my friend's girlfriend and tried to open it, and I saw something red that he was holding in his other hand, and noticed it was the laser on the gun he was holding. I slid down to the floor and told my friend he had a gun and my friend sped off as the guy hit the window with his gun, but the window didn't break.
    Who are you, Liam Neeson?

14. Mar 23, 2015 #13
    Once got caught in a rip tide when I was in a sea in Australia, kept dragging me further and further out! Somehow managed to swim to the side and back to shore :/

15. Mar 26, 2015 #14
    I've been in situations that are supposed to be scary, but I guess I was too young/slow to understand,
    When I was a toddler, I fell off the high chair(i think that's what you call it). A strap tangle around my leg and prevented me from hitting the ground head first.
    When I was about 6 or 7, my mom and I were in a swimming pool in China, she was holding me up because I wasn't tall enough to touch the floor. She slipped and pushed and kept my head underwater. There was no life guard. I don't remember being scared, at all and to this day, I still love to swim.

16. Apr 6, 2015 #15

Siv

Gold Member

Aircraft turbulence scares the **** out of me. On the India-Dubai leg of the Emirates flight to the USA, there are several periods of severe turbulence and I hate it !
    I used to travel every January for our annual leadership conference, and I dreaded that leg of the journey .... thats one part of quitting that I will love !

The recent air crashes are certainly not going to help the next time I fly for a vacation :nb)

17. Apr 27, 2015 #16
    I remember when I was fourteen, some of us kids in the neighborhood were launching model rockets. The engines fired with a car battery burning a Nichrome wire. Being one of the older kids, I was the one to carry the car battery to the sand pit about a half mile away. It was a hot day, and I felt the easiest way to carry the car battery was on top of my head. After a while, I felt a drip, (I thought it was sweat), trickle down my forehead. I wiped it off, in the middle of carrying the battery. to the lot. I returned from the lot. A day or two later, I looked in the mirror and I saw a little first degree burn down, my forehead just around my eye, and down my nose, where I remembered the "sweat" I wiped off. To this day, I am frightened when I think of how close I was to getting the Sulfuric acid from the battery in my eye.

18. Apr 27, 2015 #17

strangerep

Science Advisor

Geez, Evo. What dreadful sins did you commit in a previous life??

19. Apr 28, 2015 #18
    A few of my friends and I were launching fireworks in an orchard near my house. One of the fireworks "fell over", shot into a tree, and exploded. We all froze for a second praying to god we weren't going to burn down this guys orchard. Thank god it only nuked the leaves.

20. May 2, 2015 #19

NascentOxygen

A family friend has a number of driving stories. The best one is the time she drove across a railway level crossing and a train took the door handle off her car. Hard to picture exactly how that could be the only damage, but that's what she says!

21. May 4, 2015 #20
    Mine would have to be tracking down my violent and mentally unhinged brother in the dark without a flashlight (he was seen wielding a sledge hammer). Nothing like wondering if you are going to get a sledge hammer in the face the next time you turn a corner.

What's that? I should have called the police? Well, he had threatened to commit suicide, so I had to find him as quickly as possible.

Disclaimer: The overwhelming majority of mentally ill people are nonviolent. If anyone thinks this post is stigmatizing mentally ill people, I will delete it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook