Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your take on funny?

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I find slap sick rather mundane because it is so predictable, any thing that
    one can see the outcome is not funny to me, the spur of the moment comedy, the quick Witt is my comedy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2
    dark, morbid & low-brow humour is my thing. the more offensive the better. :devil: i'll laugh at anything but there isn't much else that REALLY makes me laugh.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  4. Jul 13, 2007 #3
    IMO predictable humour can be pretty damn funny. For example I would find a video clip of a penguin sliding backward very slowly toward the edge of a cliff hilarious, for the very reason that I know exactly what is to happen, but the penguin doesn't.

In most cases though I find dry and witty humour the best.

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two words:

Emo Phillips

6. Jul 13, 2007 #5
    Americans have a different but simillar sense of humour to the UK, Canadians even more so, the Germans don't appear to do funny :smile:

Hows that...

I like anything but farce and slapstick, obviously being English absurd humour appeals to me a lot as well.

7. Jul 13, 2007 #6
    I like stuff thats un-PC, racial, and full of cursing. -something like Chris Rock, Eddy Murphy-ish.

8. Jul 13, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I generally enjoy satire and surrealist comedy.

A lot of people say to me, 'You think it's really clever to be sarcastic don't you?'. And I say to them.... 'No!'.

Of course that joke works better if I tell it using my voice.

9. Jul 13, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Amen!!

"So I said hey, sweet thing, want to come back to my place?" and she said "Do you have cable?" and I said "No, but the ropes should hold you."

"What did you get for Christmas? I got new underwear! ... Well, new to me."

10. Jul 13, 2007 #9
  11. Jul 13, 2007 #10
    I think I'm not supposed to like slap-stick, but it makes me laugh just the same. Mel Brooks says (I changed it some): Tragedy is when I stub my toe, comedy is when you fall down the stairs. My favorite kind of humor is parody.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  12. Jul 13, 2007 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree, but I have a totally different type of humour. It's subtle and you have to be quick to understand it and get it. Those who get it all the time say I'm hilarious. Some people don't get it but still think I'm funny but don't really know why.

Just the other week a guy at work said I was hilarious. He commented on the things I say in "between" things. He said he doesn't get it right away most of the time, but he normally gets it a minute later.

It might sound useless to have humour that no one gets right away, but it's there and those who catch it... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't laugh at obvious stuff though. I also do have a "dumbed" down type of humour since not everyone gets it.

13. Jul 13, 2007 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I got my nephew a Batmobile for his birthday. But when I went to hang it over his bed, I realized one of the critters was still alive...

14. Jul 13, 2007 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

NatLamp humour:

1. Exploding toilets are funny.
    2. Dead children are not funny.
    3. Unless they're killed by exploding toilets.

15. Jul 13, 2007 #14

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mitch Hedberg!

16. Jul 13, 2007 #15
    :mad: i was going to say that. demetri martin is really good too

17. Jul 13, 2007 #16
    yeah i thought eddie murphy mocking muhammed ali was hilarious :rofl:

18. Jul 13, 2007 #17
  19. Jul 13, 2007 #18
  20. Jul 13, 2007 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seeing how people are listing their faves I will push Stewart Lee as my favourite ever comedian.

21. Jul 13, 2007 #20
    Stewart Lee's fantastic. I love his delivery; very original without any crap goofisms. I assume you've seen his "stand up comedian" show?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?