Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your worst fear?

1. Aug 24, 2013 #1
    I have to admit, even though I fly on a plane several times a year, one of my worst fears is a plane crash. I would also say a huge fear is swimming in open ocean water at night. What are yours?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Swimming in ocean water where I cannot see below my feet, that's a biggie. Second is swimming in the ocean, period.

4. Aug 24, 2013 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

Imagine doing scuba diving deep in the ocean, where it's dark from all sides, and you barely see even with lights you have. Suddenly you see something HUGE from a distance getting closer and closer to you, oh and you can't easily move...*faints*

5. Aug 25, 2013 #4

Evo

I don't want anything moving around below or around me that I don't know about and can't fairly control.

Also, I will NEVER fling myself out of a plane. I have done some risky things in my life, but I have limits. Not to mention I am afraid of heights, not a fun thing. I read a study once about the differences in brains of those that are self stimulated (me) and those that require outside stimulation. They watched the brains of people that are self stimulated and while listening to soft classical music, their brains were all lit up, those that needed outside stimulation, while listening to the same music had almost no activity.

Snakes. NO.

6. Aug 25, 2013 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

LIZARDS!!! *screams then faints*

7. Aug 25, 2013 #6
  8. Aug 25, 2013 #7
    Sleeping with my toes sticking out of the edge of the bed

9. Aug 25, 2013 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::cry::rofl:

OMG :rofl:

I remeber I was like this when I was little, I fear that something hidden underneath the bed might chop them off or something. :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  10. Aug 25, 2013 #9

Evo

I can't sleep if my toes are covered, I sleep with my feet sticking out from under the covers.

11. Aug 25, 2013 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

+1 They need to breath too. :tongue:

12. Aug 25, 2013 #11
    Its "breathe" my friend! :tongue2:

13. Aug 25, 2013 #12
    I still have that fear! :frown:

14. Aug 25, 2013 #13

Borg

Gold Member

That someday PF would be gone and I would have to get a life. :tongue:

15. Aug 25, 2013 #14
    Walking down the street and seeing and meeting Elvis Priestly asking for directions.:cool: or not :cool:

16. Aug 25, 2013 #15

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I have no ultimate always fear. I fear different things in different contexts. I tend to have a fear that somebody's coming in my house after dark when I hear house creaks and apartment neighbors walking around. Of course, intellectually, I know it's not the case, but my fear response still picks up.

Open water is one of my fears too. When I did king crab on the Bering Sea, I always had daymares about going down in a crab pot.

Flying doesn't bother me near as much as driving on highways where you're at the mercy of 100's of morons.

I fear social persecution when I've been misunderstood.

I fear my children will go overboard and drown, or fall down and break their necks, or hang themselves playing with string, or poison themselves eating the wrong thing, etc., etc.

17. Aug 25, 2013 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nightime: Velociraptors. Ever since "that movie".
    Daytime: Fear i'll do something that hurts somebody. Ever since "Madame Butterfly".
    Guess I have a suggestible nature.

now that thought deserves a thread of its own. I used to frequent Beethoven dot com's community board.

18. Aug 25, 2013 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I wonder... did it really have to be classical music though? I'm getting that baby mozart twitch.

19. Aug 25, 2013 #18
    Yes, plane crashing is definitely one of my fears. Even though I've tried tandem paragliding once, which for some reason did not scare me.

Yes, that too. Add the thoughts of sharks and I'd become terrified.

I'll also admit that sometimes, sometimes, when I think of the Universe, I can feel the fear when visualizing e.g. a black hole on a collision course with Earth - that's not a nice thought :bugeye:. I'm perfectly well aware that it's highly unlikely :blushing:, but then again, we're talking about fears, right?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  20. Aug 25, 2013 #19

Evo

I'm sure it's any sort of music some would consider boring. I'm wondering what pieces they played.

21. Aug 25, 2013 #20

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

This seems to be a false dichotomy to me. Can you cite this study? How does one determine whether or not one's brain requires outside stimulation or not? Is there not a continuum of brain response to stimulation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook