What is your worst fear?

reenmachine

Gold Member
home invasion
losing my mind completely
failing
ageing

My biggest fear is the thought of dying without knowing if there is other life out there. Only once I know that life exists elsewhere in the universe will be life be complete.

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Walking down the street and seeing and meeting Elvis Priestly asking for directions.:cool: or not :cool:
Who's Elvis Priestly? Did he sing 'You ain't nothin' but an oxygen molecule?'

My biggest fear is that the Amish Mafia will take over Las Vegas someday and turn the Strip into one big illegal butter churn.

256bits

Gold Member
Who's Elvis Priestly? Did he sing 'You ain't nothin' but an oxygen molecule?'

My biggest fear is that the Amish Mafia will take over Las Vegas someday and turn the Strip into one big illegal butter churn.
Butter churn :rofl: Gotta love butter.
Actually it was a tonque cheeky style about going nutso and loosing touch with reality and not knowing it, but someone afterwards covered the dementia.

My second biggest fear is posting on PF and nobody having the faintest clue what I am takling about.

I was reading about locked-in syndrome, and how people who have this are completely paralyzed, some even unable to move their eyelids, but they're completely conscious. That would be hell, and that's my new worst fear.

Running out of warm water in the shower.

Oh, and whenever the internet is down, I have a mini-panic attack.

I really need to get a life.

Evo

Mentor
This seems to be a false dichotomy to me. Can you cite this study? How does one determine whether or not one's brain requires outside stimulation or not? Is there not a continuum of brain response to stimulation?
The study was from over 20 years ago.

Here are a couple of studies, let's not pull this off topic. If you are interested you should research it.

That kind of exhiliration is particularly appealing to a personality type, aptly known as ''thrill-seekers,'' people who have been studied by Frank Farley, a psychologist at the University of Wisconsin. People who are high in that trait, Dr. Farley said, ''seek variety, novelty, intensity and risk.''

One theory holds that the brains of thrill-seekers are usually at a lower level of arousal compared with most other people.
Why Do People Crave the Experience? - New York Times

Boredom Disconnects Parts of Your Brain

Researchers at the University of Michigan, led by Daniel Weissman, studied the interactions that occur between multiple areas of the brain when boredom sets in, and discovered that, as attention fades, so does the intensity at which several nervous centers communicate.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Boredom-Disconnects-Parts-of-Your-Brain-99817.shtml

turbo

Gold Member
I fear losing my wife to some kind of accident.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to decide between looking my sight or my hearing.

I'm swaying towards hearing .... I greatly enjoy music and conversation
and the thought of being plunged into soundless world is a bit freaky to me

Dave

Insects. Specially roaches. If there is any entomologist in this forum no offense, but I throw my shoe at the sight of an insect.

:rofl::rofl::cry::rofl:

OMG :rofl:

I remember I was like this when I was little, I fear that something hidden underneath the bed might chop them off or something. :p
True, same as my imagination. I used to be afraid that there might probably be a big monster's hand from below grabbing my butt while I was sitting on the toilet bowl.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A loved one suffering, and me being unable to help.
Being poor when I'm old.

Some of my weird irrational fears:

Shipwrecks. Just everything about them, so creepy.

Having a bad toothache and being unable to communicate it.

And I didn't even know I had fear of open water swimming until I learned to SCUBA dive. The thought of my buoyancy compensator failing and not being able to ditch my weight belt, just going down, down, down, the water getting colder and darker...yikes.

Losing my mind, dementia, Alzheimer’s etc., doubly so if I realize it is happening.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Flying doesn't bother me near as much as driving on highways where you're at the mercy of 100's of morons.
I do have some fear of driving through intersections - especially the ones that have already made the news because of a traffic fatality caused by someone running the red light.

Just the fact that I remember the news stories about particular intersections for years, or remember the tree that used to be on that street before an SUV killed it, etc, is probably slightly irrational. I certainly don't remember the murder stories that long.

Slightly off-topic: You ever notice how in movies, drivers are so afraid of collisions with motorcycles that they'll swerve into other cars to avoid them; yet they almost never see a truck coming and will fearlessly drive right in front of it?

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
For Will Smith and family, I would have to guess that their worst fear is watching Miley Cyrus perform.

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pythagorean

Gold Member
I do have some fear of driving through intersections - especially the ones that have already made the news because of a traffic fatality caused by someone running the red light.

Just the fact that I remember the news stories about particular intersections for years, or remember the tree that used to be on that street before an SUV killed it, etc, is probably slightly irrational. I certainly don't remember the murder stories that long.

Slightly off-topic: You ever notice how in movies, drivers are so afraid of collisions with motorcycles that they'll swerve into other cars to avoid them; yet they almost never see a truck coming and will fearlessly drive right in front of it?
Most of my worst fear comes from watching russian dash cam videos. And a little bit from experience driving on the freeways with impatient people or, driving 600 miles south through a snowstorm in Alaska once, there was an abandoned car off the road every 50 miles, probably 4 or 5 cases of full emergency crew at the site of an accident along the whole trip. Just living in the city, you can sometimes hear sirens going all night on the first freeze as the newcomers learn to adjust their stopping expectations to a reduced coefficient of friction.

Dembadon

Gold Member
Having to watch someone I care about die a slow and painful death while being prevented from helping them.