What is your biggest fear?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I have to admit, even though I fly on a plane several times a year, one of my worst fears is a plane crash. I would also say a huge fear is swimming in open ocean water at night. What are yours?I have the same fear as you, of swimming in open ocean water at night. I also have a fear of flying, but I've learned to live with that fear.
Gad said:
:rofl::rofl::cry::rofl:

OMG :rofl:

I remember I was like this when I was little, I fear that something hidden underneath the bed might chop them off or something. :p
True, same as my imagination. I used to be afraid that there might probably be a big monster's hand from below grabbing my butt while I was sitting on the toilet bowl.

Physics news on Phys.org
A loved one suffering, and me being unable to help.
Being poor when I'm old.

Some of my weird irrational fears:

Shipwrecks. Just everything about them, so creepy.

Having a bad toothache and being unable to communicate it.

And I didn't even know I had fear of open water swimming until I learned to SCUBA dive. The thought of my buoyancy compensator failing and not being able to ditch my weight belt, just going down, down, down, the water getting colder and darker...yikes.

Losing my mind, dementia, Alzheimer’s etc., doubly so if I realize it is happening.

Pythagorean said:
Flying doesn't bother me near as much as driving on highways where you're at the mercy of 100's of morons.

I do have some fear of driving through intersections - especially the ones that have already made the news because of a traffic fatality caused by someone running the red light.

Just the fact that I remember the news stories about particular intersections for years, or remember the tree that used to be on that street before an SUV killed it, etc, is probably slightly irrational. I certainly don't remember the murder stories that long.

Slightly off-topic: You ever notice how in movies, drivers are so afraid of collisions with motorcycles that they'll swerve into other cars to avoid them; yet they almost never see a truck coming and will fearlessly drive right in front of it?

For Will Smith and family, I would have to guess that their worst fear is watching Miley Cyrus perform.

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
I do have some fear of driving through intersections - especially the ones that have already made the news because of a traffic fatality caused by someone running the red light.

Just the fact that I remember the news stories about particular intersections for years, or remember the tree that used to be on that street before an SUV killed it, etc, is probably slightly irrational. I certainly don't remember the murder stories that long.

Slightly off-topic: You ever notice how in movies, drivers are so afraid of collisions with motorcycles that they'll swerve into other cars to avoid them; yet they almost never see a truck coming and will fearlessly drive right in front of it?

Most of my worst fear comes from watching russian dash cam videos. And a little bit from experience driving on the freeways with impatient people or, driving 600 miles south through a snowstorm in Alaska once, there was an abandoned car off the road every 50 miles, probably 4 or 5 cases of full emergency crew at the site of an accident along the whole trip. Just living in the city, you can sometimes hear sirens going all night on the first freeze as the newcomers learn to adjust their stopping expectations to a reduced coefficient of friction.

Having to watch someone I care about die a slow and painful death while being prevented from helping them.

<h2>1. What is your biggest fear?</h2><p>My biggest fear is failure. I am afraid of not reaching my goals and not living up to my potential.</p><h2>2. How do you cope with your fears?</h2><p>I cope with my fears by facing them head on and taking small steps to overcome them. I also practice mindfulness and remind myself that fear is a normal emotion.</p><h2>3. Can fear be a good thing?</h2><p>Yes, fear can be a good thing. It can motivate us to take action and protect ourselves from danger. However, it is important to not let fear control our lives.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to facing your fears?</h2><p>Yes, facing our fears can help us grow and become stronger individuals. It can also help us overcome obstacles and achieve our goals.</p><h2>5. How can we overcome our fears?</h2><p>We can overcome our fears by acknowledging them, understanding the root cause, and taking small steps to face them. It is also helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a professional therapist.</p>

1. What is your biggest fear?

My biggest fear is failure. I am afraid of not reaching my goals and not living up to my potential.

2. How do you cope with your fears?

I cope with my fears by facing them head on and taking small steps to overcome them. I also practice mindfulness and remind myself that fear is a normal emotion.

3. Can fear be a good thing?

Yes, fear can be a good thing. It can motivate us to take action and protect ourselves from danger. However, it is important to not let fear control our lives.

4. Are there any benefits to facing your fears?

Yes, facing our fears can help us grow and become stronger individuals. It can also help us overcome obstacles and achieve our goals.

5. How can we overcome our fears?

We can overcome our fears by acknowledging them, understanding the root cause, and taking small steps to face them. It is also helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a professional therapist.