How Do Scientists Define Time?

• Thread starter benzun_1999
  • Start date
In summary, time is a fundamental concept in physics, defined as the duration between two events and often described as the fourth dimension in the universe. It is not a physical entity, but a measurement of the duration of events. Time is measured using units such as seconds, minutes, hours, etc., based on the regular movements of objects. Although currently not manipulable, some theories suggest that time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. The existence of time outside of our perception is a philosophical question with no definitive answer in science.
benzun_1999
what istime??

dear reader,
my question is simple: what is time scientifically??[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows.

In quantum mechanics a parameter not an observable.

In relativity (both kinds) a dimension.

Beyond that, what he said.

NIST: time and frequency

to make more of 'time' requires philosophy.

SEP:time

SEP: the experience and perception of time

SEP: temporal logic

SEP: being and becoming in modern physics

questions: Is time essentially fundamental? Does every attempt to derive time lead back to concepts that already presuppose the existence of time/temporal references? Are time qualifiers in language irreducible elements? (example: "What happened before time began?" --> "happen", "***ed" past tense, "before", "begin", "***an" past tense)

Last edited:

Originally posted by benzun_1999
dear reader,
my question is simple: what is time scientifically??[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]

Time is basically that which distinguishes different states of the universe. For example: Consider actual but particular arrangement of particles in the universe. Since there are more than one such arrangements then what is different? Furthermore there is particular way in which these arrangements are related to each other. This relation is the "order" in the universe, or what is called "entropy." By 'order' I mean orderlyness of things. For example: If you room is quite neat then it's order is 'high.' Everything is in 'order.' If your room is a mess then its of 'low' order or 'disordered."

So this phenomena of different arrangements and the relationship to order is called "time."

As 'time' increases things change, i.e. the particles in the universe moved, and things move to an overall disorder.

So label these different arrangements with numbers and call these numbers the time. But not that the number itself is not time - time is that which the number refers to.

Pete

time is an independent factor,an abstract on.

finding relation between two unknown function is very difficult and may not have any. but with a known one its easy to define a function.

i hope that u got my point ..

pleae fell free to correct me it iam wrong...

Time is a measurement of motion applied to your measure of motion in yer brain. The relationship is your understanding of it. You prolly autta ask - What is motion.

1. What is time scientifically?

Time is a fundamental concept in physics and is defined as the duration between two events. It is often described as the fourth dimension in the universe, along with three dimensions of space.

2. Is time a physical entity?

No, time itself is not a physical entity. It is a measurement of the duration of events and is a fundamental concept in understanding the laws of physics.

3. How is time measured scientifically?

Time is measured using various units, such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc. These units are based on the regular and consistent movements of objects, such as the Earth's rotation around its own axis or its orbit around the Sun.

4. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, time is not something that can be manipulated or controlled by humans. However, some theories in physics, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

5. Does time exist outside of our perception?

This is a philosophical question that does not have a definitive answer in science. Some theories, such as the block universe theory, suggest that time exists as a whole, past, present, and future, and our perception of it is limited to the present moment.