1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Job/Career?

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    I dont know if this is appropriate here. But I just choose my GCSE options and they are 3rd science, geography and history, because they are my favourite. I am most interested in physics and want to travel alot. My dad is a Chief Electrician on a oil rig and said a good thing to do might be to do some sort of physics engineering and if I go with the right company could travel the world. Now I dont know if that made sense, but in my head it did. I was wondering if anyone could guide me on any specific careers or jobs which would include me traveling alot and involve physics? It would be greatly appreciated.

Luke.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2
    Sorry for double post, but if anyone does know, could you also post around what type of pay there would be. Just a curiosity.

Luke.

4. Aug 17, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Physics underlies a lot of engineering but if you want to go into engineering you might want to do an engineering degree. This is the most guaranteed direct path into a career.

However, lots of companies hire physicists as general technical / project managers because they assume that physicists are fairly bright and can understand problems in a range of technical areas.
    Another option is to work for a technical consultancy where you will travel and work in lots of different industries trying to find solutions to their problems.
    Look at someone like Schlumberger (http://www.slb.com/) for an example of the range of careers.

Most pay for physicsts isn't fantastic but you won't starve. A senior engineer, especially on something like a rig, will earn more.

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4
    Hey, thanks alot for your reply, its appreciated. I was thinking of engineering on a rig as every man in my family has worked on a rig except my brother, but his current path looks like he will come across it :)

Do you have any more info or a site on the senior engineer or anything like that, that I may look at?

Thanks

Luke

6. Aug 18, 2007 #5
    Hi Luke. I don't know if you were considering an academic career path, but this will also allow you to travel abroad. I just started last May as a graduate student in high energy astrophysics, and there are many opportunities for travel. Collaboration meetings are often held at varying locations around the world, so I will have the opportunity to go to many different places. Departments usually send professors (and their grad students) to conferences as well. So if you like to travel, I think this might be a good career path as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?