1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Journals to read

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    I am a new graduate student, and I was hoping someone might recommend some journals to start reading. I have interests in solid state and quantum computation, but I am also somewhat undecided and would like a breadth of information to help me choose a path.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One good starting place is to have a look at the journals your supervisor (or potential supervisors) publish in.

4. Aug 10, 2010 #3
    There are a surprising amount of these threads. Your supervisor should have recommended a few papers to read to 'get things started' with your research. Even if they only give you one or two articles - that's enough. Read them, then read the articles they refer to with parts that you want to know more about. Rinse, and repeat. With enough iterations you'll eventually pick up for yourself which articles may be considered seminal and which opinions are a bit more obscure.

Make notes when you are reading, as well. Otherwise, it isn't really necessary to 'choose a journal' to read any more. There is so much research out there, and it has been going on for so long, that you're better starting with a breadth first search. Use Google Scholar, google the keywords that you're interested in and you should find plenty to get started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook