Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Judicial decision has had the most impact upon American's lives?

1. Feb 21, 2004 #1
    I would have to say the "Roe vs Wade" case. It has contributed to mass genocide (fetuscide?) of tens of millions of "could have been Americans". In this group would have been countless Teachers, Doctors, Scientists, Engineers, etc. Maybe one of them would have found a cure for cancer, who knows.

I just cannot comprehend how this could have come about, especially in America.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2004 #2
    I've always been anti-abortion, and I'm not a Republican. The feminista movement wants you to believe that It's about a woman's right to choose, but the bottomline is, It's human life that we're killing.

4. Feb 21, 2004 #3
    I have to agree with you there. It reminds me of the old quote "All wars are civil wars because all men are brothers."

5. Feb 21, 2004 #4
    Anything which reduces sperm count has killed many more Americans. Perhaps male masturbation should be eliminated before abortion.

It has contributed to mass genocide (spermicide?) of trillions of trillions of "could have been Americans". In this group would have been countless Teachers, Doctors, Scientists, Engineers, etc. Maybe one of them would have found a cure for cancer, who knows.

6. Feb 21, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Or they could be serial killers, rapists, child molesters, another Hitler.

7. Feb 22, 2004 #6
    Marbury v Madison -> established judicial review

8. Feb 22, 2004 #7
    That was a very significant decision. Perhaps even the most significant.

9. Feb 22, 2004 #8

LURCH

Science Advisor

I would say the ratification fo the 19th amendment. More than half the votes that have decided the course of this nation since 1920 would not have been cast without it.

10. Feb 22, 2004 #9
    How is that a judicial decision?

11. Feb 22, 2004 #10
    brown VS the board of ed
    no seprate and unequal schools
    and the modern start of the civil rights movement

12. Feb 22, 2004 #11
    Why? When has masturbation murdered a child or nipped an innocent life in the bud? There's a great difference between a fertilized egg, the awesome union of sperm and egg, versus solitary sperm. Haven't your parents ever discussed sex education with you? Or did they leave it up to the liberal schools of shallow thought?

13. Feb 22, 2004 #12
    Guys, please keep it on track so the moderator gods don't get upset...

14. Feb 22, 2004 #13
    Cool. We wouldn't want it to get out of hand...

15. Feb 22, 2004 #14
    The potential to be a human is not created when an egg is fertilized. It always exists. So a sperm is just as much a "potential person" as a fertilized egg. The technical differences are not relevant, since nowhere in the medical description of conception does it say "and now the egg and sperm have magically become a human being".

Of course this is probably off topic. But while the token topic of this thread is about judicial decisions, the first couple posts seemed to show that this was really just an excuse to tell us how abortion is the worst thing in the history of the USA.

It wasn't really much of a thread anyway. The determination of what was the most influential decision is highly subjective, and even the posters like Dissident Dan who tried to make constructive contributions did little more than state a decision and give a brief summary. There hasn't been any actual discussion. So if some moderator wants to lock this thread it doesn't really bother me.

16. Feb 22, 2004 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

master_coda is right. The topic was "What Judicial decision has had the most impact upon American's lives?".

Roe vs Wade has been beneficial to a small portion of women in this country. It *is* a hot topic for a lot of religious and political groups, but it has not "impacted" their lives.

17. Feb 23, 2004 #16
    Easy. I agree with Dissident Dan. Marbury v. Madison, or else it's unlikely that there would be any of the following cases. It's affected every single American in the history of the United States.

Pretty much every other case has affected only a subset of the population of the US.

cookiemonster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?