Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What keeps particles together in Special Relativity?

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    Hi folks,
    I was thinking about this question for some time and I need some clarification. What is the take by relativity on electromagnetic forces and attraction between molecules, and other particles on a smaller scale? How do they compose objects on a macro level? I know that action at distance is impossible in relativity, so I believe that this facr certainly has some impact in the answer.

I'm looking forward to the answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can express everything with fields and local field equations, without instantaneous actions at a distance.

Quantum field theory includes special relativity, and it leads to the classical forces between charged particles in the limit of low energies (non-relativistic particles).

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the general problem of connecting the various forces is one of the important problems in modern physics. We really don't know the full answer to that question.

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see how connecting the different forces (mainly gravity with the other forces) is related to the question. All current (fundamental) descriptions of forces are based on special relativity.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5
    Can you describe any of those in short terms?

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook