What kind of air compressors are better?

In summary,An expert summarizer of content says that compressors that can withstand lower temperature of around -90°C are best and those can be found in rotary screw type compressors. However, the compressor may not perform similarly even in such cold temperature. The input pressure will be 1 bara and the output will be 6.4. The compression ratio will be 1:4.
pranj5
I want to know which kind of compressors are best for compressing very cold air. I mean as cold as they can operate in Antarctica during the winter when the temperature will reach around -50°C. In fact, I am looking for compressors that can withstand lower temperature of around -90°C. But, which kind of compressors can perform better in such conditions and where those can be found.
One of my friend told me that rotary screw compressors are best and they compress air almost isothermally. But, I want to know whether such compressor can perform similarly even in such cold temperature or not. It may be possible that new kind of problems will arise at such low temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
On the surface, someone might suggest a rotary compressor because there is no seal between the vanes and the casing, however selection is more about the trade-off between size and flow/pressure required.
Most trade tool compressors are reciprocating piston meaning you might get a few for the same cost as one rotary compressor of the same size, if available, but at a certain size the piston design becomes uneconomical and the rotating turbine is applied.
Regardless of the compressor selected rubbers and oils will be stiffer and more brittle, affecting their longevity, and wear at the mating parts unless replaced by a suitably softer or less viscous alternative.
So long as your motor will start, there are other considerations that apply depending on the application.

Actually I want to know what kind of companies can supply such kind of compressors.

Not my field but perhaps look at gas turbine engines as used on aircraft. The incoming air is V.cold at altitude.

pranj5 said:
Actually I want to know what kind of companies can supply such kind of compressors.
You need to specify the;
1. Volume of air input per minute.
2. Output pressure.
3. Output air temperature needed.

Since compression heats the air you might preheat the inlet air with the exhaust air by using an intercooler. That will reduce compression efficiency but will increase the compressor temperature.

The input pressure will be 1 bara and the output will be 6.4. By volume, the compression ratio will be 1:4. I want to the process to be as close to isothermal as possible. At present, market available compressors used water to keep the temperature of the gas/air during compression as stable as possible. But, as such low temperature, water will be useless and something else has to be used here.

What is the volume of input air, measured in metres3 or feet3 that you need to compress every minute or second?

Baluncore said:
What is the volume of input air, measured in metres3 or feet3 that you need to compress every minute or second?
Amount is not a factor here. I want to know how much scfm (standard Cubic feet per Minute) of compression can be achieved per kW. Scfm is the standard measurement for air/gas compressors.

pranj5 said:
pranj5 said:
I want to know how much scfm (standard Cubic feet per Minute) of compression can be achieved per kW.
Scfm per kW will depend on technology and the scale of the plant.
I would have thought you required some particular volume for some task.
You don't seem to know what you want.

Baluncore said:
Scfm per kW will depend on technology and the scale of the plant.
In that case, what kind of technology can give the best scfm/kW?

At present, performance of compressors has been measured with cfm/hp or cfm/kW. Now, question is whether the cfm is measured before compression or after compression?

You have gas engine or electric motor compressors for industrial applications or single-stage, piston-type ones for home use. The right tool should always match the level of difficulty of the job. Industrial-grade compressors are characterized or distinguished by their use of storage tanks.

Just tell me what kind of compressors can give close to isothermal compression. It's for industrial use.

I recommend you search on an industrial product listing site like GlobalSpec.

http://www.globalspec.com/

Likes aaronrodg
What are you trying to achieve with isothermal compression?

EDIT: Hang on, are you still trying to figure out a cycle to make an overunity machine via isothermal compression and adiabatic expansion (as described in your earlier thread here)? It still doesn't work.

Last edited:
cjl said:
EDIT: Hang on, are you still trying to figure out a cycle to make an overunity machine via isothermal compression and adiabatic expansion (as described in your earlier thread here)? It still doesn't work.
Do you want to call this an "overunity machine"?

Looks irrelevant to me...

Likes russ_watters
Mech_Engineer said:
Looks irrelevant to me...
That's your view. But, this is a proof that atmospheric heat can be extracted and converted into power.

pranj5 said:
That's your view. But, this is a proof that atmospheric heat can be extracted and converted into power.

So to be clear, you're trying to come up with a way to extract atmospheric heat and turn it into electrical energy? What will you be using for your hot and cold heat sources? You cannot extract energy without first having a temperature difference, and efficiency will be low for low temperature differences.

I don't want to discuss that in this thread. I just want to have some source of good turbine/machinery that can produce power/electricity with compressed air. That's all for now.

I think this thread has run its course and is locked. My suggestion is that you browse the catalogues of major vendors or better yet speak to sales reps about your needs. But I can assure you that they will require you to be more specific about what you want the compressor to do than you were being here.

1. What is the difference between a single-stage and two-stage air compressor?

A single-stage air compressor has one piston that compresses air directly into the storage tank. A two-stage air compressor has two pistons, where the first one compresses air into an intermediate storage tank, and the second one further compresses the air into the final storage tank. Two-stage compressors can generate higher air pressures and are more efficient for continuous use, while single-stage compressors are more suitable for occasional use.

2. Which type of air compressor is more portable?

Generally, piston air compressors are more portable than rotary screw air compressors. This is because piston compressors are smaller in size and can be carried around easily. However, there are also portable versions of rotary screw compressors available.

3. Are oil-free air compressors better than oil-lubricated ones?

It depends on the intended use of the air compressor. Oil-free compressors are better for applications that require clean and dry air, such as painting or medical equipment. However, for heavy-duty and continuous use, oil-lubricated compressors are more durable and efficient. They also require less maintenance compared to oil-free compressors.

4. What is the best type of air compressor for high-pressure applications?

For high-pressure applications, a two-stage air compressor is the better option. It can generate air pressures of up to 175 psi, while single-stage compressors typically have a maximum pressure of 135 psi. However, for extremely high-pressure applications, a multi-stage air compressor may be necessary.

5. Which brand of air compressor is the most reliable?

There are many reputable brands of air compressors on the market, and the most reliable one may vary depending on individual experiences and preferences. It is important to do research on the specific model and read reviews from other users before making a purchase. Some well-known and reliable brands include Ingersoll Rand, Quincy, and Campbell Hausfeld.